2l Flask & 2l Starter Of 3068

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share something funny that happened to me thismorning. After preparing a 2L starter last night of said 3068 I sat it on the keg fridge to do it's thing, only to wake thismorning to a volcano of yeasty deposits all over the place. I wrap my starter flasks in a t-towel and it looked like someone had cleaned up vomit with it and put it back around the flask, the wall behind the keg fridge had bits of yeast on it like someone had flicked a paintbrush all over the shop. This is the most vigorous yeast I've delt with to date, I'm glad I found out now with a starter, rather than later with a whole fermenter. Sorry, I don't have any pic's, I was in too much of a hurry to clean it up, take the young bloke to school and get to work. If it's like that again when I get home I take one. The Bribie can post his beast again to compare :D

In summary, a 2L flask cannot handle 2L worth of 3068, I'd say it'd have trouble dealing with half that.

Yes indeedy those yeasts can be excitable little buggers, you may need more than 50% headspace in your fermentor too when it fires up in there with the Wort.

Mine came thru the airlock a few month ago!

Holy crap 50% :blink: , maybe I should use my 60L fermenter for the 25L batch I have planned, or cut it back to 20L.

I had an explosion with 3068 just with a single smackpack. I could imagine 10cm of headspace in a 2L flask calling for a blowoff tube.

Thats my plan for the next weizen i do. BLOWOFF TUBE!

Some good pics of overflows and blow off tubes here: Linky

This yeast is great for cropping (in a sanitary fashion) and storing for the next batch too!

I learned my lesson with this yeast a few weeks ago.

I used clingwrap on my fermenter, and after about 24 hours from pitching, it had crawled out the top, onto the fridge floor, out the door, and made a mess of the garage floor under and around the fridge.

Had to spend a couple of hours cleaning it all up.

Next time I'll use a lid, and a BIG blowoff tube and collection bottle. Will need to make a larger hole and get a larger grommet for one of my lids just for this purpose.

One positive, it produced my best hefeweizen to date, and the first one I'm really happy with.

As long as she gives me the goods she can make a mess wherever she likes, think I'll keep this one in the bathroom though, just in case. I'm just glad I didn't pitch the smack pack straight into a brew, cause I would have been in a bit of trouble had it made a mess where my fermenters normally live.

As long as she gives me the goods she can make a mess wherever she likes, think I'll keep this one in the bathroom though, just in case. I'm just glad I didn't pitch the smack pack straight into a brew, cause I would have been in a bit of trouble had it made a mess where my fermenters normally live.
Below is a Youtube link to a hefeweizen I did last month. I used Wyeast 3068 at 22deg C. As you can see its a very active yeast, I made sure I had lots of head space and blow off tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got home yesterday and it was quite calm, bit of crud in the airlock but nothing escaped. I've decided to use the 60L fermenter with this yeast, I don't think too much head space will be an issue here, by the sounds of it you could brew a 23L batch in a commercial fermenter with this stuff, nice.

Back