2013 Sodium Perc / Met BB - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mardoo said:
FWIW I too pre-mixed a portion of the two parts from the last BB. Strictly on a visual basis the reactivity of the pre-mixed was clearly diminished compared to the unmixed. This being based on the amount of gas produced once the chemicals were mixed with water.

MartinOC said:
I'll second "pre-mixed" comments above. I too, premixed a small amount & noticed that it went hard in the container & the reactivity diminished over time compared to the freshly-mixed stuff I first made-up. I now keep them separate & mix as required.

Come to think of it the first month or so of usage I got so much gas I had to crack the tap on my FV when soaking upside down and could visually see it coming out of solution. Now it's very mild.... the available oxygen content would therefore be reduced making it a less strong cleaner.......shit, I've got a large amount left of pre-mixed. Won't be mixing this new batch!!!

PBW don't mix percarbonate with metasilicate for shits and giggles. They do it because it works better. Yes there will be less active oxygen per unit weight but the active oxygen is more effective in combination with the high pH (which the metasilicate provides).

Black n Tan said:
PBW don't mix percarbonate with metasilicate for shits and giggles. They do it because it works better. Yes there will be less active oxygen per unit weight but the active oxygen is more effective in combination with the high pH (which the metasilicate provides).
So by being mixed and forming some type of reaction cos we've made of our own home concoction of PBW, won't cause loss of available oxygen as opposed to keeping both perc and silicate separate and mixing on as as needs basis?

Black n Tan said:
BnT - just checking you read the previous few posts about the premixed perc & met reacting with each other (when dry)?

Still advocating using met, just don't make up a batch of pre-mixed perc+met (dry) compound for later use.

Well.. The word is that the main supplier in Australia has shut down, they aren't sure where it will be sourced from ongoing, it's still being worked on apparently, what that means to us is.. If they now have to import it, the days of cheap perc aren't just numbered, they are over. For the time being at least.

For my part, I guess the perc buy must officially go on hold pending supply.

Not sure about the met, may pay to buzz them and find out if that part can go ahead

Cheers

mofox1 said:
BnT - just checking you read the previous few posts about the premixed perc & met reacting with each other (when dry)?

Still advocating using met, just don't make up a batch of pre-mixed perc+met (dry) compound for later use.
No didn't read the whole thread. PBW is pre-mixed and stable, and I have pre-mixed my own and stored for months without problem. On the one occasion it did go hard on me was because the container wasn't sealed tight and absorbed moisture. So I think it is fine to pre-mix as long as you store it right.

Arse.

Oh well. There's still Aurora Cleaning Supplies in Dandy Sth. Per 5kg; met is $20 and perc is $30. A 25kg bag of perc will set you back $100.

About 3 - 4 times dearer... Arse indeed.

thanks for all the hard yards you've done yob

Black n Tan said:
No didn't read the whole thread. PBW is pre-mixed and stable, and I have pre-mixed my own and stored for months without problem. On the one occasion it did go hard on me was because the container wasn't sealed tight and absorbed moisture. So I think it is fine to pre-mix as long as you store it right.
Any idea if the met you bought was anhydrous or pentahydrate?

mofox1 said:
Any idea if the met you bought was anhydrous or pentahydrate?
Unfortunately doesn't say on the container however website says it is pentahydrate (assuming that is the same stuff as when i bought it). I bought it from aurora.

EDIT: typo

Unaccustomed as I am to verbose & overly-complicated, technical expressions of intense displeasure at the announcement of such ill-timed bad tidings, I will simply say:

****!

DU99 said:
i thought it was "made in china"
You're right... maybe its the importer who has gone bust...

1418984388493.jpg

We're playing a waitin game now is all, just a bit longer than we thought, I have hope that it gets sorted soonish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back