Adding Yeast At Bottling Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcs

Reaction score
Questions about adding yeast fro bottle conditioning/carbonation.

The brew had a OG of 1.101 and finished up at 1.018 which was in the ballpark of what I expected (using WY1762 and adding simple sugars and belgian candi syrup through primary), however had a problem with a small tear in my BIAB bag and this allowed a small but not insignificant amount of grain into the boil.

So I have to main issues firstly to try and minimize the amount of tannin in the brew (looking to use polyclar) and second looking to add some yeast at bottling as I think the current batch would have been spent (brew has spent a long time at fermenting temps and and a fair while at lagering temps), not sure if it make any difference but I am bottling in 750ml belgian bottles with plastic corks and cages.

I have no idea when to add the polyclar in this situation and how to add the yeast (and how much) for bottling, for the record the fermenting vessel is a cube and I dont have/use a bottling bucket as I normally keg or just bottle straight from the fermenter and use carb drops.

I'd imagine as long as you sit your beers in a relatively warm position to bottle condition - you will be fine with the yeast already present.

Spiesy said:
I'd imagine as long as you sit your beers in a relatively warm position to bottle condition - you will be fine with the yeast already present.
I fear for the viability of them after sitting in primary for about 14 weeks (plus another 5 lagering) , and then if I polyclar and gelatine ... not sure what will be left.

I added a second round of yeast that was top harvested when I did my westy clone. Stepped it in a starter to check cleanliness and then crashed, decanted and used a small sanitised funnel. A small syringe would prob be easier. You can get them from the chemist.

lael said:
I added a second round of yeast that was top harvested when I did my westy clone. Stepped it in a starter to check cleanliness and then crashed, decanted and used a small sanitised funnel. A small syringe would prob be easier. You can get them from the chemist.
How do you decide on a pitching/dosing rate for that then ?

Do you add sugar to the bottle direct or bulk prime with this method ?

I was priming with sugar in each bottle (edit - then wort, then yeast dose). I was reading about dosing rates in BLAM... essentially if you have a decent amount of viable yeast I think it was something like 1billion cells per ml... more than enough to carb a bottle. So I just did the smallest splash I could control in each bottle. I wasn't concerned about too much (high alcohol beer... so too much is prob good) as I wasn't putting that much in, as long as I had enough to dose all the bottles. Like I said, I would get a 3ml syringe and do 1.5ml or roughly half a syringe for each second bottle. Syringes some sterile in the packet... nice and easy. Batch was 28L - with fermenter losses it ended up being just over 50x 500ml swingtops. About 70ml of yeast. I think the decanted yeast remaining was a few hundred ml - actually I'm lying - I didn't pitch all of the first starter and stepped it back up - I haven't used the saved blowoff collection yet - am just stepping up a portion of it now actually (same thing really).

Latest posts

Back