a question for all the dads out there

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have glass you could probably also do them in the oven but would be slower than the other options. Kids are great, congratulations!

glenos said:
And have you got any idea how much bacteria we have on our skin, there is no way you will convince me a breast fed baby is drinking from a sterile surface, the conatiner might be but the delivery mechanism isn't.

I do agree but did you know breast milk actually has anti bacterial properties? Just an interesting fact I still don't see the need for sterilised bottles but if it makes you feel better than why not.

Two kids, luckily both raised off the tit.
I'm sure you're a good husband more than happy to do his share of the feeding. So with that in mind..
Mate, unless some medical issue precludes it, lobby hard for breast feeding. I'm not going to lie, when it came to broken sleep vs preparing bottles, feeding, changing, burping and putting back to bed punching at least a two hour hole in your sleep, better her than me.

Mr Wibble said:
Hey, us too!
We still rip him off about it 10 years later ;)
This reminds me of a couple of other gag oments. My eldest daughter found an old dog bone at the park one day and had a chew, she was probably only 1 yo at the time, and the time we found her with half a cockroach in her mouth.

I am definitely not an advocate of trying to establish a sterile area for anyone, except maybe the severly immuno-compromised. I rarely get sick and I put this down to having 4 kids, who had irregular visits to childcare, each time they went a new bug would come home, we would all suffer for a week and then we'd be fine until the next child care visit. Now 10 years later I have 1 sick day a year.

I was raised on the tit but it got to embarrassing for my mother when we would go to the pictures and I would shout out, I want some titty.

Yeah. Can be a little awkward at times.

http://youtu.be/FmD2Y6WxpIw

malt & barley blues said:
it got to embarrassing for my mother when we would go to the pictures and I would shout out, I want some titty.
Now your missus feels the same.

Go the steam steriliser. You'll get lots of use out it over a couple of kids.

me ma and da raised four of us in the kimberley and northern territory, and we survived it, remembering my first baby, girl, mum came up for visit stayed about four hours, her advise to me, "mik don't worry about a thing, kids are tough, you can't kill them with an axe, and god knows i tried on all of you kids!" me granny said "you have to eat a ton of dirt before you die, so don't spare the gravel in the diet. i have raised three kids as the primary carer and they're all doing fine. hot water and a mild natural soap. don't stress the little stuff.

When my nipper was small I wasn't even allowed to say hello to my daughter and wife when I came in from work. Apparently it might have put daughter off her food.
And that's part reason why I live in Aus, and they live in England.
Miss my daughter like I'd miss an arm.
Enjoy them while you can.

What kind of brewer are you man? Clearly you need an autoclave for those bottles. And sterilising yeast propagation equipment.

Congratulations. Best and hardest thing ever. Remember to sleep when the bub sleeps. Best advice we got from anyone. Not sleepy? You will be if you don't sleep at bub o'clock.

My wife did boobies all the way so I can't help with the sterilising question.

Don't think we were ever that anal about it. Just whack em in the dishwasher or hand wash them and give then a rinse after. Germs are good for you. Once they start crawling they stick their hands in their mouths after they have been on the floor where your shoes have been which have been out side, and potentially at some point in dog shit and alike.

My wife breast fed all our kids and we needed a bottle steraliser so milk could be stored. With premature twins in the humidicribs and us at home, it was pumped and bottled and taken to the hospital. Having sterile stuff is critical in this case, you don't want the bacteria to have a chance at multiplying by the time it makes it into your kid.
For all our sterilisation we used a microwave unit with 100ml water for 2 mins by memory. Worked a treat.

Vaguely funny but relevant story...
My wife had her first night out and I was looking after the little ones. She was drinking so I thawed out some of the frozen milk in the fridge. Later that night, my little girl was acting up so I thought I'd try her with a bottle (for the first time). Put it in her mouth, and she went bezerk. Tried again, no change. "Damn, she won't take the bottle" I thought. I tried a bit of it to make sure it was warm enough and what I tasted was pretty much vomit. Crap it was terrible. Evidently you can go nuts with sterile environments and storage techniques, but some things won't keep.
I'm thinking lacto.

Mardoo said:
You had a feed too? Sweet, eh?
Ok. Lets not drag a nice thread it into the gutter.

Or at least not until the OP clicks 'solved'.

Mostly been said, but clean em in the sink with detergent, and rinse with hot water. Anything that's left there will just help build the immune system.

So does the cat poop when they find that too.

Congrats!

Ducatiboy stu said:
Germs are good. Helps build up the immune system
That was my thought. Sterilize? Hell my kids are lucky if I washed it.

Congrats on the new one TrickyMac!

Back