Aeration of can kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering if it's important to aerate the wort in can kits after adding yeast?

Wort is wort, so just as important for kit fermentation as other brewing methods IMHO
If aerating after pitching the yeast do it within the first 12 hours or so.

Not required because you are usually adding tap water, which is already aerated. (Different story if you are adding boiled then cooled water, but don't know why you would do that for kits.)

Aerate before adding the yeast, give a good stir then sprinkle the yeast on top of the foam. Never failed in don't know how many brews. I found if you add the yeast and then aerate by stirring, half the yeast is stuck to the side of the fermenter above the foam.

The more O2 you can get into solution, the happier your yeast and the better your end product will be.

Whip it, whip it good.

There is a lot about the need to aerate or oxygenate your wort and I'm sure they are right with liquid yeasts and reusing any yeast from a previous batch but if you are using new/fresh packet of dry Dastar Yeast such as Nottingham or BRY-97 or Fermentis Yeast such as US-05, S-04, WB-06 etc them from what I have read as long as you follow the directions and rehydrate them then you don't need to worry about aerating etc.

Now I know this will open a can of worms with those that say you don't need to rehydrate as well as those that say you need to aerate

My experience with my pressure fermenting system rehydrating dry yeast and adding to wort that hasn't been aerated works fine

Wobbly

You are correct wobbly. :)
I rarely use dry yeast & had forgotten about the instructions on the ones I've used
I stand corrected!

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with giving your dry yeast the best start in life by re-hydrating it before pitching.
I've aerated both before & after adding the (liquid) yeast. Makes no difference IMHO.
Adding the pic because I can. :p

Can of Worms.jpg

Gloveski said:
Aerate that wort
Wot he said.

stm said:
Not required because you are usually adding tap water, which is already aerated. (Different story if you are adding boiled then cooled water, but don't know why you would do that for kits.)
Not wot he said.

Cold side brewing principles are generally the same what ever hot side you use.

Yes aerate, yes use good yeast, yes use temperature controls. And clean and sanitise well.

I would say in this order,
Get good sanitation processes and chemicals
Get good yeast. Dry is fine, get it from a retailer that looks after it.
Get temperature control on you fermentation. Fridges and fans.
Get into all grain.
Get into Oxygenation.

That's how I would spend my cash.

wobbly said:
There is a lot about the need to aerate or oxygenate your wort and I'm sure they are right with liquid yeasts and reusing any yeast from a previous batch but if you are using new/fresh packet of dry Dastar Yeast such as Nottingham or BRY-97 or Fermentis Yeast such as US-05, S-04, WB-06 etc them from what I have read as long as you follow the directions and rehydrate them then you don't need to worry about aerating etc.

Now I know this will open a can of worms with those that say you don't need to rehydrate as well as those that say you need to aerate

My experience with my pressure fermenting system rehydrating dry yeast and adding to wort that hasn't been aerated works fine

Wobbly
Not a can of worms but a crock of shit.

Dry yeast, liquid yeast- it is all yeast and it will benefit from a higher dissolved O2.

But hey, ignore good brewing practice, buy a 7 k kit fermenter and do what you want.

If you do some searching, there are some legitimate arguments from dry yeast manufacturers about their product not needing additional aeration in most circumstances.

What if you fill the fermenter with water from one of those water saving taps that cause the water to come out all bubbled? I guess it wouldn't work well in a lot of situations because most laundries or whatever don't have these taps and also in the hotter times the need for a proportion of chilled water to get the wort temp down for pitching is there. But if it was viable to do it I guess it would aerate the wort somewhat :unsure:

Besides stirring I get good aeration/foam by letting the tap water hit the handle of the stirring spoon allow the water to spray down into the fermenter. The spoon is sat on the fermenter handle/grip moulding inside and angled up to rest on the fermenter lip.

Latest posts

Back