$500 dollars worth of improvement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabicemann

Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller...

I have a $500 CB gift voucher and I'm not sure what to spend it on.
I currently no chill BIAB in a concealed element urn. My results are ok but not amazing. I have a STC100 on an old fridge as well. Unfortunately space is at a premium in my house so I'm a little bit limited.

I was wondering what I should buy in order to improve my process and results (or should I put it towards a Braumeister) and was hoping the collective AHB wisdom could help me.

Do you even keg, bro?

I'm pretty sure you don't have to spend it all at once. For example, Ross might change it to 5 x $100 dollar vouchers so you could break it down a bit. The worst he can say is no.

Just a thought.

then $500 worth of renovations to make it so :lol:

What do you need mate? if you are already cranking along and happy with it all, spend it on ingredients

Where do you feel you could make improvements?

Hitting predicted targets?

Fark, I have about a thousand ideas of things I would like to do.

Could even just spend it on ingredients.

Rabicemann said:
I was wondering what I should buy in order to improve my process and results (or should I put it towards a Braumeister) and was hoping the collective AHB wisdom could help me.
Mate, it seems you already have the gear required to make great beer. Buying something else won't change your results. It's YOU that's the important bit of the equation....

I won't attest to being the "collective AHB wisdom", but maybe hold onto that CB voucher for the moment. Instead, spend some $'s on educating yourself by buying some books & burying yourself in them, BIG-TIME. I'm sure there'll be an "Aha!!!!" moment somewhere in the exercise.

As they say, "knowledge is power".

Edit: I guess I should've just said "$100 investment in yourself is worth much more than $500 in gear"

grain mill could be a option and "investment" (mashmaster minimill)

get rid of the washing machine and put in a keg fridge :)

Make space for kegging - make it happen! :beerbang:

I'd say look at it in terms of the issues you want to solve. I'm a big one for the knowledge solution suggested by MartinOC, so that's always on my list. That always leads me to look at my brewing in terms of process issues I want to solve.

For example I have trouble hitting step mash temps as I do infusion mashing. I've considered whether I should just decoct all my beers, among other solutions. I also want to minimize the enormous amount of trub I get as a result of BIAB. So I'm looking at moving to a basic HERMS setup, largely spurred by Yob generously giving me his old HEX. Looking at his it could also be built fairly cheaply. The solutions need not be pricey. Plenty of champion beers have been brewed on basic BIAB setups.

Let the process changes lead your equipment changes. You may not need to change much at all. Get some more knowledge and identify process changes you want to make. Then work out what you need to achieve that. Also go check out the setups of people who brew beer you'd like to be brewing. That will help you work out where your issues are.

Sounds like you have all you need. I like my gadgets. Refractometer. Scales. Grain mill. PH meter. Etc. Plenty to blow money on. But if you want better beer follow the advice of the above posters. Learn the whys and why nots.

Rabicemann said:
or should I put it towards a Braumeister..............
Being a BM owner I should be recommending this.

But as you already have a decent BIAB set up I'd try and find the space and get into kegging. BM aside it's the best money that I ever spent on my brewing.

yair mate,
A good 2nd hand frige for 0/50 dollars,
CO2 fire extinguisher ?? dollars, (fittings can be got to connect a regulator).Size depends on which extinguisher.
From Cratbrewer or other Seller, for starters;
2nd hand kegs x 2,
regulator , (maybe $50 el cheapo for starters},
tap ,disconnects,non return valve,(must have this),beer and gas line,
+ other sundries,etc.
You should have money left over.
Had a pic but can't insert it here.

MastersBrewery said:
Oxygen, stir plate, ingredients.
This. ^ plus flasks for your stir plate. Fermentation is king.

Maybe a chiller - for some it does make a difference with results compared to No Chill (did for me, I've tasted it in others).

But have a look at how much space your bottles take up (filled bottles awaiting consumption, empties, cleaning gear etc) and think how nice it would be to have just a small bar fridge with two kegs in it.

Latest posts

Back