Adding Fresh/Dried Hops to Brew Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifis101

Reaction score
I know the all-grain brewers will hate me for this but I'm still happy with making beer from kits for now. I commonly experiment with my beers with all sorts of additives. I add hop pellets often to IPAs ect to give them a little extra kick but I have recently aquired some fresh hops and I was wondering how much I should be adding in comparison to the pellets?
Should I dry out the fresh hops before I use them or is it best to use them fresh?

I know the all-grain brewers will hate me for this

That's overstating matters a bit, but if you are concerned:

1648431890980.png

Regarding your questiion, the short answer is use them fresh at any stage, but don't keep them longer than a couple of days without using or else drying.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/03/22/using-fresh-wet-hops-in-home-brewed-beer/

I brewed a pils yesterday using fresh saaz hops from a friends garden, i used the same weight that i would have used for pellets and found that it lacked the bite i expected so made a tea and added it to the FV.
I made need to dry hop once its nearly done.

I've been using either the Cooper's lager kit or the blackrock pale ale kit. I was adding a combo of Citra/Centennial/Simcoe on day 5 @ 65 grams each dryhopped for 3 days - packed a real punch after a month in the bottle. I have gone single hop lately either Nectaron or NZ-H107, 100 grams both have a strong tropical pallette, nectarine or guava. I use this hop comparison chart to see where the flavours profiles may go when combining different hops, have found very helpful.

Hop Comparison Tool & Chart - Beer Maverick

Latest posts

Back