Aaba 2004 Entries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Qualified for the Nationals ?
You can get all the details for the AABA Nationals from this page here

Thanks to Peter Wadey for getting a clarification on the entry fee (it is $3). $4 is quoted on the registration form

Remember entries are due in Canberra by 5pm on Wednesday, 3 November, 2004.

Beers,
Doc

Hi all
Going to Canberra next Saturday for a drive in the new company car. Will be dropping off my winning (gee did I say that) entries. If any one wants their beers deliverd let me know and you can drop down to Bulli and try my new Rye imperial pale ale on tap.
Cheers
Ray

Good Day Ray
I'm still thinking about what to do with the rye malt you gave me. Any ideas about ales to brew with rye and WLP001 which is the yeast in the fermenters at present?
Congratulations on the job and the car. I hope you will still have time time for brewing, the IBU's and the fairs (don't let work get in the way of your hobby).
Thanks for the offer. I'm OK, a nice man sent my entries down to Canberra on a pallet.
All the best, Barry.

Hi Barry
Here is the current Rye beer I now have on tap. It has a kick to it but very, very nice. It has an IBU of 76 but it is not overpowering, just a great beer. WLP 001 will work fine.

Imperial Rye IPA # 1 2004

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

07-1 India Pale Ale, Imperial IPA

Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.090
Min IBU: 60 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 8 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 19.00 Wort Size (L): 19.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.47
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.67
Anticipated SRM: 14.1
Anticipated IBU: 76.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.9 5.00 kg. B & B Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
18.7 1.40 kg. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.6 0.57 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 63
3.3 0.25 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.3 0.25 kg. Hoepfner Wheat Malt Dark Germany 1.039 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.00 g. Progress Pellet 5.70 59.9 90 min.
30.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 3.00 10.6 First WH
20.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 3.00 5.7 30 min.
20.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 3.00 0.3 1 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Barry,

Rye can liven up any beer!

Ales, use flaked/puffed rye rather than rye malt

Lagers, guess rheinheidsgebot means use rye malt, though flaked rye gives more flavor.

Rye is EASILY overdone

Jovial Monk

Doc said:
Qualified for the Nationals ?
You can get all the details for the AABA Nationals from this page here

Thanks to Peter Wadey for getting a clarification on the entry fee (it is $3). $4 is quoted on the registration form

Remember entries are due in Canberra by 5pm on Wednesday, 3 November, 2004.

Beers,
Doc
Mailed my 3 entries off yesterday. Fingers crossed!

- Snow.

Well I got a call from the post office yesterday. They had a box of mine addressed to the AABA National Championships which didn't get sent because it was wet...and rattled :( . The entries were fully bubble wrapped, packed with newspaper and divided by cardboard wine dividers. I don't know how I could have packed them more securely. I guess some wanker at the post office took one look at the "fragile" notice and threw it into the corner as hard as he could :angry:

I just hope it wasn't my bavarian hefeweizen, because that was my last bottle....

- Snow

Geez they are bastards like that. Sorry to hear that Snow.

The number of times I've sent stuff with fragile stickers on only to see them get tossed in a big bag straight away before I even leave the counter (you can almost hear their brain tick over "Lets see how fragile it is"). And I'm thinking if it survived that it should make the trip.

I posted my entry on Tuesday (only one entry as I didn't have any Belgian Trippel left ) and I posted it in a post tube. The tube had fragile stickers on from a previous posting experience and they guy behind the counter said what is in it for it to be fragile. I said nothing the stickers are from a previous post.
I then didn't have to fill out any crap AND he gently placed it in the post bag.
GO Figure.

Beers,
Doc

geez Snow that sucks, hope you can save the day and still enter.

I have given up on entering comps with glass bottles, too much risk and the postage is high. I now use the Brown PET bottles for comps and feel alot more confident they will get there in one piece.

Andrew

Snow said:
Well I got a call from the post office yesterday. They had a box of mine addressed to the AABA National Championships which didn't get sent because it was wet...and rattled :( . The entries were fully bubble wrapped, packed with newspaper and divided by cardboard wine dividers. I don't know how I could have packed them more securely. I guess some wanker at the post office took one look at the "fragile" notice and threw it into the corner as hard as he could :angry:

I just hope it wasn't my bavarian hefeweizen, because that was my last bottle....

- Snow
I've still got a bottle of that APA (somewhere... now i think about it i don't recall seeing it after moving...)

That sucks Snow.

Took a parcel to the Post Office a while ago with "Fragile" written all over it, and the postal clerk says, "We don't do fragile any more."

:ph34r:

that sucks snow,

i tried to send mine today, but i got the big fat 'you can't send beer in the mail', so what about those wine packs etc. like nobody sent bloody sparkling white via air mail. :angry:

so one quick trip and one air bag later, beer will hopefully arrive all safe and sound. i never knew you could fit that much bubble wrap in an air bag :D

I've never had a problem sending beer within Oz.

Sending beer to NZ is a bit more difficult since you now have to fill out a form stating what it contains and what is is worth etc. including your full details (and they sight some ID).
For international parcels I only send PET bottles and on the label I put Product Samples. Haven't had a problem yet :p

Doc

sorry to hear the news snow.
if i enter any comps and pet bottles are allowable i will only post pet bottles.weight saving plus a bit more durable.

cheers
big d

Bad luck Snow. I'm sure the person that did that will have bad beer karma for a long time to come.
Having worked for Oz post in the early-mid 80's I know only too well how some things are treated.
My experience with couriers is bad as well.

Snow,
Sorry to hear your bad news.

All
I entrusted mine to one of those fancy red wine capsules they flog at the PO.
The bottle goes in VERY snuggly. Hope it works.

Hints:
Be careful to get ALL the lugs in as you go. Reversal is damn near impossible.

As there is the possibility of the bottle sliding up or down within the capsule and the lid getting caught and buggering the seal, I put a bit of dunny roll shaft up the neck over the lid to protect it.

On the 'gentle touch' of some Posties:
No hope in our area. The local parcel contractor got caught out and a little embarrassed for throwing a box about 20 feet from down the drive up on the front porch. Little did he knwo it contained a bunch of ring spanners. Made a hell of a racket. Fragile stuff.....not a hope in hell.

Doc,
Thanks. Did that not so much to skimp out of the extra dollar, but to raise a flag and get the details updated before they got more enquires that would take time to respond too. Hence me emailing all the NSW Comp entrants I had addresses for. I think they could charge twice the price and not have any complaints.

Regards,
Peter

Just a quick note wishing all entrants in the 2004 AABC the best of luck tomorrow ;)

I'll be stewarding tomorrow, so it should be a great day - and I'm looking forward to having a sip of your hard work (after the judges have had a glass, of course :p )

Cheers and good beers! :chug:
TL

are you open to bribes :D

if so how much :p

i just hope mine made it without exploding etc etc,

and good luck to everyone and good beer to all :)

Forgot to send my entry in :angry: Guess I'll have to drink it instead...

Back