Ag Recipe For Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was under the impression that their "mild" was just the Pale Ale without the sugar.

It certainly looks that way, on the coopers web site they make special note in the beer descriptions that the Mild Ale, premium Lager and Premium light do not have sugar added, as per this description:
Coopers MIld Ale
This ale is the product of brewing with a selection of barley and wheat malt, and with no added sugar. This traditional brewing approach provides the smooth malt character which is balanced by a triple hopping of the brew with Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops. The brew has fermented similarly to its stablemates Pale and Sparkling Ale, with the customary secondary fermentation in the bottle and can. Alc/Vol 3.5%
fromCoopers Mild Ale

But they make no such claim for the rest of their brews including the Pale Ale, which to me would suggest they do use sugar in some of their beers.

Cheers
Andrew

It was my understanding that they were up to about 16% sugar. When I was at the brewery for a tour during last years AABC judging they told us the yeast was removed from the beer and a measured amount was added back to the bottle. They also told us there was only one yeast strain. Somebody in the brewing staff is making things up.

Thought it might cause stir. :D

The only other option I can think of about the "no sugar" claim is that they use a wheat derived glucose or maltose syrup and don't consider it sugar?

Another interesting point he made was that their business is close to 50% beer and 50% malt extract / home brew. When beer sales go up home brew sales go down and vice versa - must be a lot of price conscious drinkers out there.

Cheers, Andrew.

Very interesting on the no sugar thing I think that needs a bit more in depth look into rather than taking his word for it. It could be the other non malt derived enzymmes added solely that get them the attenuation either way theres no doubt to make the same beer at home sugar its needed. It all worth while getting to the bottom of this as it doesn't quite add up. I'am pretty sure non malt enzymmes are used in the brewery for sure but wether it is solely that which is responsible for the extra attenuation I have no idea at all but could find out but it could possibly be deemed to be to senstive a infomation.

The mash effiency some one mentioned is simply they can get over 100% because the quoted total expected yeild (100%) is that of a standard lab mash and the meura mash filter can yield more extract from the grain than the lab can. Ie the lab quoted total expected yeild is not actually the most that is physically possible to get but simply how much a standard lab mash can get out of it, so you can given a multi million dollar mashing and filtering system possibly get more yield than the lab can.

As far as the filtering doesn't happen for the ales he forget to mention they are centrifuged though or at least a portion of it is to clear it up a little more than it would be otherwise.

This is all coming out of my boozed, broozed and broken memory so don't quote anything or i'll come around and drink all your beer.

Jayse

*BUMP* :D

Brewing for a mates bucks party - already got 3 beers down, need a 4th. So far i have a pils in the region of Budvar, a knappstein-esque pils (lower alc and lighter on hops) and a JSGA-ish beer. All of these might challenge the West End drinking crowd. A CPA might balance things out - some people dont like 'fruit' in their beers.......

Any reports on the recipes posted here - particularly AndrewQLDs which is one i have had sitting in beersmith for a while?

When we talk sugar in this recipe is it table sugar, dex or (gulp) sucrose?

I was a proud member of the All Malt kit beer society and here i am asking questions about putting sugar in an AG. Wait, its not AG. Aaaaargh i am going backwards. :eek:

Seriously - anyone had any luck?

Cheers
DrSmurto

you need to lighten the body of a CPA with some table sugar, dexy, whatever floats your boat. Yes, I see it as a step backwards as well :)

As tangent has said You will definitely need to add sugar to lighten the body to get a near enough clone, either white cane or raw sugar and you can invert that if you want to.

From memory mine was for a 28-30Lbatch

2.8kg Ale malt
1.2kg pilsner
500g unmalted raw wheat
400g Flaked barley
450g sugar

A 20 min protein rest at 52-55C for 15-20min then mash for another hour 60 min

Your also looking at an OG of around 1.040-45

Recultured coopers yeast fermented at 16-17C

Thats just from memory and may not be exactly right, but have a play on beersmith.

Cheers
BB

I would suggest asking Boilerboy for his Sparkling ale recipe!

As good as the real thing.

cheers

Darren

Good old table sugar is fine, and sometimes you need to use these odd ingredients if you want to brew a CLONE.

Any reports on the recipes posted here - particularly AndrewQLDs which is one i have had sitting in beersmith for a while?

I have had plenty of success with AndrewQLDs recipe :lol:

Cheers
Andrew

As tangent has said You will definitely need to add sugar to lighten the body to get a near enough clone, either white cane or raw sugar and you can invert that if you want to.

From memory mine was for a 28-30Lbatch

2.8kg Ale malt
1.2kg pilsner
500g unmalted raw wheat
400g Flaked barley
450g sugar

A 20 min protein rest at 52-55C for 15-20min then mash for another hour 60 min

Your also looking at an OG of around 1.040-45

Recultured coopers yeast fermented at 16-17C

Thats just from memory and may not be exactly right, but have a play on beersmith.

Cheers
BB

Looks a little light on IBU's or do you distill this sucker :lol:

Hi

Cant speak for BoilerBoys CSA clone, but can speak on the recipe for AndrewQLD's CPA clone. Recipe is great straight at beginning of this thread, I have used simple table sugar in same quantities quoted in recipe.

Fermented at 18 and yeast was from CSA.

Cheers

Phil

disclaimer: no AG expert, only 8 under the belt, but have been dringking CPA for about 15 years prior to making clone)

Looks a little light on IBU's or do you distill this sucker :lol:

Yes, yes the glaring omission of some POR :p :D to around 25 IBU's

Its basically an adaption of a partial recipe on the Grumpy's fav recipes.

And I think to make that above recipe into a sparkling ale (CSA) I added around 300g of caramunich1 and some exttra ale or pils malt to get an OG of 1.050-52 for the higher alc%

Cheers
BB

IMHO a CPA needs a speise carbonation or some FRESH POR dry hopping to get the magic we love.

...it's nice to have on tap for the 'I don't drink HB' visitors...

If I knew any beer drinkers with that attitude they wouldn't be allowed in my house let alone drinking my beer (HB or not) ;) :beer:

Havent used either flaked barley or raw wheat. Where do i get these from? Is one of them otherwise know as puffed wheat - the same stuff people have for breakfast. (Christ i sound like a newbie far too often :( )

SO playing around with it in beersmith i have this - decided on the sparkling ale which i prefer anyway.

20L batch OG 1050 13.9 EBC 24.2 IBU
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 48.78 %
1.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 24.39 %
0.30 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 7.32 %
0.25 kg Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC) Grain 6.10 %
0.20 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 4.88 %
20.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
10.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.35 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 8.54 %
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #-) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Subbed and reduced caramunich III cos thats what i can get. Guess i need to drink a few CPAs 2nite to get some yeast..... if i must :D

actually, this is somewhere between the pale and sparkling... :huh: i think someone slipped me a decaf this morning..... what am i doing?

Hi DrSmurto,
This is the recipe I use to make a CPA clone.
I got it from Andrew qld and it is spot on as far as I am concerned. I used the yeast cultured from a CPA bottle.
Scale it to suit your brew size and give it a go, you won't be dissapointed.
To invert the sugar I simmer it in a separate pot for about 20 mins with a half a pinch of citric acid.

DROOPER'S PALE ALE

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 51.00 Wort Size (L): 51.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.32
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 10.86
Anticipated EBC: 8.3
Anticipated IBU: 23.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
79.3 6.60 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
4.2 0.35 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
2.0 0.17 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 56
14.4 1.20 kg. Invert Sugar Home Made 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35.00 g. PRIDE OF RINGWOOD Pellet 10.20 23.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----

COOPERS COOPERS ALE

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 7.12
Water Qts: 22.57 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 21.36 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 67 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 76 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 76 Time: 30

Total Mash Volume L: 26.11 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Cheers

Back