38l Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lachlan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have noticed while cruising the site that we all love pictures, so here are a couple . This is the start of my AG experience, i completed my mash tun on the weekend. Let me know what you think. I had to use a couple galvanised washers, one will be in direct contact with the malt, will this be a problem?

Loc
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG

Hi Lachlan

I tried galv washers in my first setup and found that they corroded very quickly when immersed in just hot water. Wasn't game to try them in a mash after that. I ended up making my own washers out of square aluminium with a hole drilled through (left over from mash paddle).

Hoyle

It's a Frosty, i got it from Rays Outdoors at Castle hill for $40.00, it's not the best but is 38L and foam insulated, i will just have to fill the lid with expander stuff.

Loc

Wow i was going to get 1 of those @ Rays around 2-3 months ago and it was $99! shrugged and said well my current mash tun is working.. why upgrade!

Now ive got a slow keak due to me overthreading (doh).

How long ago gig you get it? I mgiht roll by tonight and pick 1 up!

Cheers!

I picked it up last week Fourstar, i would give the closest stores to you a call, Rays outdoors is also Boots Outdoors, they carry the same stock.
Good Luck

Loc

re the galvanised washers, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be exposed to hot wort. Isn't there a bunch of zinc etc in them? I know that gal is bad when heated (gives off toxic gases) but that's probably more serious temps than a mash. All the same I wouldn't risk it. Go to a marine supplies store (like Whitworths) or an industrial nuts and bolts shop. I got some stainless washers at these places which are a much better bet.

I thought I recognised it - I bought one last week too.

Any tips on getting the tap in? Did you have to drill it out or did you find a threaded brass pipe to fit the existing hole.

Looks nice!

I got all the parts there from Bunnings, the threaded pipe is a perfect fit and no drilling required. The hole in the external casing (the orange one) is larger than the internal hole so at the moment the tap assembly is only fitted to the internal hole and is not attached to the orange casing. As you can imagine the white inner plastic is not overly thick so the tap assembly moves around a bit so i am going to secure it to the outside casing, somehow.
I will be interested to see how you, Phonos, attach your assembly, it might remedy my problem.

Loc

So if the pipe was a perfect fit, does that mean that the original plastic nut and rubber washer will fit on the pipe's thread?

I was thinking that maybe a large square washer/metal plate that fits the entire indent at the tap may hold the thing together better. Also, if you're able to, cutting the pipe will probably stop it moving about as much, as there will be less leverage. It will also mean less area for you to lose heat from.

I may get around to putting it together tomorrow - I'll post what I have found when I get around to it.

the rubber washer stretches over the pipe but the plastic nut does not fit the pipes thread, a larger square washer sounds like the way to go.

Thanks

Loc

Personally - IMHO - I hate Brass and would not use galv washes.

I use SS Threaded pipe and a copper washer for inside the mash tun. Been told taht copper helps the mash.
Then a SS Ball Valve and then onto a plastic 1/2 inch male Nylex click tap fitting.

Then make all the 1/2 inch rain water hose lengths with Nylex click females - and i can just snap them on and off.
Real easy.

Hope this helps

On the tap assembly of the 1 I picked up yesterday, the white spacer could be bored out to ensure the front assembly isnt all loose.
Im thinking of using 1/2 inch fittings:

internal would be:
barb (host tail) for a braided hose, to a nipple with a locknut, and washer.

External would be:
washer, locknut, the plastic spacer on the kit and a ball vale

all with rubber/silicone spacer/o-rings for sealing.

ditch the gal washers. Go to BigW / KMART ? TARGET and pick up a silicon bacing dish / cake tin or similar. use it to make your own washers.

ditch the gal washers. Go to BigW / KMART ? TARGET and pick up a silicon bacing dish / cake tin or similar. use it to make your own washers.

These are great for seals, but if you don't have a flanged nut then you'll need a metal washer to keep the seal in place.

For anyone interested, I called the city Rays outdoors and they have sold out of Frosty! Shattered about that, $40 for a 38L cooler is a great price. I also called Boots Outdoors as suggested, but they dont stock Frosty, they only stock the Rubbermaid for $99. They told me that Rays Outdoors stock Frosty, and they only stock the more common brands.

Dammit! <_<

Thought i would add that the city Rays outdoors guy told me that all of their stores had sold out. I assume this is SA stores only.

For anyone interested, I called the city Rays outdoors and they have sold out of Frosty! Shattered about that, $40 for a 38L cooler is a great price. I also called Boots Outdoors as suggested, but they dont stock Frosty, they only stock the Rubbermaid for $99. They told me that Rays Outdoors stock Frosty, and they only stock the more common brands.

Dammit! <_<
One of these (link) from Chilli Coolers should do the job, and 50l too. has anyone seen one in the flesh?

Thats a seal, not a washer. You need something of equal diameter to your seal to compress the seal.
I've got a esky with a 1" drain, so I made a 3/4" outlet pipe to the threaded pipe section, (actualdia is 1") and ball valve, and used the silicon bakeware to make a seal.
Didn't work, I need a 1" diam metal washer in front of it to compress the silcon seal.

If only I could find one, I've had no luck in finding 1" id washers in brass or s/s :(

edit:^ Fuel, I bought a 50l rectangular esky from chilli coolers on ebay, I'm not sure if the round one is the same, but my rectangular one has been a PITA because of the 1" drain bung.

I might just bog the hole up, is there any food safe and heat safe silicone sealant tube I could use?

they have got PLENTY in the Preston store (Victoria). They had 40+ when i walked in there monday night, they had a wall of them! Maybe they could inter store transfer them or call around to a few sites and check stocks.

Might be a silly question, but what did you use to bung the open end of your braid?
Also, I had a look at Bunnings today and they did not have any of braided hose, where did you get it from?

Cheers, Mick.

Latest posts

Back