38l Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a silly question, but what did you use to bung the open end of your braid?
Also, I had a look at Bunnings today and they did not have any of braided hose, where did you get it from?

Cheers, Mick.

Look in the plumbing section.

Regards

Graeme

Look in the plumbing section.

Regards

Graeme

Yeah I did, but couldn't find any. Mind you, they were out of alot of stuff, I think they are reworking the whole store so maybe they are not filling the shelves until that's finished.
I couldn't find any 1/2" ball valves, nipples or barbs either. Wasted trip.
I might just have to go to a plumbing outlet and pay more. Anyone know any good wholesale plumbing shops? What about Turks? Or are they just lecky?

you need to find a 'Reece' plubing mob

Stuff Reece there a rip off
pop into southwells at camden for ball valves there good value.

MCT give us a call mate may be able to help you out with the braid

Franko

Stuff Reece there a rip off
pop into southwells at camden for ball valves there good value.

MCT give us a call mate may be able to help you out with the braid

Franko

Thanks for that Franko, picked up the ball valve for cheap there this arvo. Found some braid at work too, although I'm not sure it's long enough. Time will tell. Thanks for the offer mate!
Lachlan, did you come up with any ideas for securing the ball valve? I've pretty much copied your setup, thanks for the pics.

Thanks for that Franko, picked up the ball valve for cheap there this arvo. Found some braid at work too, although I'm not sure it's long enough. Time will tell. Thanks for the offer mate!
Lachlan, did you come up with any ideas for securing the ball valve? I've pretty much copied your setup, thanks for the pics.

Funny you ask MCT, i will post some pics over the weekend. Last night after a few beverages i was relieving myself before going to bed (by relieving myself i meant peeing) i looked down behind the toilet and noticed where the water pipe comes through the wall and the tap is mounted there was a nice ss backing plate. That is just what i need, so as the Mrs slept soundly i was off out the front to turn the water off and to grab a shifter to remove the tap.

I fitted it this morning and it looks nice. Lucky for me the wife sits down to pee so i should have time to cover the hole in the wall before it gets noticed.

Loc

Funny you ask MCT, i will post some pics over the weekend. Last night after a few beverages i was relieving myself before going to bed (by relieving myself i meant peeing) i looked down behind the toilet and noticed where the water pipe comes through the wall and the tap is mounted there was a nice ss backing plate. That is just what i need, so as the Mrs slept soundly i was off out the front to turn the water off and to grab a shifter to remove the tap.

I fitted it this morning and it looks nice. Lucky for me the wife sits down to pee so i should have time to cover the hole in the wall before it gets noticed.

Loc

:D Nice work.
I found a big enough washer for the outside that secures mine nicely now, only problem is it leaks :( .
I've tried a heap of different washer/seal combinations and used a roll of thread tape and it's still dripping....
Have you water tested yours?

:D Nice work.
I found a big enough washer for the outside that secures mine nicely now, only problem is it leaks :( .
I've tried a heap of different washer/seal combinations and used a roll of thread tape and it's still dripping....
Have you water tested yours?

I have tested mine several times without a problem, i used the original silicon washers that were on the tap and have had no leaks. This might be a silly question but have you got a seal, washer and nut on the inside and outside of the white inner lining and then a third washer and nut on the outside of the outer casing? If not you need to make sure the inner lining is sealed both sides, don't over tighten as this can squeeze the seal out from under the washer.
Other than that you may have to replace the seals with new ones.
Good Luck

Loc

I just bought one of these and copied your setup too. I'm also having leakage problems. I'm thinking it may be what you said about being too tight, as I can see the seals being squashed out the sides. I will experiment a bit more once I have drained the water out from inbetween the two layers (i.e. where the styrofoam is). Also, what kind of filler might be good for the lid? I was thinking of drilling the hole open a bit and then filling it with beanbag beans and then plugging it up.

I just bought one of these and copied your setup too. I'm also having leakage problems. I'm thinking it may be what you said about being too tight, as I can see the seals being squashed out the sides. I will experiment a bit more once I have drained the water out from inbetween the two layers (i.e. where the styrofoam is). Also, what kind of filler might be good for the lid? I was thinking of drilling the hole open a bit and then filling it with beanbag beans and then plugging it up.

What solved it for me was having a seal both sides of the washer. Firstly I only had a washer on the inside of the washer (up against the wall of the tun), but having 2 seals fixed it for me.
Thanks Lachlan, I wouldn't make a plumber!

I just used that space invader stuff in a can to fill the lid with, just don't pump the whole can in like I did, it made a mess and took 2 days to dry out. It doesn't come off your fingers either...

P2020007.JPG

Cool. I gather this space invader stuff can be obtained at bunnings?

Cool. I gather this space invader stuff can be obtained at bunnings?

Yep you can get it at bunnings, i filled my lid with it like MCT, and i also put way too much in and it just seeped back out over the weekend. I thick the best way to do it would be bit by bit. Good Luck.

Loc

Here are a couple of pictures with the SS backing plate behind the valve, The one i stole from the tap in the toilet.

Loc
Mon_23_June_025.jpg
Mon_23_June_020.jpg

Back