50L Keggle & 3 ring gas burner cinder / besser block stand, SAFE?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
They are quite stable stacked straight though, but to be safe will offset the bottom two slightly so the top layer of house bricks are flush.

The best house bricks are the ones with the three holes in them yea? I've only got the ones with no holes and "dimples" on each side, which from memory are for paving edges / small walls etc. Are those kiln fired worst case I can't get three hole type bricks?

Will definitely do! Hoping this Sunday will be my first full volume AG BIAB!

Sorry DJ. I meant stack two in one direction then the next layer 90degrees to the others so they tie together.
Where in melbourne are you? You're welcome to my old spiral burner stand which a keg fits on snugly. Then you can adjust the height of the burner underneath with bricks. I've got a couple of kilned pavers that sit under it u can have too.

Camo6 said:
Sorry DJ. I meant stack two in one direction then the next layer 90degrees to the others so they tie together.
Where in melbourne are you? You're welcome to my old spiral burner stand which a keg fits on snugly. Then you can adjust the height of the burner underneath with bricks. I've got a couple of kilned pavers that sit under it u can have too.
HAHA, I should have realised that (duhh), yep I get what you mean now, like real life Jenga, for brewing :p

I'm North-East (Macleod), think that's only 35-40min from you. That's a super swell offer if you don't mind? Sounds like it would suit perfectly :D Will send a PM

Cement Sheet , the new version of what people of my vintage and older still refer to as "AC" Which is short for Asbestos cement sheet is available in a variety of forms. Compressed sheet ("Comp' Sheet") is a heavier tougher version, blueboard is a render substrate that is about 6 mm thick, Villaboard is a wet area lining board that is about 4.5 mm thick (That is what I had) , tile underlay is about the same thickness and probably the cheapest option. There are other weird variants like exotec that are exterior cladding materials but they are all very similar. Most of these can be obtained at one of the big supermarket chain / hardware Duopoly / insurance / credit card capitalist pig outlets near you. Or from one of the million offcuts in my rubbish trailer.

The knife used to score and snap the sheets is , stragely enough , is called a score n snap knife or you can use a a pair of cement sheet cutters or (if you fancy some silicosis) a grinder.

Just repeating for absolute clarity. AC sheet is a non combustible and a great heat shield but for fucks sake be careful.

Edit: Everything. Note to self - Don't post in a rush.

So brew day yesterday was a success, did a 23L Dr/ Smurto's golden ale, ended up with precisely 23L in the cube although it was at 1.055 so my estimated efficiency of 70% may be wrong, or my measurements, will sort that out next brew!

Keeping on topic (I'll post in the AG section about efficiency), the cinder blocks worked a treat in combination with one large concrete tile I found at my parents house, The keggle was not perfectly stable sitting directly on the burner so I'm taking up Camo6 on his awesome offer and going to use a proper stand for my next brew.

One thing was, there was a nasty kind of smell and a little bit of black soot in the end, particularly if running all 3 rings on the burner. Although I had a nice strong rolling boil with the two outer rings on and a decent simmering boil with just the outer ring on. The air adjustment rings were fully opened and the flame was almost all blue except for some small orange flame right where it touched the bottle of the keggle. Could this be (the smell, yellow flame and the soot) caused by the keggle sitting too close to the burner jets? ie. with a proper stand and a bit more space between. the flame will burn a clear blue?

Some photos attached to show the final setup :D

QO3tsh7.jpg

XqAsxUK.jpg

unT1X9q.jpg

KHhlSgx.jpg

Just uploading my current setup, thanks to camo6 for the free fire bricks and keggle stand! Works a treat :)

20140309_170132.jpg

20140309_172213.jpg

Back