2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just worked out how to attach a picture. Wurtemberger Hop.jpg

Looks like we have quite the contingent of green thumbs here. Top work guys.

I wont even post photos of my hops because they look like shit. I have neglected them a lot this year (I didn't even both to train them). However they get a bit of a feed occassionally and are on automated irrigation so they get plenty to drink, I think my biggest problem is too many hops, not enough space. I've been mainly just building up the health of my crowns with plans to get them properly trained when we move out of this house and I have a little more space for next season.

Currently growing;
- Super alpha
- red earth
- cascade
- saaz
- tettnanger
- p.o.r
- cluster
- victoria
- hallertauer
- my brain tells me there is something else but I'm too lazy to walk down and check

I've got about 10 second year crowns of both super alpha and red earth if anyone in bris is keen to do a swap for a rhizome/cutting of a variety I don't already have?

cheers,
Al

Marybrew said:
[SIZE=11pt]I am in Richmond, Melbourne Vic. and I have a 2 year old [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Wurtemberger hop growing well with many cones forming.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]It grew well last year also so this variety must like the Melbourne climate.[/SIZE]
Isn't Württemberg (actually Baden-Württemberg) the state in Germany where the town of Tettnang is located? I'd hazard a guess they're Tettnang hops...

My Hersbrucker is the best of the five I have planted, so maybe Melbourne is best for Noble stuff? it's growing massively, so much so I had to let down some of the string on my adjustable trellis yesterday to give it more room. The Columbus has all but given up I'm afraid, despite being an entire crown rather than just a rhizome. Cascade is getting really bushy down low, with a couple of bines growing tall. Chinook has 5 healthy bines, but they all seem to have stalled at about 1m. And the Hallertau I planted as an afterthought just to keep it alive has a couple of very deep green, healthy looking bines. No cones on any of these yet though (all 1st year hops).

Its hard to get a good angle on my row..

Hops.JPG

Not as bushy as they were prior to their being a bit starved when I was away, but coming back to health slowly

You got some flowers though aces !
I have good growth but no flowers yet.

I really just want one, just one. To dunk in a beer.
It's not much to ask is it !?!?!

I'm pretty convinced this is a result of this "hottest summer in xx years" crap we keep hearing on the news. Apparently the whole of Australia set some new record for avg temps in 2013, despite our beloved Melbourne doing its red hot (not) best to drag everyone else down.

Next week will be our first real prolonged taste of summer, that should fire up our hops. I can't believe it's coming at the same time as my being away...I'm gonna have to rig up some kind of automatic watering system before I go....

Here's mine. Melbourne's summer is only beginning, so it's a bit late this year. The amount of laterals sprouting the past few days is phenomenal. I spotted 4 new shoots as well, so I put some more strings up. I'm hoping to get enough for a double batch of wet hop pale.

i'm in vic and we're going to have 4 days next week in the high 30's/low 40's, will the hops survive?

obviously they will get a good soaking but i'm worried they'll bake. i'm trying to figure a way of shading them but they are pretty high.

Hitting low to mid forties this weekend in Perth. Hope they survive!
IMG_20140111_105413.jpg

The Chinook was first to have hop cones but the Cascade looks to be fast catching up.

The others are not doing nearly as well but am happy the red earrh is throwing som cones.

All first year in the groundIMG_20140111_105514.jpg

Red Earth hop emerging

IMG_20140111_110002.jpg

My first year growing hops. EkG growing horizontally along the fence and starting to flower.

1389695184575.jpg

1389695227819.jpg

1389695264547.jpg

of mice and gods said:
Currently growing;
- Super alpha
- red earth
- cascade
- saaz
- tettnanger
- p.o.r
- cluster
- victoria
- hallertauer
- my brain tells me there is something else but I'm too lazy to walk down and check

I've got about 10 second year crowns of both super alpha and red earth if anyone in bris is keen to do a swap for a rhizome/cutting of a variety I don't already have?

cheers,
Al
I have two 3rd year chinooks which you chop a rhizome off if you like. I usually dig them up at the end of winter.

CoopsOz said:
Should I be cutting back the smaller bines?
Nope. Commercial growers do this so that all bines grow uniformly and hops ripen uniformly. At a homegrown scale you can pick the hops when ready, even if thats multiple picks.

Other reasons is more leaves = more sugar = stronger rhizome for next year

malt_shovel said:
Hitting low to mid forties this weekend in Perth. Hope they survive!
Hey Malt Shovel,

Just wondering how you find growing your hops in Perth? I know I have missed the season this year but I am looking to get setup ready for next year as I have heard over winter is the best time to try find rhizomes.
Good luck with your harvest!

I'm getting a lot of little green grasshoppers on my hops :(
Anyone know any good natural/organic pesticides?
The Yates Naturalyte I'm using doesn't seem to be doing anything

Better throw up a pic, don't know if I'll get anything off it this year, it seems to be a lot smaller than all the other ones I'm seeing here
20140115_162448.jpg

I hate those bastards. They grow to be much bigger. EXTERMINATE~!!! Spend 1/2 an hour flicking them with your finger and pretend you're godzilla.

Liam_snorkel said:
I hate those bastards. They grow to be much bigger. EXTERMINATE~!!! Spend 1/2 an hour flicking them with your finger and pretend you're godzilla.
This is easily the most efficient way, sprays are for the weak.

Latest posts

Back