57l Grain Storage Bins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
People were asking where I got my plastic grain bins from the other day and they were all run out, but I noticed yesterday at Bunnings (Greenacres?) that they have 57 litre rectangle stackable bins for $11 each, and they had HEAPS of them. Good price too. Hope that helps those of you that were looking. :)

How many kilo will a 57 litre container fit?

Start edit....

1 cup of uncooked pearl-barley weighs 175 grams, so based on this, I figure a 57 litre container will fit almost 40kg of grain?

I can tell you they'll hold around 1 and 1/3 sacks of grain, not quite sure about 40kg though....

1 & 1/3 sack! Sounds great, after the recent Melbourne Bulk Buy I have seven sacks to store and I really hate the idea of mice getting into it!

Do weevils like malted grain?

Weevils adore malted grain. After emptying a bin, I give it a good napisan wash, rinse and air dry in the sun. I try and avoid mixing up grains, just to ensure that if weevils are infesting a bag, it doesn't get transferred onto the next bag. Any suspect grain is quarantined and used as soon as possible. Have not had a problem, but have read about brewers opening sacks and moths flying out.

Also, when storing grain, I write using text on the top of the bag the type of grain, the source and the date. With small specialty bags in plastic, texta can rub off, so either use a sticker if the bag is sealed, or slip a bit of paper in with the grain details. Same with hops.

Determined mice and rats can make short work of your plastic bins, so don't encourage them. Avoid spilling any grain.

These tubs look handy. Wouldn't the grain benifit from being stored in an airtight container though?

Kabooby :)

I agree with all you've said there POL, especially about the mice. Nothing short of steel cans will stop the little buggers if they have already discovered your grain and tell their mates about it.
I was going to use 80l galv rubbish tins with a lid. but with a heavy plastic liner bag, because I don't think that grain in contact with the gavanised surface would be appropriate. But this one has to do for the moment because of the cost difference.

edit : I agree Kabooby, you might be right, but I've been using this style of bin for a couple of years now and never noticed a deterioration in grain performance/taste etc (not that I'm an expert), and I've also noticed a few homebrew shops using them for their opened specialty grains, I'm assuming for the same reason I'm using them - mice, and all the other reasons for wanting to keep things tidy. Almost anything is better than an open sack of grain on the ground I reckon. You have however got me wondering how I could seal them up a bit.....:)

Back