False Bottom Choice for 100L Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber_Man

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a new setup; I am using 3 x 100 litre stainless pots.

My questions are:

1. Will a 12 inch (30 cm) false bottom be adequate for a 100 litre mash tun? The radius diameter of the mash tun is 19 inches (49 cm).
  2. If not can someone suggest an alternative?
  3. Can anyone suggest a good way to insulate the mash tun?
Cheers,
Justin

Do you mean the diameter (side to side) of your mash tun is 19 inches? Cause if it's the radius that's one wide mash tun.

Depends on who you want to listen to. Some will say a false bottom should be the entire width of the bottom. My 20inch wide mash tun has a 14inch false bottom in it and I'm happy with it. Actually I love it, I get 85% eff and never get stuck mashes.

I use either camping mats and/or yoga mats for my insulation.

QldKev

QldKev said:
Do you mean the diameter (side to side) of your mash tun is 19 inches? Cause if it's the radius that's one wide mash tun.

Depends on who you want to listen to. Some will say a false bottom should be the entire width of the bottom. My 20inch wide mash tun has a 14inch false bottom in it and I'm happy with it. Actually I love it, I get 85% eff and never get stuck mashes.

I use either camping mats and/or yoga mats for my insulation.

QldKev
Hey Kev, where did you get the 14 inch?

Mine's only 11 and i want some thing bigger than 12.

mikec said:
Hey Kev, where did you get the 14 inch?

Mine's only 11 and i want some thing bigger than 12.
I made it from an old keg bottom.

false_bottom_final.jpg

If you look real close, you can even see the round heating element under it.

QldKev said:
I made it from an old keg bottom.

false_bottom_final.jpg

If you look real close, you can even see the round heating element under it.
I've always liked the look of those ones. Still have to get my moneys worth out of the 12" falsie I got though.

Latest posts

Back