Airlock Not Bubbling With Coopers Mexican

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellsykes

Reaction score
Hay all, Rusty here. Have been a home brewer for a number of years and I have put on a Coopers Mexican brew and the airlock is not bubbling at all!!!I followed all the usual steps when putting on the brew but tried something different that may have done something to the yeast....After putting the cyrup in the required 22-23ltres of water, I placed the yeast in a cup of water (200ml) befor adding it to the tub....could this have done something to the yeast for it not to work? It has been on the heat mat now for the past 2 days and the tub has froth around the sides and alittle condensation on the lid but no action in the airlock.....The brew smells like great beer but I am unsure weather I am to bottle the beer after the week is done? Could anybody give advise on what I have done wrong (If anything) and whether I should still bottle the beer?

Hey mate,

Chances are that your lid isn't sealed completed and the CO2 is escaping from there rather than your airlock.

Froth sounds like krausen happening so it's likely fermenting. Draw off a sample and measure the SG, if it's less than the OG you're fermenting :)

Lodan

Edit: as for bottling, make sure that the SG hasn't changed over several days and that it is close to the estimated FG. It also doesn't hurt to leave the beer in the fermenter for longer too

Hay all, Rusty here. Have been a home brewer for a number of years and I have put on a Coopers Mexican brew and the airlock is not bubbling at all!!!I followed all the usual steps when putting on the brew but tried something different that may have done something to the yeast....After putting the cyrup in the required 22-23ltres of water, I placed the yeast in a cup of water (200ml) befor adding it to the tub....could this have done something to the yeast for it not to work? It has been on the heat mat now for the past 2 days and the tub has froth around the sides and alittle condensation on the lid but no action in the airlock.....The brew smells like great beer but I am unsure weather I am to bottle the beer after the week is done? Could anybody give advise on what I have done wrong (If anything) and whether I should still bottle the beer?

Do you use a hydrometer? Froth and condensation are signs the beer is fermenting (aroma is a signal that volatiles are probably being given off too). The airlock is a small piece of plastic, not a measuring instrument and really means diddly. It makes a nice noise - that's about it.

Please don't bottle just because the week is up - even if that's what you've done for years. measure with a hydrometer, make sure the gravity is stable and in the region you'd expect, leave the beer a few more days to round out the flavour, THEN bottle.

Don't worry about the lack of bubbles in the air lock it makes no different to the beer. In my short brewing life I have had some that bubble and other that don't. Trust your hydrometer, foam and condensation are both good signs. Good luck.

Hey mate,

Chances are that your lid isn't sealed completed and the CO2 is escaping from there rather than your airlock.

Froth sounds like krausen happening so it's likely fermenting. Draw off a sample and measure the SG, if it's less than the OG you're fermenting :)

Lodan

Edit: as for bottling, make sure that the SG hasn't changed over several days and that it is close to the estimated FG. It also doesn't hurt to leave the beer in the fermenter for longer too

Hay Lodan,

Thanks mate, I will do some test's b4 bottling.......Thanks 4 ya feed back fella.....Rusty

Do you use a hydrometer? Froth and condensation are signs the beer is fermenting (aroma is a signal that volatiles are probably being given off too). The airlock is a small piece of plastic, not a measuring instrument and really means diddly. It makes a nice noise - that's about it.

Please don't bottle just because the week is up - even if that's what you've done for years. measure with a hydrometer, make sure the gravity is stable and in the region you'd expect, leave the beer a few more days to round out the flavour, THEN bottle.

Hay Manticle, Thanks your feedback, I will do some test's and hopefully have a nice beer afterwards.....Cheers mate. Rusty

Don't worry about the lack of bubbles in the air lock it makes no different to the beer. In my short brewing life I have had some that bubble and other that don't. Trust your hydrometer, foam and condensation are both good signs. Good luck.

Chhers mate, for the feedback......Its great to talk with other home brewers and get tips.....Thanks heaps fella.Rusty

Rusty

A week is not that long in the fermenter
Like others have said take a gravity reading and dont bottle unless its stable

Hope it turns out good for you

cheers
bjay

Rusty

A week is not that long in the fermenter
Like others have said take a gravity reading and dont bottle unless its stable

Hope it turns out good for you

cheers
bjay

Cheers mate for your feedback....Will definetly take a reading to make sure all is good. Rusty

Latest posts

Back