Adding Honey To Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot taste any honey in Beez Neez IMO.

If you boil the honey it drives off all the aroma and most likely some of the taste.

Some say it is a natural antiseptic so needs nothing doing to it other forums recommend pasteurization at 65C for 30 mins.

I am with Finners its probably more trouble that its worth for an expensive sugar.

I also think you would need a strong flavoured honey to make an impact on beer as lots of the flavour is stripped out in the fermentation process.

I have some Macadamia honey here but it is way too expensive to be putting in beer nice in tea and on toast though.

Beez Neez honey taste is after you have taken a swig and breath out through your nose you get that lovely soft honey taste. Its not a flavour that hits you on the way down.

My grandfather is a bee man, he gives us free honey from whatever is flowering in NW NSW. So im keen to try it in a clean wheat beer.

Cheers
Wisey

Um....would you suggest that for all beer?

How's the creamy soda going?

Nah, just honey, in my rather limited experience
Maybe I shoulda said to try someone elses honey effort before you make the investment & effort

Project Creamy Soda is still in the planning stage while I wait for a free fermenter

Project Creamy Soda is still in the planning stage while I wait for a free fermenter

I took this challenge, because I have 3 fermenters full of beer on the go and spare one sitting idle. Plus I had a heap of misc bits and pieces to use up so I went for :

500gms LDME
1kg of Brewiser Liquid Sugar (get off my back it was on special for like $2 in Coles and I couldn't help myself :p )
9L of water
A Coopers Wheat Beer Kit yeast (again, left overs so what the hell)

I had some of that vanilla bean paste that's been in the fridge for ages and some of the same "Black Label Xtra Strong Vanilla Extract" from the same company (here on the web http://www.queenessences.com.au/products/s...hp?categoryid=1)

So I threw them in to the fermenter.

When it finishes fermenting I'll rack to secondary and splurge on some vanilla pods and some more of the pure vanilla extract and let that sit for another week.

The excercise won't be cheap but I figure I'm committed now so bring on the creamy soda.

Very interesting Interloper, good work. Keep us posted with the results.

What was your OG for?

Cheers SJ

Very interesting Interloper, good work. Keep us posted with the results.

What was your OG for?

Cheers SJ

1068 I think...It wasn't as high as I thought it would be.

I'll check my log tonight and post.

Hey everyone,

I hate to make a new thread knowing full well there would already be several hundred on here but the search engine always brings up things that have possibly the words i'm after but would take me ages to sort them out to find what i was looking for.

So my question is, which kit would anyone suggest i could add honey to? I've got a mate in the honey industry and has just given me 8Kg of meadow and leatherwood tubs. And plenty more where that came from. I like a honey taste to beer after paying $3 a bottle at a local cheese farm (ashgrove) which make this honey ale.

So any suggestions to which kit i should do would be excellent.

Thanks.

Well Josh not sure if you are still following or if you have had a go your self by now?... My brew is down - house smells great :icon_cheers: ... brew was great until I added the honey - Australian rainforest honey, was the best I could get - the aroma changed significantly for about two minutes while on the boil... then seemed to fade, though honey was still detectable it was back to normal, the lovely aromas of malt, caramel, and all the niceties of brewing beer. The brew seemed a lot darker than what I was after - though it still looks reasonable - might need some aging - I'll post again once it's filtered/racked and/or kegged.

Keg 1 - Coopers Canadian Blonde w amerillo - all but dry
Keg 2 - ESB new
Keg 3 - CO2

Fermenting - Something resembling an "Irish Red" dipped in Australian honey

Plans - find a utopic larger and sort out my carb and pour pressure issues - never thought I'd be one to complain about getting head.,, and maybe another fermenter to sort out my issue with Keg - 3.

Racked it on the weekend - very dark! I was hoping for something a little lighter - red maybe - but this is black. Took two weeks to ferment out. Can't really taste any honey in it - though whilst I was rinsing my kegs with boiling water for filtering there was a very pungent honey smell that came out of the keg that had just had that brew in it. I've put it under the house for a couple of months - should be a pretty nice drop :D

When the wife and I were in Poland I poped into shop that specialized in spirits and liqueurs where I bought some Honey Vodka. It was delicious, sweet and lethal.
Next day I returned and grabbed some to take home with me.

I said to the old bloke behind the counter 'That stuff's great, do you know how they make it?'

He gave me a deadpan stare and replied:

'They make it vodka, then the put honey in'

Clue maby?

Just say'n..

I have an AG Amarillo Honey on it's 2nd week now from the recipe database.
It reminds me a bit of Dr Smurto's with honey.
The Krausen has gone Nuclear, i expect most of the honey will ferment out.
I may sample a bit today to see what the ferment is tracking like.
I pasturised for only 15 mins hedging my bets on keeping some nose without the bugs....
If it's infected i will wear it.
But i hope it's great

Yup just tasted it, all amarillo no honey... but a faint back taste... and the Krausen is still high

Back