A Mans Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe she should switch to one of our great new low carb beers, they have more flavour you know

Scotland is an island now?

As Dennis says he's from 'pomland' I reckon its a fair bet he's taking whole UK approach.

Others, particularly in my family, take a pre-1707 point of view. Get a few beers in them and they're looking for the blue face paint. ;)

Can I just say this new Brewdog Tokyo sounds absolutely amazing and I will be first in line to try it when it makes it's way downunder. Thank you BBC for bringing it to my attention!

The brewing company's latest product uses jasmine, cranberries, malts and American hops, and is then fermented with a champagne yeast to make the high alcohol content.

If they only make 3000 bottles I doubt we'll see any of it, none the less I'd love to have a crack at one.

I still have a bottle of the last (less intense) batch of Tokyo. Hopefully the Aussie importer can work some magic and get some down here.

As Dennis says he's from 'pomland' I reckon its a fair bet he's taking whole UK approach.

Others, particularly in my family, take a pre-1707 point of view. Get a few beers in them and they're looking for the blue face paint. ;)
I take it you have met StillScottish? Get a few pints into him and even I can't understand him and I was brought up forty miles from the Scottish Border. Mind by the time we all get to that stage at a case swap or brew day it doesn't matter anyway, just a few caveman grunts and lots of telepathy do the job fine.
More beer?
Where beer?
Drink dis
Ta

You'd have be doing alright for yourself to fork out 10 pounds for a stubbie of beer for 'binge drinking' purposes!

Once again this just shows how ignorant the general public are to the highend beer market.

Sounds like a bloody nice beer either way. Enjoyed a BrewDog Paradox recently, very good stuff.

It has nothing to do with whatever end of a market a product as presumed to be. It is the alcohol consumed in one session. One of those beers exceeds the (ridiculous) level that is considered "binge-drinking".

Sorry, getting just a shade OT with this, but did anyone else note that the ABSO (if what's listed in the blog is correct) doesn't state that the jolly wee lass can't brew her own?!! I guess just as long as she keeps her brews and her drunken self at home, where's the problem? Could be on to something with this, I might just drop her a line with a heads up... (looks again at the pic in the blog...) erm, perhaps not this time- its probably not such a good idea for that young 'un to be drinking anyway...
Oh, and seeing as we were speaking of northern dialects, how's about "noo, ah dinnae ken a wort ye seyd, so jus quit yer haverin'!" ;)

I understood everything but "haverin'". Translation?

But yeah I reckon your idea could be made equally redundant (but no less awesome!) by HB79's post earlier:
Hahahaha, am I missing something? They're banning her from doing something thats's not legal for her to do anyway. I'll admit I don't know the legal drinking age over there but I doubt it's 14

I understood everything but "haverin'". Translation?

But yeah I reckon your idea could be made equally redundant (but no less awesome!) by HB79's post earlier:
haverin'- raving/ idiotic rambling

Redundancy noted, she's a wee 'un, fer sure! Worth a run though, if only she was a lawyer!

Ah. Actually, now that you've explained it, for some reason I'm remembering that word in a Proclaimers' lyric? Dunno why.

It has nothing to do with whatever end of a market a product as presumed to be. It is the alcohol consumed in one session. One of those beers exceeds the (ridiculous) level that is considered "binge-drinking".
Surely with that price and being a limited release, this would be a beer to share?

I had a 375ml bottle of Mikkeller Black recently, sitting at a whopping 17.5%, and found it tough going to get through in one sitting. Shame no one else was really into it, quite the opposite really. But yeah, that's like drinking half a bottle of port in one sitting, which would be binge drinking...and generally a whole lot cheaper! :blink:

Surely with that price and being a limited release, this would be a beer to share?

No question it would be heavy going but this is the criticism of wowsers we are talking about - not my own (as long as it is labeled adequately I don't care, myself).

Ah. Actually, now that you've explained it, for some reason I'm remembering that word in a Proclaimers' lyric? Dunno why.
Dunno about that either, but while there's a very good chance they've used it lyrically, that's not where I know it from. I have relatives in Arbroath (in Angus, Bairds have a maltings there in fact, we cycled past it heaps when I stayed there a while back) and Pittenweem (Fife) and also colleagues from Inverness and Motherwell, plus a Geordie spousie to boot. So I get the haverin' just about every day... still love the place though...

Edit: BTW, before there's a declaration of war, I do know that Geordies are most definitely not Scotsmen, I was more thinking of the northern parts of the isles in general. Just in case someone was wondering if there was some mistake.... ;)

That language is not unlike those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. Feel free to hear whatever you want to in the garble.

Dunno about that either, but while there's a very good chance they've used it lyrically, that's not where I know it from.

Didn't mean to infer that was the source. Apologies. Etymology is something of an interest (though not pursuit) of mine and I would never mean to suggest that.

Back