A Mans Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotland is an island now?

I can't speak for him but I'm thinking Denis is talking about Great Britain as the island.

I suspect some of those Scottish wowsers probably underestimate or aren't even remotely aware of the actual cost of these things (ten quid according to the article, for a stubbie). That might put a lid on much of the binge drinking aspect. So, who's going to tell them? Or is it just slanted journalism perhaps (gosh, shock horror... not the beeb as well now!).

Mind you, Mr Watt of the brewery concerned just might want to ease up on that crusade of tackling binge drinking by producing strong boutique beer, its a teensy bit of a stretch for mine.

What annoys me is that there is an underlying belief coming through in that article, and elsewhere, that it is bad for a beer to be that strong, because beer = bad drinking habits.
But a bottle of virtually any other alchohol at that strength, that wouldn't even rate a mention...

I agree that the brewery is drawing a real stretch to think it will cure binge drinking but I also don't think that your average drinker is going to fork out 10 quid for a stubbie of beer no matter what the strength...

I'm with you bconnery.
I love the way 18% beer is a problem coming from a country world renound for 40-50% abv scotch.. that doesnt seem to be a problem.
Alcohol doesnt get people drunk, people get people drunk.
:D

What annoys me is that there is an underlying belief coming through in that article, and elsewhere, that it is bad for a beer to be that strong, because beer = bad drinking habits.

What annoys me is the belief in the article that someone else has a higher claim on my life and body than I do (or would, if I were in Scotland). I agree about the illogic of the beer strength though - you dont need to go too far to see bogans getting pissed on mid-strength 'gold'.

I think prohibition in the USA, and earlier in this country, has shown us that if people want to get loaded, they will.
Making the alcohol higher or lower or illegal, does not help.

I think prohibition in the USA, and earlier in this country, has shown us that if people want to get loaded, they will.
Making the alcohol higher or lower or illegal, does not help.

It certainly would help...help organised crims make gazillions selling it bootleg.

Brew dog make some great beer and do a good line on publicity too. There's only one thing worse than being talked about.......

Lager louts got started in the 1970s and they mostly drank appalling mid strength stuff like Harp Lager, Carling Black Label etc that would have made XXXX Gold seem like nectar from the Gods. Didn't stop them getting pissed up and beating up a few Pakkies and Queers etc.

EDIT: hey I suddenly realised that I've drunk a Brewdog, when I won the BABBs Pale Ale mini comp in Feb my prize was a six pack of Their Punk IPA, with the blue label, bloody delicious but only 6 percent. Woosy little drink :rolleyes:
Sorry about that Pakkie in Fortitude Valley.

I think some people are misunderstanding what the wowsers are calling "binge-drinking" these days. They aren't worried that someone is gonna grab a box of these and down it and go out and punch on. One bottle of this exceeds what is considered the beginning of "binge-drinking" these days. Yes, one bottle of spirits is higher in alcohol but no one is about to argue that every time you open a bottle you're going to drink it til it is gone. That argument is terribly easier to make with a beer.

I think they're talking a load of crap but it is important to be arguing against their actual point.

I think some people are misunderstanding what the wowsers are calling "binge-drinking" these days. They aren't worried that someone is gonna grab a box of these and down it and go out and punch on. One bottle of this exceeds what is considered the beginning of "binge-drinking" these days. Yes, one bottle of spirits is higher in alcohol but no one is about to argue that every time you open a bottle you're going to drink it til it is gone. That argument is terribly easier to make with a beer.

I think they're talking a load of crap but it is important to be arguing against their actual point.

Indeed. Last year when the recommended daily max. was reduced from 6(?) standard drinks to two, it effectively made anything over two standards 'binge drinking'.

Of course, they were very careful to stress that these were 'guidlines not rules'. Unfortunately, that is rapidly forgotten by most, deliberately forgotten by some, and ignorantly inflicted on us by lawmakers who are all to ready to bow to a noisy but organised rabble.

Indeed. Last year when the recommended daily max. was reduced from 6(?) standard drinks to two, it effectively made anything over two standards 'binge drinking'.

Of course, they were very careful to stress that these were 'guidlines not rules'. Unfortunately, that is rapidly forgotten by most, deliberately forgotten by some, and ignorantly inflicted on us by lawmakers who are all to ready to bow to a noisy but organised rabble.

Sorry guys. That's probably a bit strongly worded. I must have got out of the wrong side of bed.

Never mind the man's beer, what about the girl's beer:

Linky

A binge drinker aged just 14 has been given an Asbo banning her from drinking alcohol in public. ... Magistrates in Leeds gave her a two-year Asbo which bans her from possessing or drinking alcohol in public, purchasing or attempting to purchase alcohol or asking others to purchase alcohol on her behalf.

How can these guys get things so arse backwards?

Wow that would sure cure our binge drinking problems and scuttle K Rudds alcopop tax.

Bum
To the best of my knowledge Scotland and England are still joined together as the St. Andrews cross is still on the union jack although many Scotsmen wouldn't be to worried if it wasn't.

:)

We've got the whole frigging Union Jack on our flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdh

Never mind the man's beer, what about the girl's beer:

Linky

Hahahaha, am I missing something? They're banning her from doing something thats's not legal for her to do anyway. I'll admit I don't know the legal drinking age over there but I doubt it's 14

"Carling does wonders for your figure"

I s'pose that's not going to be the marketing angle on this one.

God damn she's bloody chunky !

Back