Acetobacter - Have I Killed My Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antains

Reaction score
I did a lazy thing. :huh:

I racked off a lager a couple of weeks ago and neglected the fermenter, which still had a centimetre of the trub remaining.

In the past week, I had noticed a rising aroma in my cellar. It started off just as a beer smell and then became more chemically, like a nail polish.

I stuck my nose in the fermenter and saw and smelt what has been described on this White Powdery Infection thread

I've now filled the fermenter with water diluted with a cup of bleach to let it soak, in the hopes that I can continue using the fermenter.

But what's the likelihood? Will the Acetobacter and/or its funky smell remain?

Cheers,
Ant.

I did a lazy thing. :huh:

I racked off a lager a couple of weeks ago and neglected the fermenter, which still had a centimetre of the trub remaining.

In the past week, I had noticed a rising aroma in my cellar. It started off just as a beer smell and then became more chemically, like a nail polish.

I stuck my nose in the fermenter and saw and smelt what has been described on this White Powdery Infection thread

I've now filled the fermenter with water diluted with a cup of bleach to let it soak, in the hopes that I can continue using the fermenter.

But what's the likelihood? Will the Acetobacter and/or its funky smell remain?

Cheers,
Ant.

My experience, a good soak with napisan and then a good sterilise sorts it.

My experience, a good soak with napisan and then a good sterilise sorts it.

Cheers RK.

I might go a bit retentive on it and give it several cleans with different products. Good to know it's not a lost fermenter.

Ant.

Latest posts

Back