2hr all grain brewday... it can be done!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. Thanks.

I might do this on a beer I'm planning to emulate Belhaven's St. Andrews.

Out of interest - how long does it take people to heat say 35L of room temp water to strike? With my Crown at a (generous) 2400W, I've calculated it at about 50 mins, which matches reality. I've seen estimates of 20 mins for similar volume with gas. With those times, and with cleanup, surely the "2 hour" brew day is really 3 plus change? Or am I really that much of a faffer when I brew?

I get about 35L to boil in 30 minutes from cold on the two pots on the portable cookers, or next to nix if I use hotwater from the system (Even more so if I protein rest in first and then use the 20-30m to pull up the next lot of water).

If I could find my posts I would link to them.

I have done plenty of 10min boils and I have done a full quick brew day in under 2 hours including clean up.

My house apa works on a full 90min mash/ 10min boil and all hops into the cube. I calculate all of my hops as 20mins and aim for 30ibu. You get a nice smooth bitterness and plenty of flavour. I still dry hop 1-2g/litre

The quickest all grain brew day was a BIAB Aussie pale ale with 80% ale 20% wheat mashed for 30mins. Infusion of boiling water to mash out. Raise the bag and bring to the boil. Crank the Italian spiral burner, boil for 30 mins and no chill. It was actually a nice beer (which surprised me also)

Anyone who says it can't be done hasn't tried it. If your so adement give it a go, it won't take you long to see...

Let's not get confused also, the last two beers that I have made have been a big batch of stout and a Timothy Taylor's Landlord Clone. I wouldn't think of using these quick methods for these beers. Both of these got a full 90min mash and an hour boil. I tend to do a FWH with my 60 mins boils but that's my preference.

Time and a place.

Latest posts

Back