a question for all the dads out there

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickymac

Reaction score
so im the new owner of a 5 day old little girl, and have a question about sterilising baby bottles, as we dont want to go down the chemical/bleach/microwave sterilising options; how long do i boil items in water to be sterilised..ie baby bottles and stuff
cheers

Congats, but remeber daughters are punishment for being male. I have two teenage daughters, now where did I put that shotgun?

A couple of minutes in a rolling boil will be plenty, it will trash the plastic bottles pretty quick but whichever method you choose will attack the plastics. Or the same but in the steam, a false bottom in the pan with water, bottles in upside down just above the top of the water and a lid on should work. This is what Qld health recommend, http://www.health.qld.gov.au/ph/documents/hpu/sterilising.pdf

You could safely apply any of the sanitation techniques you use for brewing to achieve the desired result. Sodium percarbonate would be very effective as would peroxide without the chlorine I assume you are trying to avoid.

Don't stress too much a few germs are good for us all, one of my kids even ate a dog turd but he was a bit older.

Peroxide is aswome for sterilising.

And baby formula tins make excellent grain storage tins. Each one hold just over 1kg of grain.

Infact they are perfect for measuring grains out. when filled to the topmost ridge of the tin it holds 1kg exactly, so makes it easy to scoop out and measure.

hehehe, thanks glenos...yup im looking into shotguns right now
we have glass bottles instead of plastic for that very reason
thanks for the link
:)

glenos said:
Don't stress too much a few germs are good for us all, one of my kids even ate a dog turd but he was a bit older.
Germs are good. Helps build up the immune system

You can get steam sterilizers like this one Sterilizer for $120 not too much to pay for your first borns health. There are cheaper ones available.

When my boy was first born I was boiling everything but when one of the midwives came for a visit she said as long as you clean bottles straight away there is no need and 15 months on he is still kicking.

Mickcr250 said:
When my boy was first born I was boiling everything but when one of the midwives came for a visit she said as long as you clean bottles straight away there is no need and 15 months on he is still kicking.
Yup. Bringing up kids has a lot of similarities to brewing. Do you need to be careful, yes. Do you need lab conditions, no. Just remember, the literature and advice you receive is expected to reach professionals, people with common sense as well as complete f**king idiots. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Congrats on the baby Trickymac. I've got two girls and the first thing my dad said to me was: "With a boy you've got one cock to worry about, with a girl you have thousands." Best of luck mate!
10-12 min boil on the stove worked for the bottles. I predict a 10-12 gauge will suffice for the future boyfriends too.

congrates mate
AndrewQLD said:
−You can get steam sterilizers like this one Sterilizer for $120 not too much to pay for your first borns health. There are cheaper ones available.
these also work well on test tubes for yeast storage. but you didnt hear that from me.

we used starsan on my daughters bottles for ages. only a slight darkening of the plastic.

Quick boil will suffice ...as the others say once your bubby is a bit further along a little bit of this and that is good for the immune system.... Unlike your beer which hates this and that.

4KingAle said:
Quick boil will suffice ...as the others say once your bubby is a bit further along a little bit of this and that is good for the immune system.... Unlike your beer which hates this and that.
And have you got any idea how much bacteria we have on our skin, there is no way you will convince me a breast fed baby is drinking from a sterile surface, the conatiner might be but the delivery mechanism isn't.

Well, I didn't spray starsan on SWMBOs boobs before a feed so I never really understood the need to sterilise everything myself. Cleaned everything with hot water and that's it. The rest is building immunity??

Got 2 myself (congrats BTW).. mine are a long way beyond the bottle stage but yeah... don't be too anal about it.

When your kid drops his bottle and the nipple touches the ground you clean it by -

first kids - nuking it with chemicals and boiling the crap out of it
Second kid - washing it off under the tap
Third and subsequent - wiping it on the leg of your pants.

Cheers
Dave

glenos said:
And have you got any idea how much bacteria we have on our skin, there is no way you will convince me a breast fed baby is drinking from a sterile surface, the conatiner might be but the delivery mechanism isn't.
mmm....for a minute there I thought you where trying to say not to breastfeed because the surface aint sterile......

Babies are a lot more robust than you think. As long its not poisonous or dangerous a baby is most likely going to survive.
I was more anal about my brew gear than my kids......and considering they grew up on a farm and stuck all sorts of stuff in their mouths when they where crawling around outside on the grass and dirt....they have grwon up to be very healthy.

RDWHAHB :)

Kids are a lot tougher than you first think. Not saying to not be clean, but the world these days is just about selling, selling you cleaning products that you don't need.

Have fun!

Best feeling in the world becoming a dad... Congrats mate. I use a microwave steam cleaner. My son is very healthy and happy and has only been sick once in 14 months. And that was his cousins fault.
Best advice i can give about becoming a father is listen to everyone's advice but do what you think is right. Enjoy fatherhood.

Sorry to rain on parade and not wishing to offend but

tit

Did my two boys

steam steriliser are great and much easier to use than waiting for water to boil.

have a look for 2nd hand ones on ebay, i got one for 20 bucks.

if you were in brisbane you could have my old one.
also handy for brewing bits like taps, valves, containers etc.

Back