Age Epicure Article - A Darker Shade Of Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
from today's melbourne Epicure - link

ahh when will writers not be so lazy and put some effort into their articles. of all the darker ales on the market they pick, asai black, coopers vintage, guinness anniversary stout and monteiths winter dopplebock.

at least we are getting a few more good news beer articles.

Meh, disposable article. Willie Simpson usually writes more informative articles for the Age, maybe the idylic life down in Tassie is turning him complacent to us Northerners.

What about some of the decent commercial winter warmers. Holgate Temptress, 3 Ravens Black, Coopers Extra Stout, anything by Unibroue :icon_drool2:

ahh when will writers not be so lazy and put some effort into their articles.

I don't think Willie can ussually be called lazy when it comes to beer articles but yeah a couple nationally availible craft brewed dark ales could have made the article.

He's talking about new releases, for what it's worth though i don't really think that craft beer is a big interest in the target demographic of that liftout, whereas wine seems to take up quite a bit more real estate there.

Still i guess he could have said "also available try these" and then plugged something from Seven Sheds which would have been worse IMO

i would hardly call coopers vintage a new release or the dopplebock. they may be seasonal releases but then there's still a heap of other beers that come under that heading.

Yeah, the selection covered is not up to Willie's usual standard, but I guess being tucked away in a corner of Tassie setting up/running his own micro he isn't exactly able to trot down to Dan Murphys or head across to a bunch of vic craft breweries for samplers.

I'd like to see the guy review some of the tassie drops now he's down there. 2 metre tall, Hazards and the like - there's some interesting brewing going on in Tassie and we're all hearing heaps about Vic and imports but little else in Epicure.

At least he's giving us a break from the wine reviews I guess. Seem to only get beer articles in the Ep every fortnight. <_<

Hopper.

Back