50 Ltr Keg Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside (aka gratuitous plug) most of the equipment I mention has further details on the brewiki pages, especially brewiki: equipment for hardware and cleaning and sanitation for chemicals.

Any suppliers I find useful generally get their details on the brewiki somewhere.

The rest of the stuff I buy from the LHBS.

Batz

What kind of flow rate do you get with the braided tubing? I set up a new mash/lauter tun yesterday using a 300 mm length of it in a bazooka style. Testing with water I got a flow rate of 500 ml/minute. Is that about what to expect? I've crimped the mesh back on to the original end fitting which has a fairly narrow bore & I wondered if that was slowing the flow too much.

BBB & Jazman

The pics i showed you were for my HLT, my other boiler is heated by a 3-ring burner. Hey thanks for the tip...didnt think about the plastic on the handle...might have to make a few adjustments.

Cheers

mmm, sosman does have a nice tap. i still need a fitting for the end of mine.
joe

Gents,

I just got a price for a 4-ring burner (Kookaburra), High pressure regulator & 9kg gas bottle (filled) for $145 is this around the mark ?????

Cheers
JSB

KenEasy,
I just did a check for you , with plain water nothing else
It would be 240 lt per hour

Thanks Batz, that's 8 times the flow I'm getting. :( I might need to take the narrow end piece off then or get a longer piece of mesh (or both).

4 Lt per minute

easier to fathom

SOSMAN thats the tap i have. Dont forget to remove the aerator.

This baby has worked for me and i have alot of heat on her. Just make sure, (i dont know if anyione has said this), to not have your tap above any of the holes in the base of your keg.

I just got a price for a 4-ring burner (Kookaburra), High pressure regulator & 9kg gas bottle (filled) for $145 is this around the mark ?????

JSB if you allow say:
$40 for gas cyclinder
$25 for reg
$65 for burner
Leaves about $15 for gas...
so its reasonable...i guessed the above amounts, shop around and see what other people can do for you.

cheers

PG,

Cheers, I saw the same burner for $80 and then down the road for $97........

Funny think retail hey ????

Cheers
JSB

So all has gone real well the keg conversion. Now I'm thinking of doing a nother one for a HLT. can anyone tel me of a good source for a elctric heating element and thermometer in Melbourne or at least on the web.

Thanks

i got a four burner for $80 and then payed $30ish for an adjustable regulator.

This baby :wub: chews upto 2kg of a gas an hour, but it heats my wort in no time.

Well worth the investment.

p.s. it also came with a cast iron frame

got my 3 ring form aussie dispols 40 bucks

would you guys use a burner or go to the touble of intstalling an elctric heating element.

go the burner. I use an immersion heater though for my HLT.

I just fill the HLT the night before. Set the timer and when i wake up the liquid is nice and hot. Plus electric is cheaper than gas.

Trust me Bigfella when it comes to AG you want to reduce the amount of time your brewing. A four burner gas element does this.

Keep on asking questions though!

Back in November 03 'Justin' posted the following on the 50 Ltr Keg Boiler thread:

"Angle grinder is the best option. Get a very thin cutting disc, suited for cutting stainless (I will post the part number tomorrow), anyway it's a very thin disc and cuts like a hot knife through butter on the keg."

Justin or someone else in the know - please advise the type of disc discussed. I like the hot knife option as opposed to changing discs every 2 minutes / making a few trips to Bunnings.

In addition if someone is feeling bored could they please outline a non-weld tap set-up that works (i.e. piece | piece | piece | keg wall | piece | piece | etc..). A photo would be brilliant if someone had one. As you can see I am no plumber, however if someone spells it out I should be ok.

Cheers
Fish

Fish,

The type of disc I used to cut mine was a non-metal cutoff wheel. They were about 2 bucks each from All-Tools. I only needed two of them. You could probably even get away with one. By all accounts the non-metal ones avoid rust in the cutting region or some crap like that. IMO any type of metal cutoff wheel would work just as well and probably cost less than 2 dollars.

The trick is not to force the grinder into the stainless but rather let the wheel do the cutting. You'll use less discs that way and it will not take much longer.

As for weldless taps. I just used a pipe nipple, 2 rubber washers. The ones that are used on fermenter taps and two flat, brass hex nuts. It never leaks.

Caveat; My boiler is electric so it avoids gas flame heating the tap. I can't guarantee that my weldless tap would stand up to an LPG flame. YMMV.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back