A Mans Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That language is not unlike those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. Feel free to hear whatever you want to in the garble.
Funny you should say that, they just think I'm simple when I so routinely give an empty blank look followed by an inappropriate response to whatever it was just said. Haverin' all right! :lol:

Funny you should say that, they just think I'm simple when I so routinely give an empty blank look followed by an inappropriate response to whatever it was just said. Haverin' all right! :lol:

And that's just when he's laid down the theory of relativity to in his lecturing job at the "Einsteinian Institute For New Australians".

OK, you're haverin' me. Or at me. Or to me. Or with me. Or you're going to haver my firstborn. I really don't know, and quite frankly I'm a little frightened. Whatever the hell it is, I'm surrendering, and backing away slowly.

The Renegade home library will be searched shortly for guidance books to help me understand such mystical utterings. Now where's those damn Irvine Welsh softcovers....... :lol: :D :p

Didn't mean to infer that was the source. Apologies. Etymology is something of an interest (though not pursuit) of mine and I would never mean to suggest that.
No need, it wouldn't surprise me if they had used it, it would fit their expected lyrics and vocabulary to a tee I would've thought.

BTW, etymology is such interesting stuff, ever catch Roly Sussex on ABC radio? Crikey, he's really something else as an etymologist and linguist, puts us all, and all of our dictionaries and thesauruses to shame.

Ah. Actually, now that you've explained it, for some reason I'm remembering that word in a Proclaimers' lyric? Dunno why.

If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you
And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door

Ahh, I had a feeling the night shift wouldn't be too far away! Saves the day!

Ah-ha! So, in the words of Barney Gumble, "haverin'" is "sweet, beautiful drunk-talk"?

Bloke gets drunk, you're his neighbour
If he's rambling drunkenly, he's doing it to you.
500 miles something, something...

The Proclaimers' song goes on. And on. And on. You know the one though?

Haverin' = drunken rambling. Well sorta...

Ed: Thanks BribieG, You da man!

Ed2: Yep I'd guess that's what Barney is relating. What else would he have to say anyway??!!

Ed2: Yep I'd guess that's what Barney is relating. What else would he have to say anyway??!!
He was sober at the time(!).

[EDIT: quote added so I have some idea what I was talking about when I read this back tomorrow (and I guess so others have a clue too but that is secondary)]

Haverin the shed, haverin the kitchen, haverin the car...

if they're all like oor wee lassie here, no wonder the scotch men drink

Haverin%20nalgo%20emb.jpg

To the Victor, THE SPOILS.

Haverin the shed, haverin the kitchen, haverin the car...

if they're all like oor wee lassie here, no wonder the scotch men drink

I thought the term 'Drinking Scotch Egg' was a metaphor for something else entirely.

He was sober at the time(!).
Who, Barney? That'd be a first. How else would he slip in his trademark enormous burp after every second sentence? (I dig the way his lips/mouth vibrate. Something I have yet to replicate, the joys of juvenility.) I must get the dvds out to peruse for this highly unusual and uncharacteristic spectacle of a sober Mr Gumble!

BTW, I think this thread might be getting a shade OT. Oops that's torn it- good one me... :rolleyes: And its all my fault... Sorry. :D

I'm not sure it is entirely your fault.

Bloody Renegade!

Could be worse, at least we got to do some amateur etymology. And didn't need google to achieve it!

Roly would be so proud...

:icon_cheers:

Yeah, I (all too late) realised probably I should have just googled it. Sorry but thanks.

BTW, I think this thread might be getting a shade OT.

You're right. But most of the bases have already been covered. It's still the impetus for what this has become, and why deny a bunch of member's talking good hunoured crap if it goes off-topic?

For those who have just tuned in, this thread is about the new beer by Scottish Brewery "Brewdog". It's an 18+% ABV beer oddly titled "Tokyo" that the wowsers are calling irresponsible. Turns out that they make no claims for the beer being a diet drink, unlike Carling or Stella, but the media are screaming bloody murder because it's going to promote drunkenness.

All obvious avenues have been commented on. It's not whisky. It's not wine. It's not going to be a consumer crossover drug to binge-drinking. It's just a stromg beer. The media beat up is bullshit.

That's pretty much covered it. Unless someone gives a new take on the opening topic that hasn't already been discussed, then this thread could be locked. It would be a shame though, most everyone seems to be enjoying themselves.

There's so much more depth to the character of Barney Gumble than you suggest. He got sober for a long time.

I prefer "patsy".

Turns out that they make no claims for the beer being a diet drink, unlike Carling or Stella, but the media are screaming bloody murder because it's going to promote drunkenness.

This is actually a pretty good point that will never get mentioned ever again.

Not anywhere that counts, anyway.

Back