Burner upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronix81

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade the burner under my biab keggle in the quest to speed things up a little. Currently using a 3 ring burner I had prior to starting out which does the job no worries and the issue may possibly the spacing from the burner to the base of keg as if it is running flat out I get flames licking up the sides of the keg. Have been looking at NASA burners however I can't find them with out the stand or the other option is a 32 jet Mongolian but they seem pretty gas hungry- I guess that's the trade off for high output.
To add further confusion to my decision I have been reading about electric been more efficient and as I have 3ph in the shed I can wire a few dedicated circuits to the wall where my half built brew stand has been In use(had intentions of building a 3v system but supply can't keep up with demand so I've been brewing not building when I have spare time).

Any first hand experience with gas over electric or vice versa would be great

IMG_6293.jpg
IMG_6582.jpg
DD5AB7CF-67A5-4A6B-B817-58264E93E728.jpg

Mongolian burners are def not gas hungry. I run 2 x 10 jet on hlt and mash. And a 20 jet on boil kettle. All 50l capacity . I get about 4 brews per 9l gas bottle.

i use the italian spiral with a med pressure reg. I've had up to 130L on this and boiling in 30 minutes.

I bought the high pressure burner from keg king (with stand and reg) after getting frustrated with my three ring burner. It's great but I've been planning an electric recirculating setup ever since...

NASA or turkey burner on amazon. You need to buy the burner and compatible regulator. Both pretty cheap and then you pay for shipping. Still worth it though.

NASA or turkey burner on amazon. You need to buy the burner and compatible regulator. Both pretty cheap and then you pay for shipping. Still worth it though.

I looked at amazon but couldn't find a seller that would ship to oz, why the need for a different regulator, possibly fittings are different?

i use the italian spiral with a med pressure reg. I've had up to 130L on this and boiling in 30 minutes.
I have the same. It amazes me how well they work. I also have a Mongolian which is ten times more noisy but not that much hotter?

This is mine going. I like these burners because they have a great range and are easy to clean. Just take out the centre screw and clean with a wire brush. I've had a couple of boil overs. The vents in the keg line up top and bottom so boil overs always end up in the burner. I've done about 2 dozen batches and into my third 9 kg gas bottle.

IMG_8923.jpg
IMG_8924.jpg

I've got one of the smaller 23(?) jet Mongolian burners, will easily boil 30L, also using a keggle like your system. No need for a high pressure or adjustable reg either, just a BBQ reg. A 9kg gas bottle will last probably 5-8 brews, depending on environment and boil times, etc. So, I would recommend, but downside is they get very sooty, not a nice clean burn like the NASA or Italian spiral burners, but they seem to use less gas.

I use the three ring burner with an adjustable high/medium pressure regulator from grain and grape.

I find it rusts up occasionally and needs a clean. I just use a drill bit and poke through each jet by hand once or twice, and then tip it all out the neck. Make sure you remove the gas jets off first so you don't clog them up. Right as rain again.

I've also found you need just a little more height between burner and pot than the stubby supports on the burner provide. If you can adjust the height of your stand in your brew rig to allow for this, I'd recommend doing that. Just an extra inch or so.

I do a 50 litre pot with about 40 litres of wort in it, and usually run just the outer two rings on full to get it to temperature (with the regulator turned up to 2 or 3, it goes up to 11 by the way), and then turn them down a bit during the boil (with the regulator on 1). I get several brews out of a 9kg bottle.

I use the three ring burner with an adjustable high/medium pressure regulator from grain and grape.

I find it rusts up occasionally and needs a clean. I just use a drill bit and poke through each jet by hand once or twice, and then tip it all out the neck. Make sure you remove the gas jets off first so you don't clog them up. Right as rain again.

I've also found you need just a little more height between burner and pot than the stubby supports on the burner provide. If you can adjust the height of your stand in your brew rig to allow for this, I'd recommend doing that. Just an extra inch or so.

I do a 50 litre pot with about 40 litres of wort in it, and usually run just the outer two rings on full to get it to temperature (with the regulator turned up to 2 or 3, it goes up to 11 by the way), and then turn them down a bit during the boil (with the regulator on 1). I get several brews out of a 9kg bottle.

I think the height spacing is what’s causing me to question the burner. As it is I believe it may be to far below the keg, I’ll space it up over the weekend and try it out. Thanks for the post [emoji106]

Another thing with keggles is that the rim of the keg can trap the flames/gas in there and cause efficiency issues.

Latest posts

Back