Adding extra steeped grain to Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a recipe that I am making that I like
Coopers Dark Ale
BE2
250 Gram Brown Sugar
Danstar BRY-97 Ale Yeast

I have made 3 - the last one was delicious ... I think the yeast is a good one

But I bought a selection of "grain shots" the other day...

I want to see how this goes.... what a difference it makes..maybe the start of BIAB or all grain...

I have Carapilis, Pilsner, Munich and Crystal...

Can anyone recommend which grain - I think Munich or crystal .... I am keen to see what I difference this makes..

BTW What section would this come under brewing... ?

Thanks

. is 200 g of grain (Carapilis, Pilsner, Munich and Crystal..) - steep for 45 min in one litre of boiled water for 45min, sparge with grain in strainer with 2l of cool water.... 3l adds to part of the liquid volume to wort.

thanks

Anyone added small grain to their kits? Seen a few shops selling it... cheers

Trustyrusty said:
. is 200 g of grain (Carapilis, Pilsner, Munich and Crystal..) - steep for 45 min in one litre of boiled water for 45min, sparge with grain in strainer with 2l of cool water.... 3l adds to part of the liquid volume to wort.

thanks
You'll need to crack those grains before you steep them (just sayin').

The Carapils will add dextrins which increase the mouth feel and help create a nice foamy and longer lasting head when the beer is poured. Crystal (I suspect you have Light Crystal) will do similar but add a little sweetness as well.
As a mostly ale brewer I'll leave others to comment on the Pilsner and Munich, but I guess they'd do best in lagers.

Good luck.

*Crack the grain (grain in plastic bag, use a rolling pin or hammer if it hasn't been cracked by the home brew shop already).
*get all your 3 litres up to somewhere between 60-70c.
*chuck your grain in (wrap it in a cloth like voile or a grain bag from the brew shop or drop it using a sieve or whatever), let it set for 30-60 mins.
*seperate the grain from the liquid (wort) by straining it to another pot or whatever (this is why wrapping the grain in voile or a grain bag or whatever is good cos you can just pull it out).
*bring the 3L (it'll be more like 2.8 or something now) to a boil to kill off anything in it, then put the pot in the sink with some cool water to cool it down a bit, pour it in your fermenter, top with water as normal (and any other sugars/malts etc that you want in there).
*You've just done a partial mash.

As Lecterfan said, the Pilsner and Munich will need to be mashed at around 65 degrees because they are "unconverted" and you need to use their enzymes to convert themselves. This happens at those mashing temperatures.

The Carapils and Crystal have already been converted during manufacture, as the name suggests they are Crystal Malts and have already been "mashed in the husk" and no longer contain any enzymes, so only need steeping, by putting them in with the first two malts of course.

Thanks guys - Grains already cracked...

I did hear carapils does give help with a foamy head... :)

thanks

For a dark ale I'd go the crystal and the carapils. I always put carapils in a stout for the head and also you do get a bit of a light grainy flavour that smooths things out.
No need to mash those, just steep, drain and briefly boil as grains have all sorts of microorgs on them.

Hey Also trying the coopers dark ale, Planning on following most of your recipe but with what i got:

Coopers Dark Ale
BE2
250g Brown Sugar
US-05 yeast
Brew Master Heading Compound
200g Crystal

Does this sound like its on the right track? also is it worth adding any hops. (I've never done a dark ale and am yet to gain a preference)

If you have a Stainless Steel Vacuum Flask it could be used to keep the grain at correct temperature do not use boiling water.

Hi

I am

Coopers Dark Ale
BE2
250 Gram Brown Sugar
Danstar BRY-97 Ale Yeast
200G Steep grain
I might chuck in 12 G Galaxy with the grain to steep as well..

@truebrew I have not used us-05 with this, I think us-05 might be better with pale ale / lighter styles,? but no 100% sure..

Try and get the BRY - 97, I think it is a great yeast... I think it actually helps the head...always seems have a good foamy head..
cheers

Cool thanks Rusty, tell us how that brew turns out real keen to give this one a go.

Cheers
-Josh

Latest posts

Back