Advice On Keg Set-up To Purchase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Reaction score
firstly, sorry to post without doing my research first, but my partner has decided he wants to buy me this keg set-up TODAY and I don't have time at work to research it fully.

here's the link to the gear on ebay from "the kegging company" http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...:X:eRTM:AU:1123
I've picked this company because I've read some positive reviews of them on here and I work only a few km's away so it'll be easy to pick up

as I already have a fridge with tempmate and 2 taps fitted I've asked them to put together a package for me without the taps and this is what they quoted:

2 Kegs $119.00
6 m hose $6.00
2 Pairs disconnects $36.00
1 Regulator $85.00
1 SS T piece $7.00
8 hose clamps $12.00

I'm also looking at their 2.6kg CO2 bottle for $169.

so what I'm hoping someone can advise me on
- is this an good/ok deal?
I know it's a pretty standard price for the kegs, but what about the other stuff)
- is that going to be enough hose?

Looks like a good deal assuming the stuff is decent quality. Maybe check the regulator brand and see if other people on here have used it?

That should be more than enough beer line.

the regulator is:
Harris 601 Duel Gauge CO2 Regulator

the 6 m is for 2 keg and the gas line - I thought I might need up to 5m to get the system balanced?

I just bought lot's of stuff from him, he might not be quick on the email response but it seems ok to me (toatal noob of course :) )

the regulator is:
Harris 601 Duel Gauge CO2 Regulator

the 6 m is for 2 keg and the gas line - I thought I might need up to 5m to get the system balanced?
Spot on WW, if this is the line, you have to factor in how far the Reg/Gas is to the T (based on how your kegerator is set up in your place), then 2 times to the Gas in post (allow a meter each or so to give flexibility to connect out of kegerator). Then there is the beer out to tap length, which you want it balanced for the pressure/temp/CO2 level that you want to achieve. I'd suggest give yourself 3m for each here. that way you can alway make it shorter to get that perfect balance. All up, I'd say8m plus gas line from reg to inside kegerator...which is variable depending on your set-up. hth

I've bought of him as well.
4 kegs, gas bottle, disconnects, dual reg, line, and clamps.
All seems to be working fine by me. Haven't had any problems yet.
I'm no expert though, but it seems like a good deal.

He also threw in all line and clamps, and "T" pieces for free

firstly, sorry to post without doing my research first, but my partner has decided he wants to buy me this keg set-up TODAY and I don't have time at work to research it fully.

here's the link to the gear on ebay from "the kegging company" http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...:X:eRTM:AU:1123
I've picked this company because I've read some positive reviews of them on here and I work only a few km's away so it'll be easy to pick up

as I already have a fridge with tempmate and 2 taps fitted I've asked them to put together a package for me without the taps and this is what they quoted:

2 Kegs $119.00
6 m hose $6.00
1 Regulator $85.00
1 SS T piece $7.00
8 hose clamps $12.00

I know it's a pretty standard price for the kegs, but what about the other stuff)

I got my start up kit from him, and have had no problems.

If you think that you'll need more beer/gas line then he'll happily organise that for you on pick-up.

"Balancing" the draught system is, IMHO, a bit over-hyped. Just connect it all up and buy an extra few metres later if you have an issue.

I bought 2 kegs from them, I was under the impression they were recond but they're not. Both of mine had leaky gas in poppets and one had poppet o-rings that were perished/ cracked + 1 leaky releif valve. After about 10 emails and me threatening to send them back they sent me 1 new poppet , 1 relief valve and a few o-rings so I settled for that in the end but customer service was crap. As for the rest of it, I'd pay a few extra bucks and go all JGuest fittings, you'll probably swap over to them later anyway, also maybe get a non-return valve. Cheers :icon_cheers:

I bought some stuff of the Kegging Company over the last 2 years. Very reliable, he even gave me his private mob number once to solve delivery at 10 p.m. when I needed a birthday present for a fellow brewer in a hurry.
Gear is as good as others, but usually cheaper.
c1b

2 Kegs $119.00
6 m hose $6.00
1 Regulator $85.00
1 SS T piece $7.00
8 hose clamps $12.00

Surely your boss would let you research something as important as this? :icon_drunk: Just promise him a few bottles LOL

That said, it sounds like you are onto the right stuff, so probably don't need much more time.

I have heard of a couple of complaints about cheap chinese stuff from this ebayer, but those comments were about taps/fonts. You shouldn't have a problem with the stuff you're ordering.

Anyone have more info about the gas bottle? sounds like a bargain.

My main concern would be the gas bottle.....

Provided you can find a source that will fill/exchange it I'd say go for it.

Nice work moving to kegs!

I would up the beer line length to 8 or 10m. A spare length always comes in handy later on for transferring, etc...

Anyone have more info about the gas bottle? sounds like a bargain.

The one I got from him was the 2.6 kg "Keg king" cylinder. There seem to be quite a few places that will swap them in Melbourne. Nice guy to deal with but can be a bit slow replying to email.

Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh, so jealous!

Let us know when they arrive, I'll help you with Quality Assurance that you got the system balanced ;)

thanks everyone for the replies! I guess I'll just have to let my partner by me this tonight :p
(if it's not too late to organise it now). It's an early birthday present that I want up and running for my party in a few weeks - and obviously there needs to be thorough QC done before then :icon_chickcheers:

Surely your boss would let you research something as important as this? Just promise him a few bottles LOL

hang on a minute - are you the guy who's met my boss and told him I spend lots of time on the forum???
...yeah, thanks for that :angry: ... you may have noticed I haven't been on the forum much in the last couple of months

Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh, so jealous!

Let us know when they arrive, I'll help you with Quality Assurance that you got the system balanced

no problems - if you know what your doing!

One minor thing. What sort of taps do you have? I don't think I saw it mentioned.
If you've got ones with flow control, such as Celis, your line length doesn't matter and you won't need anything like 8m worth...

Apart from that prices look ok etc., as long as those are reconditioned kegs...

Depending on your setup you will most likely want more line (always handy to have anyway) to be able to run a balanced system (yes it is important if you are not buying taps with flow regulators). Be sure to include a non return valve especially using this Harris 601 reg as parts are not available, getting beer in the reg can bugger it.

Screwy

Edit: Beaten by Ben re choice of taps

Back