3V build help reqd

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giraffe

Reaction score
Hello brewers, a few questions I am building a 3V -

Is it best to have a MASH TUN with a domed false bottom with a bottom or side exit ?

What height would be best to have outlets on your HLT, MASH TUN , KETTLE ?

What height to install temperature probes on HLT , MASH TUN , KETTLE ?

Finally is it best to have 2 or 3 tiered or pumped 3V ?

In all / most of these instances... Completely up to you and How you want to run your system and build it.

There is a "Dedicated HERMS" thread with many piccies of 3V setups, have a wander through the pages there for inspiration.

FWIW I run an 80l esky as MT, outlets at the bottom usually... Temp probe on the HEX.. Tiered system.

Cheers

ed: added link

The beauty of it is that you can start as small as you want and then build on it.

I started with 1 vessel BIAB in a 32L pot with no tap, using a jiggle siphon. Then I added a tap, and that was cool.

I then upgraded my pot size to 40L, also cool.

Earlier this year, I got an esky mash tun sorted out with a SS braid. Viola. Already had a 40L kettle and a 32L HLT. Now I have them all stacked on different heights of crap in the shed for draining properly. Just got an over the side element for heating my HLT. Will I make up a proper stand? Will I get a temp probe and automate it? Will I get a pump for HERMS? Who knows? It's all part of the fun!

As far as heights for draining go, my HLT and kettle have their taps about 10cm off the bottom with pickups that go right to the bottom. Esky has its ball valve in the hole where the original spigot was.

Cheers

Phil

Giraffe said:
Is it best to have a MASH TUN with a domed false bottom with a bottom or side exit ?
As fancy or as simple as you like. I still just use an esky with copper manifold, a keggle for HLT, and a 3 ring and another keggle. Has worked fine for almost 10 years.

Giraffe said:

The design is a personal preference. I would recommend getting to a brew day or two and seeing a few systems in action.

I wouldn't bother with a thermometer on the kettle, if its boiling its at 100 C and if its not boiling then its not hot enough.

lmccrone said:
I wouldn't bother with a thermometer on the kettle, if its boiling its at 100 C and if its not boiling then its not hot enough.

I've just installed a thermometer in my kettle, just so I can set it to sound an alarm at 98c to warm me prior to a boil over. Technically it's a PID, but that was just so it matched the others on the control panel.

lmccrone said:
Not exactly, but good enough...

I have a thermo on my kettle mainly to measure the temp after the boil for wort chilling/cubing to keep records.

lmccrone said:
True, but I love watching the temp drop when I kick on the coil chiller :)

They're like cds but heaps bigger and usually black.

Yob said:
what are records?
I've been told they are like a list of stuff that happened. I am yet to experience this as each time I brew I have the best intentions to scribble notes but a liquid amber coloured liquid normally inhibits the use of a writing implement.

keifer33 said:
I've been told they are like a list of stuff that happened. I am yet to experience this as each time I brew I have the best intentions to scribble notes but a liquid amber coloured liquid normally inhibits the use of a writing implement.
Maybe you could try one of them Speech to Text computer programs, maybe I could to, good idea me....

My vote goes for single tier 3V with an old keg as the mash tun with the exit at the bottom. A kaxian pump on the hlt to run to the mash tun and a kaxian pump on the mash tun to run a HERMS and to send to kettle which is powered with a rambo. Keep the brew frame nice and low but high enough to drain the kettle into a cube.
Well that is what I have now but when I first started it was old tables some cheap pots and lots of lifting. Has taken a few years to slowly build.
These days it is pretty cheap to set up a HERMS and makes the brew day easier and more consistent. IMO the kaxian pumps are the best value on the market, never had a single problem with mine and I must admit I don't look after as well as I should.

Cheers

shaunous said:
Maybe you could try one of them Speech to Text computer programs, maybe I could to, good idea me....
My records would end up a long list of profanities and slurred ramblings. :unsure:

I've purchased 3 - 98L pots and the build is happening, probably with a herms.

shaunous said:
When brewing I'd need a Slur to Text program

Giraffe said:
I've purchased 3 - 98L pots and the build is happening, probably with a herms.

Fantastic. What pots did you go with? I'm really starting to think about a bigger kettle but seem to be spending too much on other toys.

bradsbrew said:
IMO the kaxian pumps are the best value on the market, never had a single problem with mine and I must admit I don't look after as well as I should.

Look after?

Don't they just work?

Latest posts

Back