AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either way if it is too dry for you pansies on the day, im happy to take it home to consume if its 'not acceptable'. :icon_cheers:
Hmmm, being called 'pansy' by a cider drinker, eh? I think I might go invest in a couple of black ink markers for when you fall asleep again :ph34r:

I just re-used some US-05 slurry, nothing fancy. I think the key would be to keep an eye on the fermentation, and cold crash it once it reaches about 1.010-1.012, filter, and force carb. Cause I'm bottling, I had to wait for fermentation to complete, and it just kept going, and going, and going...

s04 in a cider is great. stops about 1.012-1.015 so you still get that sweetness. i've got a keg of cider on at the moment from kellybrook apple juice purchased at the cider festival....unfortuanly i couldnt get a packet of yeast into fast enough and the wil yeast from the kellybrook winery stole the show and it finished lineball 1.000 as well. its dry and has a funky taste from all the wild yeast. lambic cider anyone? does still tatse alright tho just a touch sour but its still coming into its own.

Breton ciders are great so if it tastes anything like one of those it should be a cracker.

I just spoke to big Barra and he is going to try and get over for a few beers on the day

Rook

barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra! big neddy!

tell him two conditions rook....no towing boats off road....and no stinking out my bar room with those mammoth farts again.

tell him two conditions rook....no towing boats off road....and no stinking out my bar room with those mammoth farts again.
Three conditions:

No dropping hot coals down the back of my neck like he did last year.

Three conditions:

No dropping hot coals down the back of my neck like he did last year.

My understanding was that was a threat!?!

BTW, off to mountain goat tonight if anyone is interested in a beer or 7! :icon_cheers:

barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra! big neddy!

LOL.......the boy can certainly drop a mean fart

I also got some of the Kellybrook pressed cider! I forgot to keep an eye on it, (well actually, I couldn't be arsed cleaning kegs in time), and it finished at 996! I tested it a few days after getting it, and the wild yeast had already kicked it off, so my OG after "some" fermentation, was 1055! Bloody strong and bloody dry! Chucking a bit of fresh apple juice with it makes it delicious!

Yes, and whatever other wild yeast was in there. At the festival they had a Somerset cider (or something like that), that was about 8% and was fermented with a wild yeast. So I'm guessing (hoping) it was the same one... :unsure: It has turned out quite nice for my first cider, just wish I had stopped the ferment a bit earlier.

and whatever else wild yeast was in there! :icon_cheers:

Well, the Kolsch has altered to a little more like an alt/brown.... Lets say that it's best not to have apprentices assisting with grain grinding and weighing when preparing the rest of the gear..... But I'm pretty confident - I did pick up the issue before we started the Mash - just that the grain was already in the Tun pre mixed.... So a few tweaks to the hopping schedule, and I'm hoping I've come across a ripper.... Time will tell.

I know you'll prob all say that I'm a little late in getting it into the fermenter - went in yesterday - but I plead for a little bit of leniency - has been a chaotic 2 months around home.... It will be bottled and partially conditioned when you get it - may just need a few weeks extra to make the most of it. (will be labelled as such though!)

OK, I finally did my case swap brew yesterday!

I wanted to do something that I had all of the ingredients on hand, and something that I hadn't done before. I had a quick look in the march-april BYO mag, the night before, and found that the Slipstream Cream Ale, had an ingredient list that I had on hand.

I will try and dig up the recipe thread now and post my recipe. I changed it a little, but it is similar. If this beer doesn't work out, I also have 30 bottles of a fat yak clone that I attempted. I've had a fwe mates (megaswillers), that have said that they think it is the best beer I have made, but I dissagree. It stopped at 1020, and I couldn't get it down any lower, so it is a bit sweeter than I was wanting. But I will compare the 2 and give you all the better one. Might get some other AHBer's to do a taste test for me.

:ph34r: Crap, looks like i might come up two or three bottles short on the quota of 28! Turns out my fermenter is only holding around 19L of wort! Dont how know i miscalc'd, thats a first in a long while for my post boil volumes! Either way i'll try and squeese as much out of it as i can (the beauty of a filter!)

Considering the beer im making is a hop monster, the remainder bottles i might make up with my Haus Hopped POR ale if there are others not wanting a hop monster can have? Oh, the guesstimation of the IBUs would actually be around 25~ from what im getting on my palate compared to the recipe. Quite balanced indeed! One of the cleanest light coloured ales ive made to date.

Hausgrown POR Ale
Australian Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/05/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
2.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 39.60 %
2.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 39.60 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.80 %
0.05 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
30.00 gm Pride Of Ringwood HG [10.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 36.8 IBU
4.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.56 %
Bitterness: 36.8 IBU
Est Color: 6.1 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 72.7 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 L of water at 81.5 C 73.0 C

Notes
CaCl2 Mash
CaSO4 Boil

:ph34r: Crap, looks like i might come up two or three bottles short on the quota of 28! Turns out my fermenter is only holding around 19L of wort! Dont how know i miscalc'd, thats a first in a long while for my post boil volumes! Either way i'll try and squeese as much out of it as i can (the beauty of a filter!)
I had a similar, but entirely different problem with the backup brew. According to the fermenter, I had 25 litres in there (and yeah, I'm sure that's not millilitre accurate but it's gotta be at least ballpark!).

So I start filling bottles, and I'm thinking "errr... this is going down real fast". Every long neck was taking almost a full litre out of the fermenter. So I pull out the measuring cup, and start loading no-rinse into one of my empties. 1 cup (250ml), 2 cups (500ml), 3 cups (750ml)... At three cups, the bottle is still looking distinctly un-full. It ended up taking between 850ml and 900ml before the bottle was what I would consider "full" (i.e. a reasonable amount of headspace at the top, but no-one is going to look at the bottle and think they were short-changed).

Fark! So turns out I have 27 bottles filled. And I still need to try one to see if it is actually drinkable, so we're down to 26. Warmbeer assures me we'll have dropouts and I worry too much. Still, it's the backup brew, and the planned brew had some yeast chucked on it last night. I'll buy some fresh coopers PET's for this one so I don't fall short again.

In other news though, the wort tasted delicious. Assumming nothing catastrophic happens in the next few weeks, it should be a good 'un. I won't be posting any recipes though until it's in the bottle and tested!

LOL.......the boy can certainly drop a mean fart

I would never accept a lift from Barra.

The chance he might put you into a ditch (ask Fents about that one) isn't the dealbreaker though :

Imagine being in a small enclosed space with one of his air biscuits.
You would die. If you didn't, you would probably ask the next person you met to euthanise you.

im interested in what sort of bottles they are zebba.
A mix of melbourne bitter and vb longnecks.

And a quick google reveals that in 2007 CUB reduced their bottle size from 800ml to 750ml. These are oldish bottles (some hand-me-downs from Reg, some purchased from LHBS), so I'm guessing they are all the 800ml variety. And I probably fill them too much.

A mix of melbourne bitter and vb longnecks.

And a quick google reveals that in 2007 CUB reduced their bottle size from 800ml to 750ml. These are oldish bottles (some hand-me-downs from Reg, some purchased from LHBS), so I'm guessing they are all the 800ml variety. And I probably fill them too much.
Yup, for a while there MB longies were 800ml. Same old sh!t, bigger bucket.

Latest posts

Back