2018 NSW State Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No disrespect to the organisers meant here (after all, I also volunteered for one day), but I genuinely wonder here. It strikes me as impossible that there’s no software that would help conducting competitions like this. It seems to be 4 or 5 related tables, and I would imagine if a flight sheet is entered into the system right after the flight is completed, it should be possible to generate a complete results table very fast. Obviously, it doesn’t solve the problem of scanning, collating and sending scoresheets, but as soon as people have got their results they would be willing to wait patiently for feedback. Am I missing something in the picture?

No disrespect to the organisers meant here (after all, I also volunteered for one day), but I genuinely wonder here. It strikes me as impossible that there’s no software that would help conducting competitions like this. It seems to be 4 or 5 related tables, and I would imagine if a flight sheet is entered into the system right after the flight is completed, it should be possible to generate a complete results table very fast. Obviously, it doesn’t solve the problem of scanning, collating and sending scoresheets, but as soon as people have got their results they would be willing to wait patiently for feedback. Am I missing something in the picture?
Some people don't 'wait patiently' for feedback in the same way everyone is 'waiting patiently for their results'

Just like everyone has an opinion on how a comp should run.

Your post in the context of this thread sounds more like a criticism than a suggestion. Be sure to talk more about your ideas after you get your results in order to get more meaningful feedback.

Some people don't 'wait patiently' for feedback in the same way everyone is 'waiting patiently for their results'

Just like everyone has an opinion on how a comp should run.

Your post in the context of this thread sounds more like a criticism than a suggestion. Be sure to talk more about your ideas after you get your results in order to get more meaningful feedback.

I have no interest in discussing “some people”. My post should sound more like a question (or two). Is “out there” a software aimed to assist homebrew comps? Is there a practice of using such software in NSW? I can’t see how these two questions relate to whatever results I’m gonna have.

It takes someone to develop proof of concept and write it. I believe other states may have done something similar but I you'll find that states are siloed in that respect. Every comp is different in the way they tabulate and publish, it's no different in other countries.

(yawn)..can we please just get back to what this thread is really about, i.e. why cant I say **** in this forum?

Hi everyone,
Please see attached results from last weekends competition.
Congratulations to all prize winners and thank you to all Sponsors, entrants, volunteer judges & stewards involved.
Feedback will be sent out in the mail to the addresses submitted on your electronic entries, and prizes will forwarded to the relevant winners.
It was a great competition this year attracting over 400 entries, many categories spanned multiple judging tables with a mini best of show determining the category winners.
Best of show was judged based off beers available late on Sunday, not all single bottle entries were available.

Attachments

• 2018 NSW Amateur Brewing Championships Results.pdf
    547.1 KB · Views: 297
Well done HUB, Judges, Stewards, and all those that helped organise the comp. 400 beers is some effort.

Congrats to the winners and placegetters. There are some seriously high scoring beers in that result sheet.

Above all I hope that that the feedback and experience for all involved leads to better brewing, judging and appreciation of beer.

Get ready for the Nats.
:cheers:
Cheers Steve

Hi everyone,
Please see attached results from last weekends competition.
Congratulations to all prize winners and thank you to all Sponsors, entrants, volunteer judges & stewards involved.
Feedback will be sent out in the mail to the addresses submitted on your electronic entries, and prizes will forwarded to the relevant winners.
It was a great competition this year attracting over 400 entries, many categories spanned multiple judging tables with a mini best of show determining the category winners.
Best of show was judged based off beers available late on Sunday, not all single bottle entries were available.[/QU

Thanks for all the hard work, guys and well done to everyone!

I have a question about category 14. How does the 3rd place beer, with 74.5 points get in that position when numerically it ranks 8th? I understand a little wiggle room, but that seems pretty massive.

Usually happens when the flight was split over two tables, the top few from each table get tasted against each other.
Sort of like a mini BOS, helps eliminate variance between how hard the judges mark. Mind you there really isn't all that much between the top eight or ten beers (less than 10%) says a lot about the standards this year, they were well up.
Mark

Thanks for all the time and effort put in by the organisers, judges, stewards et al. Had two great days judging, meeting old and new friends, like all involved brewers it was long, intense but great days. Thanks to all the sponsors, take note of who they are and remember their contributions to our wonderful hobby/passion.
My results mean so much for two main reasons. The really high standards of the beers and brewers involved in the NSW Competition. Also the wonderful beers made by the ESB’ers that keep inspiring me and everyone involved. I would meantion all your names but there are too many, but I must congratulate Brett, well done mate. ( OK maybe also Craig, Andrew, Matt, Richard, Michael,etc.)
Again, thanks HUB for a great Comp.

Looking forward to reading my feedback, what i thought was my strongest beer, turned out to be my worst!

Looking forward to reading my feedback, what i thought was my strongest beer, turned out to be my worst!

Might have been a great beer, just not to the style guidelines. When asked the biggest fault you find at competitions, I say the biggest single fault is that the competitor didn't read the style guidelines while tasting their beer and asking themselves, does this brew meet those guidelines. Simple.

Might have been a great beer, just not to the style guidelines. When asked the biggest fault you find at competitions, I say the biggest single fault is that the competitor didn't read the style guidelines while tasting their beer and asking themselves, does this brew meet those guidelines. Simple.
Yep I remember tasting a beautiful APA whilst I was stewarding, but it didn't meat the IPA style guidelines it was submitted to.

Massive thanks to the sponsors and volunteers for making this happen! Excuse my ignorance, but what happens if you place second in a category? Do the top three in each get to submit those same beers to the National comp? Or just first place? Couldn’t find this info on the comp website but probably just user error...

I'm so happy with my results. My first comp and I managed to get into the top 10 within the APA category. Can't wait to see some feedback.

Thanks heaps to everyone involved.

I agree 100%. I had some stellar beers that had to be marked down because they weren't to the style they were entered in.

Massive thanks to the sponsors and volunteers for making this happen! Excuse my ignorance, but what happens if you place second in a category? Do the top three in each get to submit those same beers to the National comp? Or just first place? Couldn’t find this info on the comp website but probably just user error...

The place getters (top 3) get entrance to the nationals.
The idea is that you submit the same beer, but you can submit any beer into the category that you placed in.

Hi all,
A quick update on submitting eligible entries (1st, 2nd & 3rd Places) into the Nationals; this will be via the AABC Website at: http://www.aabc.org.au/ a message on the website states that the Nationals Entry Website is forecast to go live today - Wednesday 26th September.
Please note:
To correspond with the other State/Territories the NSW Comp Results have been updated to include the full names of all entrants, see attached PDF
The updated results also list ESB as the Champion Homebrew Club, congrats to the Club and all entrants who contributed to that result.

Attachments

• 2018 NSW Amateur Brewing Championships Results_Full Names_Runner-ups.pdf
    622.5 KB · Views: 101
Back