Acronym Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silo Ted

Suspended in an Aspic Consomm
Reaction score
Just received a book today (Brown Ale by Daniels & Parker, thanks Bookdepository :)) and one of the units of measurement is BBL. As a general interest query, Anyone know what this is ?

Quick calculations would estimate the volume of 1 BBL to be six times that of a five gallon batch, or approx 113 litres in metric scale.

Just received a book today (Brown Ale by Daniels & Parker, thanks Bookdepository :)) and one of the units of measurement is BBL. As a general interest query, Anyone know what this is ?

Quick calculations would estimate the volume of 1 BBL to be six times that of a five gallon batch, or approx 113 litres in metric scale.

1 Barrel

Well there ya go. Cheers gents.

Argon, that link answered another question I had a while ago but forgot. Have an ancient recipe that measures ingredients in hogshead units. Now I know what size that is too, for scaling down purposes. :icon_cheers:

Oh I see it is all abundantly clear. There are four firkins in a barrell but six firkins to a hogshead. Feckin firkins! But that is English. 36 ale gallons or 166.36 litres.

You sometimes see the yanks advertising 2 BBL and 4 BBL systems.

it stands for "be back later" :lol:

Latest posts

Back