9" Vs 12" Ss False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would their be any negative effects to putting the tap on the bottom, underneath the false bottom, of one of those 50L SS mash tuns?

No, that is the way I do it, works great.
I have seen that Tony does it this way as well.

Cheers,
Bud

I've got an 9" in my circular 37L Keepcold esky.
The 12" doesn't fit.
I had a custom fit false bottom and ended up with huge channelling down the sides.
Since I got the circular 9" dome shaped I haven't had any problems with channelling or stuck sparges.

I cannot see any difference then that you can get a quicker run off with a larger area for the grains to spread.
That when patch sparging.

(I fly sparge mainly and rake the grain bed twice each brew)
matti

I think people are confusing channeling with differential flow through the grain bed. They are two different things.

Would their be any negative effects to putting the tap on the bottom, underneath the false bottom, of one of those 50L SS mash tuns?

This is how I have my tun set up. Still building my AG setup.....taking ages but anyway can't see and issues and I'm sure others on here have a similar set up.

no probs either way, I reckon bottom drain is best as it drains the whole thing. But, if you have a hose on the outlet of your mash tun that drops below the bottom of the tun (piping through the side of the tun) , it will syphon the wort to the level of the inlet of the pickup. Sooo if you have the pickup 3mm above the bottom of the tun, when fully drained, you will have 3mm on the bottom of your mashtun left over, even if it is out the side of the tun...

As usual, you can't go wrong...

Back