60 lire urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superstock

Reaction score
I'm excited! Look what was waiting for me when I got home tonight. :) Brew corner 095.jpgBrew corner 101.jpgBrew corner 103.jpgBrew corner 100.jpgBrew corner 096.jpg
My big step to full size BIAB.

Congrats mate, many fun times ahead with that bit of kit! good size too. Let us know how she goes with a full size boil.

MB

Looks great. What brand and from where is the urn? Could you show us a pic of the plug for it?
Let us know how the first brew on it goes!

Yep, 3000 watts.
I think I've got it covered. Shed has :- 10 x 10a - 240v 3 x 15a - 240v 3 x 30a - 415v. Just have to decide which 15a works best when I decide where the skyhook goes.

No name brand. Bought it off Ebay from - Homebrewing is fun. Strangely the plug is a standard 10a type, not the wide earth pin 15a type. Will take a pic this evening.

Looks like a great size urn at 60litre volume.

3000watts will draw 12.5 amps so as long as your 10 amp circuits have a 16amp circuit breaker /fuse things should run good without tripping.
The 15amp plug has a larger surface area to handle larger fault current,but other pins active/neutral are the same size and will run ok.Check the
plug isnt heating up when you first kick off a brew,after it has reached temperature the element will turn on and off with thermostat control.

Good luck with your first brew with the new gear.

hairydog said:

3000watts will draw 12.5 amps so as long as your 10 amp circuits have a 16amp circuit breaker /fuse things should run good without tripping.
The 15amp plug has a larger surface area to handle larger fault current,but other pins active/neutral are the same size and will run ok.Check the
plug isnt heating up when you first kick off a brew,after it has reached temperature the element will turn on and off with thermostat control.

What about the GPO which is rated at 10 amp?

hairydog said:

Don't...
Don't suggest that...
That's how house fires are started by guys who reckon they're all clued up on electronics (not questioning your personal knowledge, just going off experience in general)
What if his wiring isn't up to the task? What if the socket isn't up to the task?

If it is one of the dual walled urns, then it is very likely to be a Keg King product. I had a look a couple of times and for some reason it wasn't in their online catalog.
I bought mine a couple of months ago and it is a great unit, even providing a bit of insulation due to its dual wall design. It is able to achieve a "continuous" rolling boil on double batches quite easily after a slight modification.

I had a couple of challenges with mine.
1. The dual skinned feature means that there is a gap where the tap is between the outside wall and the inside wall. While using the original tap, it was fine but when I changed it for a 1/2" valve, it started leaking a bit between the two walls. I changed the stainless washer and I moved to a thicker silicone gasket on the inside and that fixed the leak.
2. The model I purchased still had a dry boil protection in place which unfortunately kicks in when the wort is boiling. It turns off for a minute or so every few minutes as the temperature reaches 125 degrees at the sensor. The dry boil protection can be disabled by bypassing the 15Amp 125degree thermostat by shifting just one wire. This should be done by a licensed electrician.
Talking to Keg King, they are looking at offering the urn with the dry boil protection disabled in the future, so I am not sure if yours will have the same issue with the rolling boil stopping from time to time.
Mine also has a standard 10Amp plug (earth pin is the only thing that is different between 10Amp and 15Amp plug) and I was curious if it was a 3000Watt element until I got the dry boil protection disabled and confirmed it was a 3000Watt element. I use mine on a 15Amp outlet.

Regards

Roller

If built to Australian Standards without modifications (the urn) no problem.

This unit would not be available to Australian market if it wasnt and yes there would be fires and law suits.

If your house wiring isnt upto the task thats not a problem with the Appliance.I regularly test and tag Appliances

and am a Licensed electrician,make sure all power circuits are supplied with Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers.

Like I said, I wasn't questioning your practices
But saying it's fine to run on 10A reaffirms the idea in people's heads, and they don't bother to check their wiring is up to scratch
The average joe is not to be trusted with electricity...

Just stating the facts,

Always get a lic electrician to check wiring for house and Appliances if needed.

Never modify Appliances.

A 10 amp plug can be used on a 3000watt rated Appliance.

Happy days.

will you put a sight tube on it? Can you get a sight tube long enough? Volumes are always nice to have!

I'm currently using a 30L Birko urn and would love to be able to do double batches. I have seen this one around and thought it looks like a good option at the price. The 30A issue is a problem, but maybe i need to pass some beers to an electrician mate and have him take a look at my setup.

beercus

sp0rk said:
Don't...
Don't suggest that...
That's how house fires are started by guys who reckon they're all clued up on electronics (not questioning your personal knowledge, just going off experience in general)
What if his wiring isn't up to the task? What if the socket isn't up to the task?
Even though I have dedicated 15a sockets available for this I spoke to my good buddy the qualified sparkie and he said that household power wiring is 2.5mm rated @ 20a. It is permissible to replace a 10a socket with a15a socket provided that it is on a dedicated circuit (no 10a sockets on the same circuit) and the breaker changed.
PS this only applies to modern houses, not to something built in the 1950s.

If you do it right, it will work
But honestly you can't trust some people is what I'm saying

After a recent inquiry I checked with the manufacturer of electric elements and they state a +- 20% in Watt ratings is normal.
So if you have 3000w then it may well be 3600w being used. I am not a sparky but a worst case scenario should be taken into account I think .
I would use the 15A socket to be safe.
Nev

Roller 997 Yes it is double walled. Thanks for the tips. I was going to change the spigot. I won't know about the boil cutout until I have the frame / bench built for it. Picking up some 1" RHS this arvo. Has yours got the boil / keep warm switch? I wondered if it bypassed the cutout when switched to boil.
If I didn't have 15a sockets, I probably would have had one installed, as at $250 delivered to Brisbane, it was too good a deal.

Beercus No not fitting a sight glass. PITA to clean and most of the time when boiling the lid will be off.

Back