50 Ltr Keg Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
I don't like the idea of using elements in a kettle , I have seen these and the boil is concentrated around the element too much , much better to go gas in my opinion

Only my opinion guys

Batz
I'm currently tossing up whether to go gas or electric. Anybody else have opinions on this one? (particularly interested in hearing from people using electric elements to boil)

Batz,

You say that the boil concentrates around the element. Stirring more or less minimises this. I've used elements for a few years and they seem OK. Only complaint is that the boil isn't really strong enough with one element and always winds up too strong with two (boilovers).

Also I think I suffer from poor hop utilisation with elements, also easily compensated for. Pretty easy to get hot spots with gas as well.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Only complaint is that the boil isn't really strong enough with one element and always winds up too strong with two (boilovers).
Is there a compromise - say a 3500W element? Or would that draw too much load for a domestic circuit? Maybe 2 smaller ones?

warrenlw63 said:
Batz,

You say that the boil concentrates around the element. Stirring more or less minimises this. I've used elements for a few years and they seem OK. Only complaint is that the boil isn't really strong enough with one element and always winds up too strong with two (boilovers).

Also I think I suffer from poor hop utilisation with elements, also easily compensated for. Pretty easy to get hot spots with gas as well.

Warren -
Point taken Warren , as I said my opinion only

You have been using them with success , no problems then

I do doubt that you would get hot spots using gas , at least not with my kettle , the rolling boil is way too strong

Batz

Is there a compromise - say a 3500W element? Or would that draw too much load for a domestic circuit? Maybe 2 smaller ones? [/quote]
Yes ken a 3500w will draw as much as 14.5 amps.
So you will need to have a 15amp ciruit and 15amp wiring.

Jayse

Thanks for the help guys.

Great pics Hoops and Sosman (Sosman I should have tried the encyclopedia that is Brewiki first!). Justin - I should be right re. the cutting disc - might try one of those Flexovit ones. Do most hardware stores sell these?

Will report back with some photos at a later date.

Fish

i have a 2 element electric copper washer.
i only use one element - 1.8kw.
Not enough.
When i wire up the second element and get a 15 amp circuit - i have purchased a 3.4 kw oven rheostat.
This is infinitely variable and can handle the wattage power ok.
i will be conecting this up in series to the second element so that i can adjust the second element only.

This will work well i hope.

Find one of these Ken and it should work for you.

I have chosen electricity because i have 3 kids and feel that the electric option is safer tahn naked gas turkey burning flames around.

I do see a problem there GMK,
That being if the elements are in series than you can't control them both seperately, being that they are all one ciruit.
Ie active > goes to ones side of the element and comes out the other side then goes to the next ellement through that ellement then to neutral.
Has you can see you will have to have them each with seperate power not in series to control one but not the other.
Thats how I see it working anyway.

Jayse

My elements will be run in parallel.
The rheostat will control only one element.

the first element will allways be on...

the second will be adjustable...

Ok some simple circuit analysis that may help (assuming i dont stuff it up :eek: )

1) These electric elements are a simple resistive device which heat the water from the heat dissipated in its resistance (Power Dissipated = V^2/R).

2) If you connect two in series then you have effectively doubled your circuit resistance ® and therefore halved your power output per element. This means that you aren't getting more heat (power) in the setup.

3) Connect them in parallel and you now halve the effective circuit resistance. This will lead to you doubling your current and therefore you now get double your power.

Soooo if you are going to do this you better put them in parallel or you will not be getting any extra grunt from it. Not sure if this is what you are planning GMK hard to tell from the description.

ok, I was bored, back in my box now :huh:

Thats it Jason

use the rheostat to control the second - have them in parallel.

Ken...

GMK said:
i have a 2 element electric copper washer.
i only use one element - 1.8kw.
Not enough.
When i wire up the second element and get a 15 amp circuit - i have purchased a 3.4 kw oven rheostat.
This is infinitely variable and can handle the wattage power ok.
i will be conecting this up in series to the second element so that i can adjust the second element only.

This will work well i hope.

Find one of these Ken and it should work for you.

I have chosen electricity because i have 3 kids and feel that the electric option is safer tahn naked gas turkey burning flames around.
safer tahn naked gas turkey burning flames around.

Your'e right GMK,
When it comes to childrens safety you definitely need to be VERY careful of those "Naked Gas Turkeys" particularly if they are burning flames!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Cheers

I hope the above post doesn't encourage any one to post a picture of a Naked Gas Turkey. :lol: :lol: :D
Cheers

Bugga it!!
Couldn't resist it.
At worst it will end up along side Big Brother. :lol: :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

pic07134.jpg

Bloody hell Ken,

Looks like that one just gave birth. :eek: :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Cheers

You a sicko dicko :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dicko...

It is hard to soar with Eagles when you are surrounded by Turkeys....
:rolleyes:
:lol:

pioneergangsta said:
Bigfella, those 50kegs are handy and perfect for a boiler.
As justin stated use a metal cutting disc, and it doesnt take long at all, if cut the top out of 2 50l kegs so far.
As for the tap, i used ball valves however didnt do any welding.
For my tap i cut a hole, threaded pipe through the hole, fixed with flared nuts and used washers, then srewed on the ball valve.
Tested and no leaks.
As for heating mine is electric and just used jug elements.
(see pics)
How many Gal's are these kegs?
And where do u get em? I know at my local pubs they are all diff types floating around out the back waiting for collection, i wonder if they would miss one?

Back