Ag Recipe For Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben said:
coopers on tap however is much nicer than bottle
Here in Adelaide Coopers PA on tap can vary wildly. From sugary sweet to an almost extract tang.
Coopers PA in the bottle is always on spec. I think they only bottle the good stuff and keg anything that is not quite up to scratch.
just my obs,
cheers
Darren

I would go for,
Sugar bill 80% "ale" malt (lager malt will be too clean).
10% malted wheat
10% liquid sucrose (boiled for entire boil)
SG 1.042
Pride of ringwood hops for 25 IBU (insist on new season FRESH as stale POR hops are NASTY)
ferment with Australian ale yeast. The flavours imparted by the yeast is the hardest of the CPA characteristics to acheive. Many people will tell you that the bottle strain is the ferment strain.
All I know is many years ago when some Coopers yeast came to a department I worked in, it was kept under lock and key. Strange thing to do with a yeast that freely available in every bottle.
Darren

Hi all,

I've just done an AG CPA clone. It went in the fermenter on Saturday, and got off to an intense start (24hr wort starter). It hit 1010 on Wednesday am. It's now thursday pm, and I'm still reading 1010. Brewsmith says that it should hit 1009, and a few other places on the web have said it should finish as low as 1006. What's the deal? Should I just keg it and move on, or wait a bit longer?

Cheers

Benno

This is a standard brew in our house, the grain bill is taken from the white board at the coopers brewery. Coopers only hop with POR for bittering , no flavour or aroma.
It should ferment down to 1.006, but you will need a good attenuating yeast, aerate your wort VERY well and a good 1lt starter of yeast.

Cheers
Andrew

Style: Australian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (48.0) Light malt, dry and crisp with a good bitterness at the finish

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.54 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 79.9 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 4.6 %
0.03 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (116.8 SRM) Grain 0.7 %
27.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.65 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 14.8 %
1 Pkgs Australian Ale (White Labs #WLP009) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.73 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.19 L of water at 72.5 C 65.0 C 60 min

Darren said:
Ben said:
coopers on tap however is much nicer than bottle
Here in Adelaide Coopers PA on tap can vary wildly. From sugary sweet to an almost extract tang.
Coopers PA in the bottle is always on spec. I think they only bottle the good stuff and keg anything that is not quite up to scratch.
just my obs,
cheers
Darren
[post="28811"][/post]​

Could'nt agree more ,I've been saying this for years now.

I had a pale last year close to christmas and it had strong diacetyl a'la a green H'b made with a coopers reculture.The bottle variety is far more consistent.

And on the coopers subject ,sparkling aint what it used to be either.Less of that fruitiness and a more lagerlike thinner body IMO than it used to be.

GT(tdh) tells me the fg on cpa is 1002 which says it all really.

Guest Lurker said:
Looks good thanks Andrew, might give it a try. Preferred ferment temp?
[post="73783"][/post]​

16-18c GL, keeps it nice and clean.

cheers
Andrew

nice work Matt.
i remember seeing that photo in that book and thinking "whoa Coopers aren't going to like this but brewers sure are."
I'm glad someone finally used it.

try my chocolate test
eat some lindt dark chocolate then drink some coopers pale
that's gotta be part Belgian
it's almost a Hoegaarden!!

Andrew,

It is some time since I've seen the 'Coopers Whiteboard/Blackboard' or whatever it was and I never recorded it......stupid.
Do you have a copy? If you do have a copy, or anybody else, I would like to see it again.

Lindsay.

The following details were posted in another thread.

DB 5100 pale malt, 80 crystal
export 6200 pale, 240 wheat
pale ale 4600 pale, 40 crystal, 200 wheat
premium 5500 pale, 60 crystal (listed as 'medium'), 280 wheat
dark ale 4650 pale, 200 wheat, 200 black
ale 5900 pale, 40 crystal, 240 wheat
stout 5000 pale, 440 wheat, 600 black
vintage 6200 pale, 60 crystal (medium), 350 wheat

Apparently, they use about 15% simple sugars (use sucrose, dextrose or invert syrup) and Coopers Pale Ale is about 29 IBUs.

There's some speculation about what the "medium" malt is. The conclusion I've seen elsewhere is that its either a very dark crystal or a pale chocolate malt.

Since this came up, I've become interested in cloning some of the Coopers beers as I haven't played with their yeast since my kit brewing days. Anyway, I'm planning to brew this some time soon:

Coopers Pale Ale Clone.

Final volume of 30 litres at my normal mash efficiency; about 28 litres into fermenter
after losses.

4.6kg Pale Malt (JW Trad. Ale)
200g Wheat Malt
40g Crystal (JW medium crystal 140 EBC)

500g Invert Syrup (full boil)

Infusion Mash, 60 minutes at 66 degrees C.

Sparge down to 1.010 runnings, then top up boiler to 35 litres
Boil for 75-90 minutes to final volume of 30 litres

30g Pride of Ringwood pellets (10%AA) @ 60 minutes
1/2 tablet whirlfloc @ 20 minutes
1 tsp yeast nutrient @ 10 minutes

1.5 litre starter, yeast re-cultured from Coopers Pale Ale.

OG = 1.042, Colour = 4 SRM, Bitterness = 29 IBUs
Should ferment down to about 1.006 - 1.008 for between
4.5% and 4.8% alc/vol.

cheers,
Colin

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Just been on the Malting and Brewing course at Ballarat Uni last week and had a chat with John Hood from Coopers who gave a talk on post fermentation processing. On questioning he revealed the following info (among other stuff I have probably forgotten).

1. They only use cane sugar for bottle conditioning, otherwise beers are all malt. :eek:
2. There is more than one yeast strain for the ales (eg: extra stout yeast gives big banana esters).
3. Fermenting strain is bottling strain.
4. Ale fermentation temp is 18C.
5. Ales are not filtered or pastuerised before bottling.

Also Foster's Abbotsford was impressive with the bank of 12 x 660,000 litre, 30 m high, primary fermenters. Shame about the contents.

CUB/LN seem to run their normal brews at around 30-35% sugar, mostly cane sugar but there is a recent swing towards wheat glucose or maltose syrup with the higher sugar price.

Cheers, Andrew.

Great info, thanks Millet Man!

Numbers 1, 2 and 5 definitely challenge my current thinking.

Nice work!

Yeah, I am surprised to hear that they are all malt. I am planning on brewing a big batch of this style of beer for my dad soon. The recipe I was planning on using was something like...

84% Ale malt
5% Wheat malt
1% Crystal
10% Sugar
POR to bitter (no finishing hops)

But now I don't know what to do! :lol:

Maybe if the sugar is dropped and the base malt is swapped to Pilsner it may work out to be fairly similar in colour...

94% Pilsner malt
5% Wheat malt
1% Crystal

Yeah, I am surprised to hear that they are all malt. I am planning on brewing a big batch of this style of beer for my dad soon. The recipe I was planning on using was something like...

84% Ale malt
5% Wheat malt
1% Crystal
10% Sugar

But now I don't know what to do! :lol:

Maybe if the sugar is dropped and the base malt is swapped to Pilsner it may work out to be fairly similar in colour...

94% Pilsner malt
5% Wheat malt
1% Crystal

I make an Aussie ale often,it's nice to have on tap for the 'I don't drink HB' visitors.
An addition of a small amount of Cluster as a finishing hop rounds the flavour off nicely.

Batz

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Just been on the Malting and Brewing course at Ballarat Uni last week and had a chat with John Hood from Coopers who gave a talk on post fermentation processing. On questioning he revealed the following info (among other stuff I have probably forgotten).

1. They only use cane sugar for bottle conditioning, otherwise beers are all malt. :eek:
2. There is more than one yeast strain for the ales (eg: extra stout yeast gives big banana esters).
3. Fermenting strain is bottling strain.
4. Ale fermentation temp is 18C.
5. Ales are not filtered or pastuerised before bottling.

Also Foster's Abbotsford was impressive with the bank of 12 x 660,000 litre, 30 m high, primary fermenters. Shame about the contents.

CUB/LN seem to run their normal brews at around 30-35% sugar, mostly cane sugar but there is a recent swing towards wheat glucose or maltose syrup with the higher sugar price.

Cheers, Andrew.

Interesting info Andrew, I am not surprised on any of the points except No. 1.
I find it very hard to believe they can get a FG of 1.006 without using some form of sugar in the brew, also from the whiteboard recipe photo it would seem if they aren't using any sugar they would have to be achieving well over 100% mash efficiency <_< . Or is it possible they are using enzymes to get the most out of the yeasts?

Cheers
Andrew

Well, jayse seems to know a bit about the coopers "Mash press" that claims 110% efficiency - not sure how that works at all.

Interesting that they are all-malt - i guess they must mash low for major attenuation, the yeast is already quite attenuative though (i have got it up to about 82% but that was with some sugar)

i thought they bragged that the Heritage was their 1st "all malt" brew?

I was under the impression that their "mild" was just the Pale Ale without the sugar.

Back