AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Makes a lot of sense.
200 yrs ago they drank beer because it was safer than water.
I still uphold that theory. :)
And I feel like I'm one of the gods when I'm drinking wine :)

101 is the starting wieght for me. First goal is to get down to 95...

Hey guys,
I'm loving the response to this thread!

Don't forget, weigh in day tomorrow!

I'm keen as though weigh in for me isn't till January 4. I don't see why I would start the whole eating clean before Christmas and New years to only ruin it through that period

Good luck to all!

Liam_snorkel said:
Posting to subscribe, might join in after xmas period.

For me, routine is the key. Whenever I drop my routine, the pudge grows. Planning meals throughout the week, at least 3 days with no beer, and a couple of jogs to keep the blood flowing.

Also calorie counting (for at least a week straight including a weekend) every so often helps to remind me how much of and what I should be eating.. I find it easy to lose track of proper portion size. For anyone looking for recipes I'd recommend the CSIRO Total Wellbeing books or whatever they are called. Not "diet food" by any means, just good balanced tucker.
So you've pudged up since high school then Liam?

brewdrew said:
So you've pudged up since high school then Liam?
Yeah mate I got mega-fat for a while, sleep apnoea etc. Lost a lot of that and got fit again, but I'm still probably carrying about 20kg of extra weight.

Fellas...what's your secret to gaining weight? (not sarcastic, being serious.) I drink a fair bit and naturally eat crap whilst doing so, yet im still 60kg on 6'0 frame. That's nearly underweight...

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS YOU FAT BASTARDS :D

Easy

Homer-Doughnut.jpg

HomerSimpson22.gif

rheffera said:
Fellas...what's your secret to gaining weight?
Set an alarm for every 10mins when you go to bed so you never get to sleep, then have caffiene / sugar during the day to keep yourself awake. You will gain weight and feel terrible.

Jeez Liam, I'm only getting woken up a couple of times a night by dogs next door & I feel like an absolute zombie. Don't know how you survived!

Joining WeightWatchers over 35 years ago did it for me.
Started off at 14stone 10 pounds (93.5kg).
Finished at 10 stone 10 pounds (68Kg) 3 months later which was probably a little overdone seeing as I lost almost 1/3 of my bodyweight.
Am currently getting into my swims, bike & walks again & hoping to lose 2.7Kg before Christmas to get back down to my ideal weight of 72.0Kg.

Can't thank WeightWatchers enough.
New clothes, new fitness, etc more than made up for all the Scotch & water I had to drink seeing that beer was a no-no ATT. :D

Change of lifestyle for me.
No meal, beer intake changes, lived off junk, i have never been to a gym.

2 years of Coles early shifts - 65kg.
5 years of IT Database engineer, went from 65 -> 88kg.
4 Months ago i started a carpentry apprentership. 88kg -> 74kg and beer gut is *nearly* gone.

No target weight here. Actually expecting to build up a few KG's as i get more muscle, however i tend to lose a kg every 2-3 weeks. But so far im happy.

I guess work keeps my weight in balance, give me another beer!

110/70 for me. 85ish Kg, 175cm.Need to work on fitness and strength. Beer belly is somewhat noticable

rheffera said:
Fellas...what's your secret to gaining weight? (not sarcastic, being serious.) I drink a fair bit and naturally eat crap whilst doing so, yet im still 60kg on 6'0 frame. That's nearly underweight...

worms.jpg
Try this for a start mate!

Keen to get on this as well fellas. Have gained about 15kg since moving to the suburbs. Found out my blood pressures a tad high too so need to shed some kilo's and get back in shape. Will look for the scales in the brewery and drag them back to the house.

rheffera said:

As a few others here might have alluded to working in IT is a great strategy. I was about 68kg when I finished uni, after 2 months of cycling around NZ I came back at 61kg with a plan to get back up to the high 60's which is probably about right for me. A year into working in IT and I was probably around about 70, still cycling lots and swimming/running when I could.

I then moved out west, started working from home, driving the 1600km round trip once a month (doing honours at uni and coming back for meetings, had to stop for a pie at the bakery on the way), didn't ride/swim/run and got into the country lifestyle ritual of going to the pub on a Friday night with the rest of town. My weight steadily climbed to about 98kg in 3 years. As you can imagine putting on an extra 50% of your body weight isn't exactly the greatest health move.

So if you want to put on weight: lots of work, beer, chocolate, pies, lack of sleep etc. If you want to put on weight in a healthy manner to get to a better weight (realising that being underweight can be just as bad as being overweight) I'd go with eating that one or two extra fork fulls of carbs with each meal and that extra healthy snack each day. It doesn't take much to tip the balance.

For years working late was an excuse for not exercising. Now exercising is my excuse for not working late.

Yeah im all for gaining healthy weight. I usually only eat twice a day(assuming im not drinking) as i get up at 11am after work which is far too close to lunch for me. I usually eat a big dinner, heaps of mashed potatoes so that solves the carb issue..

Although i may be 60kg alot of the time i feel sluggish, like i weigh several times more than i do.

Good luck to you all on your weight loss, although the hobby we share isn't encouraging of it.

Back