Aerating The Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyy

Reaction score
Happy days!!

11 years after I last put a brew down I've bought a new fridge, put the old one in the garage, topped up the equipment, and am ready to start brewing again!!!!

I'm planning to put a lager down this weekend. A question for the wise and worldly out there - does anyone use an aquarium oxygenator to aerate the wort after pitching the yeast? The issue I'm struggling with is the potential to infect the wort by pumping air through it??

Comments & advice invited....

Dave D. :unsure:

Zyy said:
Happy days!!

11 years after I last put a brew down I've bought a new fridge, put the old one in the garage, topped up the equipment, and am ready to start brewing again!!!!

I'm planning to put a lager down this weekend. A question for the wise and worldly out there - does anyone use an aquarium oxygenator to aerate the wort after pitching the yeast? The issue I'm struggling with is the potential to infect the wort by pumping air through it??

[post="83521"][/post]​

Check out thie thread ------ HERE.

:beer:

Tidalpete said:
Zyy said:
Happy days!!

[post="83521"][/post]​

Check out thie thread ------ HERE.

[post="83525"][/post]​

And HERE as well.

Airating wort prior to pitching and just after pitching has been shown to be beneficial to the yeast. Many many brews have been produced with zero or little airation. It is certainly a brewing issue that should be addressed, but is not high priority.

Get your current setup sorted out, then look towards airating your brews. Don't let the issue of airation hold you back. Simpley pouring with lots of splashing from one sanitised fermenter to another will work, just not as effectively as an air pump and stone.

I airate my brews using a ss diffuser from Grain and Grape, and also use one of their inline filters to ensure clean air goes into the wort.

I am in the same camp as PoL here... you can make a good brew without worrying too much about aeration, particularly if you have a pretty good yeast quantity to start with. The 5 or 6g packs that come with a kit are too small, but an 11g saf yeast will do ok without too much efort.
Personally I also have a s/s stone / filter / aquarium pump setup, which I operate on a timer to give a burst of air every hour or so for the first 12 hours in the fermenter. To have one going constantly would be more likely to lead to lead to excess foaming, with no benefit over an intermittent burst.

dreamboat

"Willy Wonka" style (aeration by waterfall) works well to intially aerate the wort.

I prop my boiler (of cooled wort) up about 1.75-2m above the fermenter and open the tap which causes a heap of splashing about and foam when it lands in the fermenter.

edit: just making method more clear

After I chill the wort, I pour it through sieve into the fermenter.Seems to work O.K. But I am looking at getting an airstone.

Back