2019 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing popping up here (BNE) for Cascade, Goldings or Victoria plants. They have about 2inches of sugar cane mulch on each and after a long dry winter there is regular rain/sun here now.

I'm just about to spring clean / weed and feed the lawns; should I be feeding my hops anything in particular now?

Nothing popping up here (BNE) for Cascade, Goldings or Victoria plants. They have about 2inches of sugar cane mulch on each and after a long dry winter there is regular rain/sun here now.

I'm just about to spring clean / weed and feed the lawns; should I be feeding my hops anything in particular now?
I've had 2 Chinook dormant in pots since last season, starting to show activity, no bine shoots yet. Just seasold and a bit of liquid organic dynamic lifter at modest rate, I'll let you know when they pop. BNE NW.

Victoria popped up today! No sign from the other two yet. I might give them all a powerfeed and seasol later in the week.

2nd year Victoria kicking off.
This one was a rhizome in september last year.
Should i have cut it back further? Should i cut cut it back now? Theres lots of shoots happening
View attachment 113353
I recognize that. Aquaponics! i think i remember when you first planted them. Aquaponic hops are um, different.
Huge stems, trunks, to the diameter of a 50c coin. Most the nodes sit above ground dormant and visible all through winter. Many more spring out from underneath as well until its like some huge Kraken creature. I just had to remove one from the grow bed that was fun! not. This started as a tiny cutting experiment. Its not even 3 years old yet. Last season I got 3kg dry off this Cascade.

Cascade Crown Aquaponics0003.JPG
Cascade Crown Aquaponics0001.JPG
Cascade Crown Aquaponics0002.JPG

I now replaced this with Tettnang. The Tettnang has failed every year in the ground through 2 seasons now so its the new experiment in the Aquaponics this year see how it goes. Shooting days after planting. This was a week ago they are now to 2 foot long.

2019 Hop Garden0003.JPG

I recognize that. Aquaponics! i think i remember when you first planted them. Aquaponic hops are um, different.
Huge stems, trunks, to the diameter of a 50c coin. Most the nodes sit above ground dormant and visible all through winter. Many more spring out from underneath as well until its like some huge Kraken creature. I just had to remove one from the grow bed that was fun! not. This started as a tiny cutting experiment. Its not even 3 years old yet. Last season I got 3kg dry off this Cascade.

View attachment 113499 View attachment 113497 View attachment 113498

I now replaced this with Tettnang. The Tettnang has failed every year in the ground through 2 seasons now so its the new experiment in the Aquaponics this year see how it goes. Shooting days after planting. This was a week ago they are now to 2 foot long.

View attachment 113500
Sweet fancy Moses! What a mutant! Hope she flower like a hot damn!

View attachment 113499 View attachment 113497 View attachment 113498

View attachment 113500

yep i definitely took some inspiration off your kraken cascade :bowdown:

should i trim some of the nodes back or let them go?

I need to get some more fish in the pond too. had a leak and had to replace the liner, which led to a mass fatality of my fish... only have a dozen let at the moment!

fuggles and cascade coming up.

AF1QipMyv4hdnZOWsVKnIaC8ajPbFYCBH4XYLI3rjkPO

wGesd7LjCzprUaAa9

Attachments

• fuggles.jpg
    fuggles.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Centennial rhizomes just starting to rise here in VIC. Field is ready for spring. It won't be long now for the rest of them.

Attachments

• centennial1.jpg
    centennial1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 192
  • centennial2.jpg
    centennial2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 194
  • field.jpg
    field.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 184
Hi all
All of my plantings have started to rise with the Dr Rudi plants going gang busters, I noticed that when I dug then up late winter that the root structure was far and away the most developed of all my plantings from 1st season cuttings, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with this variety?
Anyway I have hung all my ropes, I use 10mm sisal as I feel it gives a furry like surface for the bines to grip on to and is cheap enough to replace every couple of seasons.
Will update again when frames are loaded and again just prior to harvest.
Happy growing and brewing.

Dr Rudi.jpg Cascade.jpg Nugget.jpg

Hi you all.
This year I have gone all out and bumped up my plantings from eight verities to eleven and now have twenty four crowns in the ground.
I have Fuggles, Chinook, Cascade, Victoria, Dr Rudi (Super Alpha), Target, Nugget, Perle, Pride of Ringwood, East Kent Golding and Hersbrucker.
I'm going to have far more than I could use but being and avid gardener I really like the whole growing stuff you can use vibe.
Hope all goes well for other growers, gotta love spring when hops are finished with all the planning for world domination and come out and put their plans into action.

Now just gotta get an avatar pic.
Cheers
Hi, I'm really interested in the potential for trying to grow my own hops though I'm not sure how successful it will be in Perth. Can you point me in the right direction for obtaining my own rhyzomes?

Managed to get myself a handful of cluster rhizomes from @fungrel (thanks) and planted them about 6 weeks ago
about 2 weeks ago, the shoots started appearing.
They were starting to get a bit long, so I figured I had better make something for them to climb.

Using 3mm army/camo cord from bunnies and a couple of eye bolts, I made this:

20180929_102356.jpg

Easily lowerable for harvesting

20180929_102310.jpg

It is 3m high at one end and 2.2m at the other... hopfully this is enough for them to play.
Cost about $20, including 316SS eye bolts, and I still have plenty of cord for other stuff

And a quick photo of the hops... that somehow ended up sideways...

20180929_102709.jpg

After a good start, my hops bines have slowed dramatically. Thanks to the advice of a friend who has much greener thumbs than mine I discovered that my soil was acidic, ph was down to 4.5.
I've added garden lime and brought the ph up close to 7, but the bines haven't taken off again yet.
Has anyone else ever experienced ph issues stunting the growth of their hops? I'm hoping they kick off again, but there's always next year I guess.

After a good start, my hops bines have slowed dramatically. Thanks to the advice of a friend who has much greener thumbs than mine I discovered that my soil was acidic, ph was down to 4.5.
I've added garden lime and brought the ph up close to 7, but the bines haven't taken off again yet.
Has anyone else ever experienced ph issues stunting the growth of their hops? I'm hoping they kick off again, but there's always next year I guess.
A soil pH that low would have a lot of plants reeling! How long since you added the lime and how much?
Remember a big pH shift will set the plants back until they acclimatize.
Imagine yourself moving to Greenland, it'd be a while before you ventured outside without a huge coat :)

If you're lime addition was recent, chances are the pH will increase but then drop over time.

I think it's something like 300g of lime per sqm to up the soil pH 1 point but don't take my word on that.
Check multiple internet gardening sites to be sure.
You're looking for a final pH around 6 to 7

If you are still amending - aim for 6 because hops don't like alkalinity.

edit: I hope you are not relying on one of those cheap electronic testers, they are way off sometimes.
This one works very well and is easy to read.
https://www.ozbreed.com.au/product/inoculo-soil-ph-test-kit/

Last edited:
Anyone got a couple of cents to throw in regarding pruning new growth? I've got 2 Chinook plants (2nd year, 1st was pots now in ground) training 4 bines each to a bit over 2m on a frame. Going beserk, new shoots popping up all over and climbing the surrounding hip height mesh fence. Should I cut the right back, try to get them on the ground or just let them go nuts? I pruned a few right back the the first node last week and after a bit of a lull they just took off again like nothing happened. Located Brisbane NW metro.
Cheers!
Edit - will add photo tomorrow, no light.

Anyone got a couple of cents to throw in regarding pruning new growth? I've got 2 Chinook plants (2nd year, 1st was pots now in ground) training 4 bines each to a bit over 2m on a frame. Going beserk, new shoots popping up all over and climbing the surrounding hip height mesh fence. Should I cut the right back, try to get them on the ground or just let them go nuts? I pruned a few right back the the first node last week and after a bit of a lull they just took off again like nothing happened. Located Brisbane NW metro.
Cheers!
I trimmed all my second year chinook to the ground today, they were all bull bines that were getting about 30-45cm.

If you're happy with 4 bines, keep trimming the rest that emerge. The plant will get the idea.

I figured I'd leave 1 or 2 I can train onto something. The rest my gut says they'll rot on the ground in the humidity or be eaten. Seemed to recover ok from the last clean pruning. Thanks!

Cheers!
Keep cutting back the new growth. It'll take a few rounds.

Each bine you cut will grow laterals, and there will still be some bines that have not come up yet. It'll lessen over the season, but the plant will still kick a few bines out.

Did you put a load of fresh manure around the hops? Dolomite lime would have been the go to lime to use, but if you have it up to 7 the hops themselves can adjust the pH level in the soil to a certain degree.

My Cascade has finally poked its head up properly, should be seeing more over the coming weeks. Glad it will be a more normal season by the looks of things, last year I was harvesting in December. We're moving house in December this year so harvest will be after that which is nice. It's still at my parents place currently, but the new house is one we are buying so I will cut the crown out and take a few rhizomes over there during next winter to start again.

IMG_20181109_105258.jpeg

Latest posts

Back