4 pines stout yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moad said:
OK, If I am sending this out to 30 brewers I don't see a good reason to not post it. That and the guys at the brewery weren't too phased. This may not be the regular recipe but they may have been experimenting on smaller batches. I assume the brookvale brewery is where the large batches get done.

So here it is, hopefully I am not out of line posting it.

Would be great to use this thread to perfect it on a homebrew scale.

Enjoy
Cheers mate! Do you have a higher def image though? Cant make out the kettle addtions or mash additions?

That would be great mate, as it's hard for me to read that photo as well.
Tks

I had a crack at reading this, happy to be corrected:

48.78% Ale Malt
20.33% Maris Otter
9.76% Munich
7.32% Crystal
4.88% Carapils
4.88% Roasted Barley
4.07% Carafa Sp 2

Mash in @ 68°
60min mash rest @ 66.5°

60min boil, BG @ 1.054
(can't read the boil volume, but I'm sure you could work it out from the grist & BG)

Mash additions:
CaSO4 : 80g
CaCl : 50g
MgSO4 : 30g
NaHCO3: 35g?
CaCO3 : 200g
Beta Glucanase: 20g

Kettle additions:
430g Target @ 60min
300g Fuggles @ 30min (could be 20min)
10g(?) Yeast nutrient @ 10min
100g Brewbrite @ 10min
300g Fuggles @ 10min
Google says your target IBU should be around 40, and ABV around 5.1%.

The question is, MOAD, are you going to replicate the recipe with US-05 or make a better beer with W1098/ WLP007 / S-04?

Interesting to see ale malt and Maris Otter. Why wouldn't you just stick to just Maris Otter? I'm pretty bad a recipe formulation so interested in other people's thoughts.

sjgibson said:
I had a crack at reading this, happy to be corrected:

48.78% Ale Malt
20.33% Maris Otter
9.76% Munich
7.32% Crystal
4.88% Carapils
4.88% Roasted Barley
4.07% Carafa Sp 2

Mash in @ 68°
60min mash rest @ 66.5°

60min boil, BG @ 1.054
(can't read the boil volume, but I'm sure you could work it out from the grist & BG)

Mash additions:
CaSO4 : 80g
CaCl : 50g
MgSO4 : 30g
NaHCO3: 35g?
CaCO3 : 200g
Beta Glucanase: 20g

Kettle additions:
430g Target @ 60min
300g Fuggles @ 30min (could be 20min)
10g(?) Yeast nutrient @ 10min
100g Brewbrite @ 10min
300g Fuggles @ 10min
Google says your target IBU should be around 40, and ABV around 5.1%.
Assuming target OG = 1.054, target FG = 1.015 for apparent attenuation of 71%. Sounds reasonable and I have no idea how you read 1.054 in that.

donald_trub said:
Interesting to see ale malt and Maris Otter. Why wouldn't you just stick to just Maris Otter? I'm pretty bad a recipe formulation so interested in other people's thoughts.
Conversely you could say why not stick to just ale malt? Each imparts a different flavour or has its own contribution.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think this comes in around 28 IBUs. 4 Pines has it at 40 IBUs.

kaiserben said:
I'd say he worked it out himself (because it's actually listed in plato).
Yup.

avago said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but i think this comes in around 28 IBUs. 4 Pines has it at 40 IBUs.
If you use a wort-chiller, yeah -- it works out to around 37 IBUs on my small batch, no chill setup.

Brewed this yesterday. Pre boil was expecting to get 1.045. Got 1.052 from the extra fine crush so this one will be a little more boozy. Alsi cocked up my hop additions forgot to put them in later to counteract the no chill isomerisation. So will see how it turns out

donald_trub said:
Have made stouts before on a Maris otter base that ended up too sweet for me - this may be to give a bit of malt without being overbearing and allowing it to get out of the way of the other malts that give the beer it's character.

I have been mucking around with black IPA'S recently.
Moad could you please pm me a clearer recipe, with the colder months ahead I would really like to replicate this stout. I also would like to get a nitro tap. Does anyone know where to get nitro beer gas besides BOC, yearly account keeping gets too expensive. 4 pines stout is so smooth, I wonder how it would be on the standard Co2?

Is it nitrogen that gives guiness its cream like head?

I've made some stouts with plain co2 that have a well creamy head I think the nitrogen changes the flavor of the beer somewhat though.
I'm definitely no expert though!

When staff pouring the stout at 4 pines brewery I asked them if it was served on nitro and they said yes. It sure looked like it was cascading to me! I did have a few before that though.
Any way, I have Brewed a 40L batch today, I hope it turns out something similar.

Back