50 Ltr Keg Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm impressed it only took 9mins to get a picture of a turkey on here :lol: You must be frequenting the wrong types of sites :eek:

Nice pictures Warren - love the turkey - pretty pink dress and a nice rack! :lol:

I used a Flexovit metal disk (only one was needed) on my keg shaped vessel a couple of weekends ago - I had a diamond tipped disk but decided not to use it unless I chewed through a shitload of metal disks. As was said in earlier posts, let the disk do the work - don't get medieval on the cover, just run the disk over it to make a deep score and then go back when it is a bit cooler to finish off the cut. I held the grinder upside down and let the top of it rest against the rim - keeping it vertical allowed a nice even cut all the way around.
I worked the lid off in less than 5 mins and there is still enough of the disk to make it useful to clean off small jobs etc (yeah, I know, tightarse!)

I have a Morse brand 7/8ths metal holesaw with built in arbor and a pilot drill bit - picked it up from local plumbing supplier for about $35 - will punch a hole in the keg this weekend in preparation for installing a weldless SS bulkhead fitting - getting closer to AG brew day now!
Cheers,
TL

tl drill slow and use a cutting oil like cdt or rocol u may wear out that bit as i have stuffed up a lot off drill bits drilling ss i would use a uni bit as it a versityle drill bit and drills graduallly

Thanks Jazman,
Yeah, its all a bit of a learning curve for me - as a black hander I make a great concert pianist! I'm not afraid to admit that I have no idea how to use this stuff, but so far, none of my gear has killed, zapped or impaled me or my family!
What was that oil you referred to - is cooking oil or Singer sewing machine oil no good? My understanding is to use a low speed and high torque so the saw cuts the metal rather than scrapes it.
TL

How do u guys get the wort from the boiler to fermenter ? do u pump? otherwise u would have to do the boil up high so it can drain into the fermenter.
I am thinking it might me heaps easier just to siphon the wort out of the top of the keg rather than go to the drama of puting a tap on. What do u think

use a tap

have the boiler on a stand so that the fermenter is below...

let gravity do the job...

Go the tap my friend. The last thing you want to be doing at the end of the brew day is buggering about trying to get a siphon going. I have a tap and love it, my mate doesn't and I just have to laugh at his attempts to transfer the wort post boil. So much messing around.

So for a little more work now, you can have the joys of gravity from brew no.1.

Cheers, Justin.

N.B. He also siphons from his mash tun (a shitty old esky that he doesn't want to cut a hole in (???!!??), and I mean shitty :wacko: ). Two words on that: Bloody Nightmare. He's the stuck sparge mystro.

Siphoning unfermented wort at it's most vulnerable is something I'd rather not deal with :( I'll save it for my glass carboys. You can see where the bottom of the hose is going then. With a S/S boiler you're poking about into the unknown a bit methinks.

Taps are no big deal to fit to a boiler. Makes life far, far easier.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back