2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smells spicy, quite grassy, touch of fruitiness and the lup is golden and plentiful.

Sadly I don't brew when I'm holidaying over here so might go into a teapot :-S

I really should just buy a couple of bits and pieces and do that one time. Given I'm here once a year that'd give it plenty of time to lager!

Cascade here in Victoria, a good 8 inches. Won't be long now for the rest of them.

cascade1.jpg

Belgrave Brewer said:
Cascade here in Victoria, a good 8 inches. Won't be long now for the rest of them.
Slightly jealous I'm missing out on the early excitment... same part of town, but my 'zomes don't get much sun on the ground right now. ETA for first shoots is late October at best. They do alright once they start to grow into the "sun zone" though (~1m high due to shadow tracks of house, garage, trees, etc).

Going to have to put up with a lot of "look at my shoots!" posts before I see any.... :)

mofox1 said:
Going to have to put up with a lot of "look at my shoots!" posts before I see any.... :)
Yeah I hate those posts!
But i still check this thread all the same.
Maybe I'm a hop masochist.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but what is considered first, second and third growth?? For example the attached pic, would this all be considered first growth?

20150907_161755 (600x800).jpg

mofox1 said:
Slightly jealous I'm missing out on the early excitment... same part of town, but my 'zomes don't get much sun on the ground right now. ETA for first shoots is late October at best. They do alright once they start to grow into the "sun zone" though (~1m high due to shadow tracks of house, garage, trees, etc).

Am hearing ya mate. Nothing poking through in my garden yet.

WP_20150909_10_09_40_Pro.jpg
First growth of Hallertau....
WP_20150909_10_09_29_Pro.jpg
....and Goldings. All this after being away for only a week!
Going to have to get the scissors out. :(

mofox1 said:

AJ80 said:
Am hearing ya mate. Nothing poking through in my garden yet.
If it makes you feel better, the majority of mine are yet to poke their heads up, and most that have, are just sitting there waiting. My 1 Cascade that has taken off must be a mutant.

1-2 foot tall already? Is this climate change or something? I thought my 4 inch tall Victoria sprout (in SE Vic) was a freak.
I still think it is! Many 2nd season nodes poking up but still dealing with top temps of as low as 11c. First 20c day is forecast.

Getting some leaves on them ..... Wish they would grow quicker ...... Want to try clone some

Flinders
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441952899.361105.jpg

Red earth
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441952924.620946.jpg

Different cascade ... I should be able to clone a few of these shoots
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441952966.503467.jpg

Since it has been a while (like, a whole month I think?) since I updated you guys on how my Victoria is going, here is a little update:

klOcrw5.jpg

I did get worried there for a bit because they flat out stopped growing, but they have started to grow again now that they are in the pool area and a few hours more sun.

Also I have a bug problem. I think I'll have to order one of those containers full of 1000 lady bugs to sort things out if the insecticide doesn't sort them out this time.

Latest posts

Back