$70 82l stainless pot - what's the catch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeggie,
2mm would be very good, unless that is only the thickness of the base and the walls are much thinner.

Given that they think induction is a means to clean a pot, I would take the description with a grain of salt.

For $70, you could barely buy the stainless at the wreckers for that - $6.5 per KG last time I bought some.
That might indicate that it might not quite be as solid all around.

Have a search on here, try "stock pots" "ebay pots" "stainless pots" etc, I know I've seen those pots on here before

Roller997 said:
Zeggie,
2mm would be very good, unless that is only the thickness of the base and the walls are much thinner.
Exactly as described here. Have seen one of these first hand (same sticker on a 50L pot), very tinny sides, quite a bit of surface rust had formed, personally I'd rather spend a bit extra on a better quality bit of kit.

Yeah, there is another thread on here somewhere. I got 38 litre pot from the same seller. Can't comment too much on the quality cause I only received it yesterday. The seller lied to me about when it was posted and it took about a month to arrive... So don't expect it in a hurry.

I have that exact pot, from that exact seller.

If you dont expect a top of the line, beautifully crafted stainless pot, you wont be disappointed.
The walls are thin, the handles hold the full pot.

It turned up in just over a week from memory

Ive used it for ~10 brews on top of an Italian spiral burner, no problems.

If you are getting rust on your stainless, you should look at yourself before blaming the pot

If i had the money, i would get a top quality pot, but when starting up, funds can be a little scarce

I should add that I'm going to be using mine as malt pipe (sort of). Which I think it will be fine for, not sure if I'd use it as a pot. Think bigger version of a big w pot with not good looking seams. I wanted a thin base so I could drill holes in it. Most people don't

I got two of the 82l and a 38l. They are 0.4mm sides and 0.9mm base. They work but if I did it again I would buy th CB 100l pots. With 60l at start of boil they will overflow a little if not careful. Will probably buy another 38l to use as my second ss mash bag.

I have a couple of the smaller pots from the same seller. Used the 50lt one as my main boil pot for the last year and a half. There are a couple of tiny rust specs on the lid but besides that it has been fine. There are different quality levels of stainless steel and for that price its not going to be the best. Keep it clean and it will be ok. If you have more spare cash then buy a better one, but they have worked fine for me.

n87 said:
If you are getting rust on your stainless, you should look at yourself before blaming the pot

If i had the money, i would get a top quality pot, but when starting up, funds can be a little scarce

Not sure why I deserved that, I merely recounted an observation of a pot I had considered buying off someone. And yes, funds can be scarce which I certainly relate to as I am currently picking up bits and pieces myself for a proper BIAB set up as I go along. I did lash out $19 bucks for the BigW pot to tide me over doing stovetop brews so I can relate to going cheap when need be but if I was going to spend $70 bucks on a pot, I'd be putting another $80 aside over time and getting the CraftBrewer 70L pot. And a few extra bucks for the fittings.

Apologies to the OP, don't want to hijack your thread mate with argumentative stuff, I can see why you'd be looking at that pot but I personally would travel they way I decided to go as I had originally looked to get one of those pots second hand but having seen one of those and one from CB I'd rather save the extra dollars and go that way.

madpierre06 said:
Not sure why I deserved that, I merely recounted an observation of a pot I had considered buying off someone.
Not having a go at you, it wasnt your pot. just pointing out that no matter the grade of stainless, if you take care of it, it shouldnt rust.

Zeggie,

Where do you live mate? I don't know what your budget is, but there is a fella in Melbourne who is selling some ready to go pots (ball valves, elements etc) from about $250.

JD

I'm in ivanhoe vic.I can get a CB 70l delivered. Might take a risk and grab this $70 pot and give it a try.

I bought mine with same sticker not sure about the seller. Thought I was buying a 50L and a 45L for $120 delivered turns out that are 66 and a 88 and I have had no problems with them. I have only put 8 brews through the 66 and one through the 88 (I need a bigger burner)

A Magnet won't stick to the pot but will to the lid so the lid isn't 100% stainless if that matters or not

I got one off that seller also. Happy with it too. There's no one else anywhere near as cheap that I could find.

Ordered 2 of them for pickup. Will post pics and opinion once I've picked them up, drilled them and tried a brew.

zeggie said:
Magnetic = stainless I thought
i dint think it was so I googled it this is what I found
Stainless steels are a very broad group of metals. The name was adopted as a generic term for steel alloys with a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The chromium gives the steel its 'stainless' properties - essentially corrosion resistance. On the surface of the metal, a very thin chromium-rich oxide layer is formed which is inert - i.e. it prevents the steel from rusting. The advantage of stainless steels over plated steels is that, if scratched or damaged, the steel will 'self-repair' as a new oxide layer is formed. In plated steels, scratches in the plate will often lead to corrosion of the steel underneath.

In general, the higher the proportion of chromium, the stronger the corrosion resistance of the steel. In addition to chromium, other metals are added to give the steel particular properties such as strength and malleability. Specifically nickel is used to strengthen the oxide layer.

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

So the answer is yes, the magnetic properties of stainless steel are very dependent on the elements added into the alloy, and specifically the addition of nickel can change the structure from magnetic to non-magnetic.

Latest posts

Back