2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex.Tas said:
I'm 90% sure possums are responsible for digging up my sugercane mulch. They haven't damaged my plants yet, but i'm pretty sure they will at some stage.

That setup looks brilliant!
The only issue i see with your plan is that if the wind picks up and the branch sways, it may snap your string or snap your anchors.

I cant tell from your photograph if you have one already, but i would include a trampoline spring (or similar) in there. add it where your raising/lowering rope connects to the bridle you have at the top. This way, if the wind picks up and the branch sways, the spring increases in length rather than putting too much strain on the anchors/anchor ropes.

The alternative to this may be to have the ropes loose, so that if the branch pulls on the rope, it doesn't pull on the vine.

I like the spring idea, and I really like over complicating things.
Thanks for the advice i will go with the springs i think,maybe just a bit lighter than a tramp spring theres a bit of flex in the electrical conduit spreader at the top also.

Cass22 said:
Hey guys, my first time growing this year. I have 4 hops going and are all going quite well so far, nice and green, growth noticeable every day. Getting at least 2 shoots from each pot so far and loving it!! 2 x Cascade, 1 x Chinook and 1 x EKG.

One of my shoots about 200mm tall (Chinook Pictured) has lost its tip and I wanted to know if that can cause any growing issues or if it will keep growing as the the others will?

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
My limited experience is that once it you lose the tip it stops advancing, I wouldn't worry too much about it this early on as there will be more that shoot up most likely.
There are quite a few recommendations to cut back the first growth to encourage a stronger growth on the second batch that comes up, so theoretically you could just cut it back.
Another rumour is that if you bury a bine then it will turn into a rhizome.

I usually look for the strongest bines and then cut back a few of the weaker looking ones to encourage the plant to concentrate on the strong ones. You need a metre or two of growth before the bine will produce cones so it probably won't do you any harm to cut it back or bury it as it won't produce anything .

Does anyone in WA have some extra rhizomes they might be willing to part with for cash. PM me if you're interested.

There is a second at the moment that is about half the size, thinking maybe I will just cut it and see how the other one goes. May end up with another 1 or 2 pop up as well soon.

Not real keen on burying it as its a first year so might stress the small root system out a bit.

Cheers for the comments Rob.

Hi anyone got rhizomes to sell, I know a little late in the season but thought I'd ask. Sydney based

Finally getting some cascade bines poking through. No sign as of yet from EKG or chinook..

osprey brewday said:
Thanks for the advice i will go with the springs i think,maybe just a bit lighter than a tramp spring theres a bit of flex in the electrical conduit spreader at the top also.
yeah probably a good idea to use something lighter/looser. the aim is to get the spring to stretch rather than the ropes/vines.

Another alternative would be to have a pulley at the top where you have the rope attached to the tree (you probably already have one there so you can raise it). Instead of tethering the end of the rope to a fixed object, have it attached to a counter weight, so if the branch moves upwards, in high wind the counter weight will rise instead. if you don't want the counterweight hanging perilously over your hops, then you could add another pulley further back along the tree limb to keep it out of the way.
see crap diagram...
Doc.jpg

Alex.Tas said:
yeah probably a good idea to use something lighter/looser. the aim is to get the spring to stretch rather than the ropes/vines.

Another alternative would be to have a pulley at the top where you have the rope attached to the tree (you probably already have one there so you can raise it). Instead of tethering the end of the rope to a fixed object, have it attached to a counter weight, so if the branch moves upwards, in high wind the counter weight will rise instead. if you don't want the counterweight hanging perilously over your CHILDREN, then you could add another pulley further back along the tree limb to keep it out of the way.
see crap diagram...
attachicon.gif
Doc.jpg
FTFY

Bill, I'm not sure you should be allowed to post your pics here anymore. It's going to cause the rest of us 'normal' growers PTSD! ☺

I'm seeing a lot of wet soil with these pests .... Pretty sure we are after moist not wet or water logged soil

Wet soil has next to no oxygen in it and without it your plants will suffer .... I'd suggest water less frequently and changing it up to a free draining soil next season

Most plants hate wet feet

So pests with hops. Any ideas what and how to treat please!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442559918.997992.jpg

BottloBill said:
Hey flav

Neem oil is a good one or I grab some of that chilli and garlic pest spray from the big green shed as it's safe for edibles and alike.
I'll give it a try cheers Bill.

Spohaw said:
I'm seeing a lot of wet soil with these pests .... Pretty sure we are after moist not wet or water logged soil

Wet soil has next to no oxygen in it and without it your plants will suffer .... I'd suggest water less frequently and changing it up to a free draining soil next season

Most plants hate wet feet
Yeh I'd read all this and only water every 3rd day as to trying to avoid water logging. Maybe I'll just give them a light sprinkle every 3rd day until they're bigger. Cheers lads.

Re-using parts from the kids trampoline that was damaged in the last big storm we had in Newcastle. I managed to find a piece of a wall batten or top hat left over from the shed fit out, also used one of the U clamps from the trampoline to build a nifty 10 minute trellis structure.

1442563691228.jpg

flave_7 said:
I'll give it a try cheers Bill.

Yeh I'd read all this and only water every 3rd day as to trying to avoid water logging. Maybe I'll just give them a light sprinkle every 3rd day until they're bigger. Cheers lads.
I have been foliage feeding them first thing in the morning every 3rd day just as the morning sun is hitting them.

Spohaw said:
What dilution bottleo ?
Using miracle grow max feed for vegetables. I have pre made it to the directions, so 11 scoops to 100 litres for soil feeding and a separate batch for foliage feeding that is 3 scoops to 100 litres and administered using a garden sprayer when foliage feeding.

Back