Are You An Alcoholic?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
This is Wikipedia's decription of Alcoholism. So whats yours? Mines in my signature :p
Alcoholism is a term with multiple sometimes conflicting definitions, but with no formal recognition of the divergence of meaning. In common and historical usage, alcoholism typically refers to any condition that results in the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages despite negative personal and social consequences. Medical definitions describe alcoholism as a disease which may result in a persistent difficulty in controlling alcohol consumption. Alcoholism may also refer to a preoccupation with or compulsion toward the consumption of alcohol and/or an impaired ability to recognize the negative effects of excessive alcohol consumption. Although not all of these definitions specify current and on-going use of alcohol as a qualifier, some do, as well as remarking on the long-term effects of consistent, heavy alcohol use, including dependence and symptoms of withdrawal.

While the ingestion of alcohol is, by definition, necessary to develop alcoholism, the use of alcohol does not predict the development of alcoholism. The quantity, frequency and regularity of alcohol consumption required to develop alcoholism varies greatly from person to person. In addition, although the biological mechanisms underpinning alcoholism are uncertain, some risk factors, including social environment, emotional health and genetic predisposition, have been identified.

Rule 1 : Your not an alcoholic until you admit you have a problem.

angry_wife.jpg

Depends on who you ask ;)

Batz

i try to sorround myself with people that are in a worse state than me..... seems to help

My hands don't shake, and I rarely have one before noon.

In my books that disqualifies me. :rolleyes:

Ah shit... Here we go again. <_<

Helloooo... My name is Warren and I'm an alcoholic and proud of it. :D

Warren -

I didn't have a say in the matter, the majority of my ancestry is Irish.

If I know the way home, and am walking along it drunkenly - is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? - Leo Tolstoy.

I'm not saying anything else without my lawyer present. :)

Ditto! I can never keep up with my brewing habit. I'm sitting next to about 150L of bottled homebrew at the moment, and I generally only do 15L batches...

Ditto! I can never keep up with my brewing habit. I'm sitting next to about 150L of bottled homebrew at the moment, and I generally only do 15L batches...

Thats only 13.6 brews.... How long having you been brewing? Now if you say i only started a week ago im gonna get you some help ;)

I'm not an alcoholic. But the little voice in my head keeps asking for another. :blink:

FROGMAN

I had a drinking problem, I couldn't get any between 10pm and 10am. I became a home brewer, now I don't have a drinking problem.