Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Hop Plantations

Discussion in 'Hops' started by SwagBiker, 19/8/18.

1. SwagBiker

Posted 10/11/18
    Thanks for the advice. I put the garden lime on about three weeks ago now. The ph, as tested yesterday, is between 6 and 6.5. I’m just using a colour match swatch and indicator solution from a garden shop.
    It seems that the vines that came up before ph correction have been permanently stunted but new growth is going well now.
    On the varieties that have new growth of pruned the old bines and the new ones are happy. But my Victoria hasn’t had any new growth yet, so it’s relying on only a small sprout for any sunlight. We’ll see how it goes.

2. bevan

Posted 24/11/18
    IMG_4888.JPG
    My cascade has decided to start popping some flowers (well I think they are) a bit early. Do I need to cut them off or is there something else I need to do? Or just leave them
    Location is Riddells Creek Victoria.

3. garage_life

Posted 24/11/18
    I've got burrs last week that have gone into full budding cones already on a few bines only.
    Keep nutrients up and harvest and store as they mature, don't leave them too long. I usually supplement my organic fertilizer with "%hrive flower and fruit" @1/4 dose and potash as per recommended during flowering. Plenty of guides for harvesting and nutrients out there. I've never gotten to serious about pH etc and just run what I've bring with good soil / prep and been working so far. Chinook BNE

bevan likes this.
  4. bevan

Posted 24/11/18
    Thanks garage_life.

5. bj2

Posted 15/12/18
    My cascade is sending out laterals already. Seems a bit early? I’m in Melbourne.

6. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 15/12/18
    It is early, but every year is going to be different. First year plants are unpredictable.

I have burrs on my Centennial already, and Victoria and Chinook have thrown out laterals and close to producing burrs. I cut back my Cascade a few weeks ago and am now just training it up.

Commercially, many cutback the first growth (after first year) and train up the second growth.

7. Jimmayo

Posted 6/1/19
    My second year hops is doing really well.. late start to the season here in Sydney due to the cold wet and rainy weather, albeit it has taken Like wild flower once they popped there head out in early October.

Evidence of a few pests on my chinook but nothing overly hindering.

My irrigation system I put together is doing wonders. Still trying to workout the best configuration timing wise, if any one has more experience on this topic im all ears. I’m currently setting the drip line to 10 mins evvery 12 hours in this 30+ weather, with a quick splash of extra water mid day to cool them down.

Starting to bud at the moment. Last year I waited too long to harvest and they had a browny tinge to the cones. I’m going to pick them nice and green this year.

Attached Files:

8. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 6/1/19
    There's nothing wrong with a bit of brown on the hops. If the tips are just browning, they are probably ready to be picked.

Picking them early will not give the lupulin time to do its thing. Pick them late and you may notice onion/garlic aromas and flavours that are undersirable.

What's the drip line rating? My plants are in mounds and I'm giving them 14L per plant per day on average.

9. wide eyed and legless

Pro

Posted 7/1/19
    14 litres a day is a huge amount of water, I thought tomatoes were a thirsty plant at 50 litres, but that's in its lifetime.

10. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 7/1/19
    That's one of the downsides of mounds, any excess water drains to ground level. I'm also watering a 1.5sqm area per plant. It's about 2000L per day for my field. On dry hot days, it's more. Keeping the soil moist can be a challenge. Most years I don't fire up the irrigation system until some point in December and I don't use much water after end of February. I have 45,000L of tank water at the beginning of the season and a dam to tap into when needed.

11. fungrel

Moderator Staff Member Moderating

IT Wench
    Posted 16/1/19 at 9:48 PM

Chinook has once again outdone itself. Rivals Cluster as being the best variety to grow in our region (Central Coast).

Company of one likes this.