2019 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you search thoroughly some of the years gone by Hop Plantation threads, you should find lots of images of people doing a good job of growing them in pots. It's important to ensure they have enough nutrients and get plenty of water.

Hi fellow hop growers,
I have two hop crowns to give away. One Victoria and one Hallertau. Both about 3 years old. Still in the ground at the moment and not sprouting yet. Vic grows well in Canberra and produces well, Hallertau not so much as it's too hot. It would need a good spot to grow well and I don't have one. I'm located in Belconnen ACT, pick-up only please.
Cheers Pasi

you can buy fabric (root pruning) or plastic (black poly) grow bags in much larger sizes, fwiw.
https://fernland.com.au/nursery-supplies-products/plant-containers.html or search for them
grab some 200l blue poly food drums and dock them in half.

5610-2_1024x1024.jpg

well were off and racing again, and again the fuggles are well out of the pot faster and stronger than the cascade, however both last year and the year before the fuggles have hit the wall and the cascades motored past them, i wonder if the last couple of sumemrs have been to hot for the fuggles being an English variety?

Day length is an issue with Fugglies. They will grow ok in Brisbane and northwards going on what others have gotten from them. They probably won't do much good in Tassie because it is not far enough south.

Hi fellow hop growers,
I have two hop crowns to give away. One Victoria and one Hallertau. Both about 3 years old. Still in the ground at the moment and not sprouting yet. Vic grows well in Canberra and produces well, Hallertau not so much as it's too hot. It would need a good spot to grow well and I don't have one. I'm located in Belconnen ACT, pick-up only please.
Cheers Pasi
I think you need to make a few more posts before anyone can message you.

Day length is an issue with Fugglies. They will grow ok in Brisbane and northwards going on what others have gotten from them. They probably won't do much good in Tassie because it is not far enough south.
that statement sort of contradicts itself?

that statement sort of contradicts itself?

Day length is longer in Tasmania than Brisbane during summer. You need to get down to the latitude of New Zealand's South Island for Fugglies to start doing ok. Once day length gets too long they stop growing. Same thing with Tettnang.

Thank for the reply. The silence was deafening. Good to know it's not just me.

Day length is longer in Tasmania than Brisbane during summer. You need to get down to the latitude of New Zealand's South Island for Fugglies to start doing ok. Once day length gets too long they stop growing. Same thing with Tettnang.
Thats very interesting given they are an english variety and they have longer days.

Hi AHB hop growers,
Just moved back from about 18 months in Hong Kong and have totally missed the boat on acquiring rhizomes for this year. I’m interested in trying to grow a few plants from cuttings in the hope that I either get some yield or a nice little rhizome for next year. Have any of you successfully grown from cuttings? I also still need to get my hands on cuttings so if anyone lives near Perth WA and can spare a couple of off-shoots, I’ll be able to repay in hops if I don’t kill em..
:bowdown:
Cheers!

i have never taken cuttings from hops before but for other plants i have found you need a nice fresh stem and pretty much need to cut it, use a razor to splice the stem , dip it in the growth hormone and straight into a seed bed for it to have any chance, i dont think cutting some bines and sending them for someone to much later try to propagate would be very successful. pity your on the other side of the country otherwise i would be happy for you to take come cutting of mine and try.

my Cascade, Chinook, Victoria and Red Earth are all up. Surprisingly the red earth was the first one to come up this year and that is historically the under-performer.

Cheers for the tips! Yeah I really do need to make some WA mates who have hops.. might just have to wait until next year

Cheers for the tips! Yeah I really do need to make some WA mates who have hops.. might just have to wait until next year
Hey mate,
I'm down in bridgetown. I only just planted my first rhizomes this year. I found some on facebook. Have you checked the Facebook marketplace or Gumtree. There might be some on there still.
I also remember that Preston valley hops in donnybrook were selling some in pots at some.point in the year

octHops.jpg

cascade well underway, just trained a couple of the lower bines.

jPOgnTE.jpg

hope this attachment works... first yeear hops heading up, doing ok given the brisbane weather we have had

Latest posts

Back