$70 82l stainless pot - what's the catch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok picked up 2x 82l pots this morning from this seller. As someone mentioned they're in Heidelberg West near the Full Pint warehouse.

First thing is I'd *highly* recommend if you're buying some yourself to drive and pick it up. He has literally 100 or so all boxed up there and the first 3-4 we opened either had massive dents, rust or what appeared to be dried engine oil type stuff.

I picked the best 2 that I could immediately find, few light scratches on them, nothing major. Hopefully they work out ok. I've included some pics for anyone in the future finding this thread and wanting cheap pots.

xgJczIF.jpg
XyiQNgm.jpg
78gaecZ.jpg
okMPUbp.jpg

I think it's fair if you're going to spend that little on a pot that size, that you'd accept some lacklustre worksmanship like that. It'll certainly hold wort.

Mate of mine just bought 2 of these and his comments were along the lines of "pretty thin, wife dinged one when she dropped the box but I managed to beat it out with a soft hammer, will do the job".

My only concern is the thick bit of weld in the 2nd pic. Nearly every pot he had, had a spot like that. Hopefully it doesn't rust.

zeggie said:
My only concern is the thick bit of weld in the 2nd pic. Nearly every pot he had, had a spot like that. Hopefully it doesn't rust.

it wont rust if you treat it well.

give it a good clean
dry
hit it with starsan
make sure every bit gets a good touch
dry. paper towel for the last bit to get rid of everything

it will passivate itself.

give it a good clean and dry each use, you shouldnt have a problem.

every stainless will rust, or atleast appear to if treated incorrectly

Back