Adding Too Much Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo_h

Reaction score
I've got a struggling brew, it's been in the fermenter 2 weeks and fermentation has died down a few times. It's a 1046 OG kit beer.

It's got SO-4 yeast, so it's had a problem with the cold nights. After 1 week the SG was 1024, so I've had to keep it above 16C, agitate, move the bloody thing heaps of times etc etc. It's been dropping slowly, very slowly.

Just then I checked it, and it looked like it was 1018. I had enough of it and threw in the dried kit can yeast to finish it off.

weeeell, after the bubbles settled it was reading 1016, after checking the hydrometer, it's actually out, so it could of been 1014, which is good enough for SO-4 to be bottled.

What should I do, bottle it anyway before the new yeast gets fired up in the fermenter?

Or just wait and see what this new yeast does and where the beer ends up after the new yeast has multiplied and taken over?

This is after how long you pitched your new yeast? Anyway, I don't think you should bottle it. You may get too much yeast in suspension in your bottled beer. Let it settle for one or two more weeks. I don't think that the newly added yeast will affect your beer.

I racked this beer to secondary already. Not something I normally do, but this fermentation was very slow and lazy. Every time the beer was disturbed, there was a lot for foam and CO2 from the airlock for a very short time. It died out after a few hours though and was never consistant.
The extra kit yeast I added was rehydrated and a lot of airlock activity happened for a few hours after.
This morning I checked the fermenter, no air lock activity, beer was dead flat, all the kit yeast grains were just floating on top, SG hadn't moved despite all the bubbling happening for hours after pitching.
I pulled a smaple of the tap to check SG, the beer as pretty clear. Huge difference in flavour between yesterday and today, tasted more bitter with less flavour, that could have been because it's now super flat.
For better or worse I don't know, beer was clear in the hydrometer testing tube, and I had PET bottles spare, so I just bottled it being it's SO-4 and FG was 1014.
maybe a rash decision, but any beer I've had this much trouble with has never turned out well, so I just took the chance bottling since I had PET bottles. If it's not fermenting well, I doubt it will overferment in the bottles to make them explode. Probably only the flavour and cloudiness will be affected if the beer turns out drinkable at all.

Latest posts

Back