Adding Honey To Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshlangmaid

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hate to make a new thread knowing full well there would already be several hundred on here but the search engine always brings up things that have possibly the words i'm after but would take me ages to sort them out to find what i was looking for.

So my question is, which kit would anyone suggest i could add honey to? I've got a mate in the honey industry and has just given me 8Kg of meadow and leatherwood tubs. And plenty more where that came from. I like a honey taste to beer after paying $3 a bottle at a local cheese farm (ashgrove) which make this honey ale.

So any suggestions to which kit i should do would be excellent.

Thanks.

I'd go a "blonde" or a wheat with 1kg of honey and s-23.

Consider making mead or braggot - plenty of that around here...
You could pasteurize some and add it to a lighter style like a Cerveza or Hefe in small quantities.
I tried golden syrup in a Cerveza but it was pretty rugged, i suspect that the honey would be fine though.

But seriously if i had shiploads of honey coming in i would be making mead...

Thanks guys. I'll see what i can find in the way of those.

Cheers.

If you were going to add honey to a wheat beer would there be any hops people would suggest that could go well with or improve the quality of the honey wheat beer?

Hey Josh,

I was looking through some old posts and found thins one from about 2007 I think. Might want to give it a try. The full post is in the topic "Honey Wheat Kit"

INGREDIENTS: Tin: Morgans golden sheaf wheat beer x 1 (1.7kg)

Sugars: 350g dextrose,250g LDM,500g muttons dried wheat malt.

Hops: Saaz and Green Bullet
Hop schedule: 10g Saaz @15 mins
5g Saaz @5 mins
5g Saaz @flameout or 1 min
5g Green Bullet @ flameout or 1 min

Additional Ingredients: 2 teaspoons coriander, 40 g orange peel.
Additional Ingredients Schedule: 1 tsp coriander @15 mins
20 g orange peel @15 mins
1 tsp coriander @5 mins
20 g orange peel @5 mins

Yeast: Safale yeast 11.5g (18/c)

If your after a honey wheatbeer don't bother with using the Blackrock Whispering Wheat kit as a base as it comes out more like a honey blonde (unless you want a honey blonde of course).
I did one can with supplied yeast, 500g dry wheat malt and 1.2kg honey (comes out at ~6.1%, I named it Bee Sting).
You'll enjoy if you make it expecting a honey blonde compared to expecting a honey wheat.

You may know this already.
You wont be able to make a honey beer like the ones you can buy if you are bottle conditioning your beer.
To get a sweet honey taste, you have to first kill the yeast then add honey and carbonation. If you just add honey to your wort, you will end up with a beer with the woody/flowery character of the honey not the sweetness as the sugars will have fermented out.
Not to say that thats a bad thing. But if your expecting a sweet honey beer, you'll probably be disappointed.

I made a Coopers Real Ale with 500g honey and 200g dextrose. Tried it a week ago and it is great. Not one person who has tried it has not loved it.

Hi Josh!

This is a copy and paste from the coopers web site

Strawberry Blonde - 23 Litres
Honey has been an ingredient of many great beers through history. Honey is highly fermentable and contributes subtly to the flavour of the brew. We suggest Strawberry Clover Honey for this recipe but any light flavoured honey may be used.

Ingredients

1.7kg can Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1
325 grams Strawberry Clover Honey
Method

Dissolve Coopers Canadian Blonde, Brew Enhancer 1 and Honey in 3 litres of hot water.
Fill fermenter with cool water to the 23 litre mark and stir.
Sprinkle supplied yeast over the wort surface.
Ferment temperature should be in the range 21C-27C.
Bottle when specific gravity has reached 1.010 (or two readings the same over 24 hours).

Paul from coopers recomends........."If you want more honey flavour - increase the honey and halve the Brew Enhancer 1"

Hey Josh,

I think I understand what you are chasing... had a really nice beer at "The Belvedere" North of Brisbane on the weekend. It was called "Sunshine Coast Summer Ale" - dark red in colour with an amazing honey aroma and taste - would be a great one to replicate.

Interesting comment in this thread re adding the honey at carbonation. I use kegs, but think you'd have to add the honey warm to give it any chance of mixing with the beer (to avoid it just settling at the bottom of the keg - waiting to shoot into your dip tube as pure honey!).

I've been thinking of trying one myself - would love to hear about anymore comments, recipes or things to avoid...

while we are talking about honey as an addition i have in my new keg setup a wander draught which i mixed in with one of those 1kg coopers no 1 boxes and 400g of redgum honey- not too shabby only been in the keg for around a week and its already half gone, a little too sweet and malty for my tastes though. So this afternnoon i substituted coopers real ale for that previous combination and this time am only fermenting 21 litres instead of 23 (couldn't see the point of bottling three long necks) but to my surprise the SG is 1068 this time - with the Wander kit and another 2 litres of h20 the SG was only 1046- does anyone know why this would be so where has the extra punch come from? pretty sure i havent read it wrong... seems like it will be a potent brew..

Is it okay to use regular supermarket honey?

Has anyone got prefferences of honey they've used before in an extract brew?

I'm thinking of using honey with some weat malt, and a coopers canadian blonde kit.

When I finish my current, brewing ESB Bald Hills Bitter (which somehow turns out to be very close to a Toohey's New)... I have plans to put down an "Irish Red", I'm going with Munton's Yorkshire Bitter with 1/2kg Dark Dry Malt (not sure what the TLA is for that one <_< ), about 750g of dex to get her going. Been fiddling with hops, so I'll also run 12g of goldings for 40mins and 12g of Fuggels to finnish over 5 and 10mins. Now I've been wanting to try the honey thing and have been asking around... From my chats so far I'm being urged to use a HIGH grade honey ("you won't even taste the cheap stuff - might smell flowers though") or something based on ironbark flowers, which you can still get at most supermarkets. Heaps of different ideas about the timing of when to add the honey - I'm going to boil it for a min 20 mins.

Plan to run the malt, honey and say 2L or 4L of water for the boil, do the hop thing and tie it all together in the fermenter. OH - using Safale S-04. I'm in Brisbane so it should maintain a temp around the lower range 15-18C.

No idea about the OG or FG - haven't used a hydro, so far so good.

Probably the most complex thing I've done so far in my short brewing tenure... I'll run it through a 1 micron filter straight out of the fermenter to a keg (as per norm for me) - so I'll post my findings after a few weeks... Hope to taste some honey :icon_cheers:

I think im going to try a health food stall to get organic honey.

Do yourself a favour

Skip the honey

It'll only end in tears

^ explain? How else can you get a beer to taste honey-ish?

Cannot taste any honey in Beez Neez IMO.

If you boil the honey it drives off all the aroma and most likely some of the taste.

Some say it is a natural antiseptic so needs nothing doing to it other forums recommend pasteurization at 65C for 30 mins.

I am with Finners its probably more trouble that its worth for an expensive sugar.

I also think you would need a strong flavoured honey to make an impact on beer as lots of the flavour is stripped out in the fermentation process.

I have some Macadamia honey here but it is way too expensive to be putting in beer nice in tea and on toast though.

Back